The Arbroath Thread

Our best performance of the season so far today in my opinion - absolutely superb from start to finish an thoroughly deserved the win. Great to score 3 goals in a game and for Bobby not to play a part in a couple of them. The defensive unit, and I'd include the role Whatley plays in that infront of them, have been outstanding overall this season and teams are still struggling to break us down for prolonged periods. Also think Scott Stewart has done really well in the two games he's been back for considering he can't be close to fully fit/ match fit.

Pretty relaxed about it tbh, Should be a very easy game, It’s a great chance to beat the record but I think we might just fall short so will go with 33-0 [emoji1145][emoji1145][emoji1145][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji460]️
33nil ? Surely not , looks like your defence is solid though. [emoji26]

38 minutes ago, Talbot supporter said:

33nil ? Surely not , looks like your defence is solid though. emoji26.png

😂😂😂 only joking mate, really excited about the game and all my mates and everyone telling us how tough it will be, We will just have to play our usual game and I am confident we can get through but we have to have the right attitude and mindset which I am sure Dick will know, loved the wee documentary on you guys on last weeks a view from the terrace, Great wee community club with an amazing support and a massive Successful history in the junior game, We will have to respect you guys and be at our best or it will be Irvine Meadow all over again 😰😰😰🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻⚽

Yeah another great result for us today, Our defense has picked itself Really  now for the past couple of  seasons, Excellent foundation and its where our success mainly builds from alongside an energetic and hard working midfield with the odd bit of magic from the frontmen.

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

Just popping in guys to compliment you on how well you're doing flying the part-time flag. That was a sensational result yesterday and this must be close to one of the best teams in Lichties history?

I also said you'd finish above Alloa this season on the Record lower league podcast, so plz keep it up...

Just popping in guys to compliment you on how well you're doing flying the part-time flag. That was a sensational result yesterday and this must be close to one of the best teams in Lichties history?
I also said you'd finish above Alloa this season on the Record lower league podcast, so plz keep it up...

Big game against them next week

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] only joking mate, really excited about the game and all my mates and everyone telling us how tough it will be, We will just have to play our usual game and I am confident we can get through but we have to have the right attitude and mindset which I am sure Dick will know, loved the wee documentary on you guys on last weeks a view from the terrace, Great wee community club with an amazing support and a massive Successful history in the junior game, We will have to respect you guys and be at our best or it will be Irvine Meadow all over again [emoji27][emoji27][emoji27][emoji1145][emoji1145][emoji1145][emoji460]️
Yeah another great result for us today, Our defense has picked itself Really  now for the past couple of  seasons, Excellent foundation and its where our success mainly builds from alongside an energetic and hard working midfield with the odd bit of magic from the frontmen.
Sounds like you have a good balance in your team

I listened to it..... did you not also compare and say our squad was similar to Brechins when they got promoted? MAD

I know we were poor against Dumbarton last season but come on [emoji23]

Very strong group of PT players in goal, defence and in midfield. Pished League 1 while Brechin somehow sneaked up after finishing mid table

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I listened to it..... did you not also compare and say our squad was similar to Brechins when they got promoted? MAD

I know we were poor against Dumbarton last season but come on emoji23.png

Very strong group of PT players in goal, defence and in midfield. Pished League 1 while Brechin somehow sneaked up after finishing mid table

I did, and I'd stick by it tbh. On paper there isn't a huge amount between those teams; Arbroath just have a magical team spirit and a manager who knows what he's doing.

Off the top of my head the Arbroath squad that started the season didn't have too many 'proven' Championship players. Gaston and Jamieson obviously, Jason Thomson, TOB and at a push Greig Spence. Obviously Linn and Swankie too, but they'd spent a long time kicking about in the seaside leagues.

Guys like Doris, Donnelly, Kader and Hamilton had all struggled in the Championship previously, and guys like Little, Whatley and McKenna were proven as very good League One players - but had very little Championship experience to talk of.

I said on our predictions podcast that, despite having a squad that didn't look all that much stronger than the Brechin team who went down, I fancied Arbroath to stay up...and I wasn't quite sure why. There seems to be a magical feel good factor around the whole club and that still seems to be the case.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I did, and I'd stick by it tbh. On paper there isn't a huge amount between those teams; Arbroath just have a magical team spirit and a manager who knows what he's doing.

Off the top of my head the Arbroath squad that started the season didn't have too many 'proven' Championship players. Gaston and Jamieson obviously, Jason Thomson, TOB and at a push Greig Spence. Obviously Linn and Swankie too, but they'd spent a long time kicking about in the seaside leagues.

Guys like Doris, Donnelly, Kader and Hamilton had all struggled in the Championship previously, and guys like Little, Whatley and McKenna were proven as very good League One players - but had very little Championship experience to talk of.

I said on our predictions podcast that, despite having a squad that didn't look all that much stronger than the Brechin team who went down, I fancied Arbroath to stay up...and I wasn't quite sure why. There seems to be a magical feel good factor around the whole club and that still seems to be the case.

Man for Man our team is better than that Brechin team that scored 4points in a whole 36games as proven now after 10 games with have 10more points.

For any other part time teams fans to even still be trying to compare Championship Arbroath and Championship Brechin still is just stupid tbh. 

If you want to come say how well we are going fair enough do it in one line and pop off back to the league 1 forum job done.

Edited by Robertolichtie

1 minute ago, Robertolichtie said:

Man for Man our team is better than that Brechin team that scored 4points in a whole 36games as proven now after 10 games with have 10more points.

For any other part time teams fans to even still be trying to compare Championship Arbroath and Championship Brechin still is just stupid tbh. 

If you want to come say how well we are going fair enough do it in one line and pop off back to the league 1 forum job done.

Bit touchy.

Rewind a few seasons and put Dick Campbell in charge of the Brechin City squad that was just promoted. How do you think they'd have fared? And that's a genuine question by the way, because I honestly think they'd have challenged us hard for ninth at least.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Bit touchy.

Rewind a few seasons and put Dick Campbell in charge of the Brechin City squad that was just promoted. How do you think they'd have fared? And that's a genuine question by the way, because I honestly think they'd have challenged us hard for ninth at least.

Not touchy at all just think the facts speak for themself with 26 games still to go yet. 

Every part time team/club that goes up to the championship has the hand dealt to them regarding manager and players so no point saying if this or that person had been manager it would have been different. 

Can hardly compare the 2 clubs on how they went up either Brechin scrapped 4th and went up in the play offs then spent the extra money they got in paying down debts. 

Arbroath won the league by a fair margin and have improved the squad hence why we are where we are in the league and have competed against all the teams apart from Ayr who blow us away in a 30minute period.

I did, and I'd stick by it tbh. On paper there isn't a huge amount between those teams; Arbroath just have a magical team spirit and a manager who knows what he's doing. Off the top of my head the Arbroath squad that started the season didn't have too many 'proven' Championship players. Gaston and Jamieson obviously, Jason Thomson, TOB and at a push Greig Spence. Obviously Linn and Swankie too, but they'd spent a long time kicking about in the seaside leagues. Guys like Doris, Donnelly, Kader and Hamilton had all struggled in the Championship previously, and guys like Little, Whatley and McKenna were proven as very good League One players - but had very little Championship experience to talk of. I said on our predictions podcast that, despite having a squad that didn't look all that much stronger than the Brechin team who went down, I fancied Arbroath to stay up...and I wasn't quite sure why. There seems to be a magical feel good factor around the whole club and that still seems to be the case.  

Personally think you're speaking shite then.

Our back 4 is as good as you'll get for PT, yet to see a centre half I'd take over ToB to be honest, keepers are as good PT keepers as you'll get, Bobby has been special the last 18 months, Whatley, Gold, McKenna, Stewart are all suited to this level, hard working physical fit players, you won't have even seen Miko or Murphy play.. only area I was worried about was upfront. Whoever has played there has done well.

What Brechin players from that season would get into our team?

Eta; just randomly looked at a line up they put out in a 2-1 defeat to St Mirren. Utter pish. Isaac Layne leading the line supported by guys like Orsi, Sinclair Euan Smith. Willie Dyer and Euan Spark at wing back, Graeme Smith in goal, McLean, Crichton and Fusco at the back, Finn Graham, Ally Love and Lynas on the bench. You've got to be kidding?

Shut up you west coast idiot

On 22/10/2019 at 23:50, 1320Lichtie said:

Would agree with all this lad

Same story for every team mind you but we could easily have a good few more points, other teams will have similar stories though. We definitely were deserved winners in our 3 wins which is very pleasing, especially Alloa which in my opinion is our most complete performance so far

The strikers we have are good players and out and out strikers they just have not got good scoring records which is the problem. Hopefully Scott Stewart getting back fit can give us another good option out wide. Great to see we are still a solid side even in this league and Bobby is on fire up here too.

See DC in his interview from Saturday emphasising all our points especially the ones where we said we were unlucky and should have deservedly had more points 🙌🙌🙌🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻⚽️ Great minds think alike lol.

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Personally think you're speaking shite then.

Our back 4 is as good as you'll get for PT, yet to see a centre half I'd take over ToB to be honest, keepers are as good PT keepers as you'll get, Bobby has been special the last 18 months, Whatley, Gold, McKenna, Stewart are all suited to this level, hard working physical fit players, you won't have even seen Miko or Murphy play.. only area I was worried about was upfront. Whoever has played there has done well.

What Brechin players from that season would get into our team?

Eta; just randomly looked at a line up they put out in a 2-1 defeat to St Mirren. Utter pish. Isaac Layne leading the line supported by guys like Orsi, Sinclair Euan Smith. Willie Dyer and Euan Spark at wing back, Graeme Smith in goal, McLean, Crichton and Fusco at the back, Finn Graham, Ally Love and Lynas on the bench. You've got to be kidding?

I hear you, and there's no doubt that there were a number of jobbers in that team, but quite a few of them you'd have considered solid League One players prior to that campaign: McLean, Crichton, Love, McGeever was in L1 TOTY and looked a smashing signing until he got injured, Andy Jackson had scored consistently every season, James Dale and Liam Watt were solid League One players too. They didn't have the magic of Linn, but in Jackson they had an experienced talisman and goalscorer. 

I think this season's Arbroath squad (on paper, which is how you have to judge things at the start of the season) is far more comparable to that, than to the high profile but ultimately totally disinterested selection of Rangers and Raith rejects assembled by Stevie Aitken and Ian Durrant. We had guys like Craig Barr, Stuart Carswell, Calum Gallagher, Tom Walsh, Chris Johnston, Sam Wardrop and Danny Handling. On paper a team that has far more experience in the Championship (and beyond) than the current Arbroath side. But in reality they were dreadfully lead, lacking team spirit and thoroughly deserved to be relegated. 

This Arbroath squad looks like a case study of synergy. I came on here to praise that. Dick Campbell has done an unbelievable job and he's proving my pre-season prediction right. There's some magic going on at Gayfield and I felt that coming down to Ian McCall's Partick Thistle and leaving with a comfortable win was the time to pay tribute to that.

11 hours ago, ASC1878 said:

Shut up you west coast idiot

Well that's Arbroath not being named as my Team of the Week on the podcast now 😉

Well that's Arbroath not being named as my Team of the Week on the podcast now [emoji6]

Fair enough, you usually are pretty reasonable and balanced, however...

2 years later... 4 of that 11 are playing League 2 just now (Stirling, Edinburgh, Elgin and Stenhousemuir). 2 of them are in the Lowland League (Berwick/East Stirling). 1 is without a club. 3 are in League 1 (Dumbarton, Airdrie and EF) and somehow Orsi has been signed by Morton.

Watt is the only one I'd take at a push (better than Omar) and Crighton is probably better than Wilson (who's barely kicked a ball)

Brechin probably improved last season with Robertson, Tapping, Hill, Burns and Hendry? Would you not say? And they finished bottom of the league we won...?

Maybe I'm getting a wee bit annoyed but as a fan coming into this league the most tedious thing to hear was the comparison to Brechin. Brechin are of zero relevance to us as a club or their team that got promoted. They just so happen to be from the same county and DC has managed us both which is the only reason the comparison happens.

To say we are similar to that Brechin squad is just wrong. Everything backs that up, the fact we have already improved on their points tally in this league by 250% after 10 games ([emoji23]), the fact they sneaked into the Championship while we strolled League 1 and the fact that they probably improved that team last season and finished bottom of League 1 (which we we won).

You're either judging us off of our poor performances against Dumbarton last year or you're being very unfair on the talent we have.

Dick does get something more out of them I would agree, his magic is creating a good atmosphere and that in turn attracts good players which in turn attracts good players.

I'm wondering if any of you lads/lassies could help me with an article for the up and coming Scottish Cup tie at Auchinleck. I want to do a piece on Hugh Robertson who was an Auchinleck lad who played for the Lichties between 1971-73. He played 40 games but retired due to ill health. He took up the post as trainer at Gayfield before moving to manage in Denmark. He won a Scottish cap, The old Division 1 League with Dundee and a Scottish Cup medal with Dunfermline. We are particuarly proud of Hugh who died in 2010, but it would be nice to highlight his time at Arbroath.