All things Dundee FC

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Sure you're not busy enough being dragged Christmas shopping for that?

No I have met my x-mas shopping commitments , so I shall be attending Accies games as per usual, and afterwards wait on the inevitable Dundee defeat filtering through on the classified results roundup.

The problem now is that as the confidence in the camp lowers (by virtue of being bottom of the league) then so does the ability to play McCann's style of football.  A good striker would convert a lot of our chances but we're conceding a lot too.  I actually think we have better defenders than we have for some time.  It all points to McCann's lack of strategy for the players that we have.  And I think that is reflected in his constant tinkering of the team.  

I feel there's a lot of potential but I worry that we're going to go down if we don't become more street wise.

The problem now is that as the confidence in the camp lowers (by virtue of being bottom of the league) then so does the ability to play McCann's style of football.  A good striker would convert a lot of our chances but we're conceding a lot too.  I actually think we have better defenders than we have for some time.  It all points to McCann's lack of strategy for the players that we have.  And I think that is reflected in his constant tinkering of the team.  
I feel there's a lot of potential but I worry that we're going to go down if we don't become more street wise.

Totally agree with this. Our defence in terms of personal is brilliant, I think Hendry, Meekings, Waddell and Kerr would walk into a majority of SPL teams.

We have to start shutting teams out. I don't give a f**k if we get 3/4 goalless draws in a row, at least then we'll have a platform to go on and win games.

Totally agree with this. Our defence in terms of personal is brilliant, I think Hendry, Meekings, Waddell and Kerr would walk into a majority of SPL teams.

We have to start shutting teams out. I don't give a f**k if we get 3/4 goalless draws in a row, at least then we'll have a platform to go on and win games.

I agree with this. However, I think we seen Waddell's less experienced side on Saturday. If you watch the highlights back he made some real clanger mistakes that you'd be annoyed at a Sunday league talent making. He's a top, top talent but I don't think his confidence was helped after being dropped when having a stormer.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I agree with this. However, I think we seen Waddell's less experienced side on Saturday. If you watch the highlights back he made some real clanger mistakes that you'd be annoyed at a Sunday league talent making. He's a top, top talent but I don't think his confidence was helped after being dropped when having a stormer.

Exactly this Ludo.  Young players like Waddell thrive with a bit of arrogance.  Dropping them like what happened to Waddell does them no good.   To make it worse for him did he not get dropped for O’Dea?  

Time to stop the tinkering.  

4 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

You have the worst defensive record in the league

You'd be an idiot to think defensive records are down to individuals within a defence.  In Hendry, Meekings and Waddel, we have excellent defenders.  However, as a team we are too easy to play against.

The constant tinkering by McCann is not helping either. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's nonsense tbf. Hartley was sacked about a month later than he should have been. (The Aberdeen game should have been the end). It was only his final season that was a disaster. The season before was underwhelming but we missed out on the top 6 again in the final day.

The end of 2015/16 season was an absolute disaster, and I wanted him sacked then. Some DFC fans were too busy being happy at Utds dismal time to notice that we werent much better.

The calendar years of 2016 and 2017 have been awful for us.

36 minutes ago, ravabelli said:

McCann's being extremely naive if he sticks to his style of play. Our results against the teams around us in the bottom six are woeful, one point away to Kilmarnock. It ain't working Neil, time for plan B

If he sticks to 'his style of play' then he will be getting the bullet before Christmas. 

Its time to shit-fest the next few games. IMO.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

Our defenders wouldnt walk into most sides, our midfielders cant score or stop chances against them, and our strikers couldnt scores in a brothel with a bundle of £100 notes. 

Its absolutely shyte supporting us, it really is.

Whats the next excuse, refs? squad too big? trying too hard?  The truth is, we have a poor manager, and not very good players.

Edited by srw

28 minutes ago, Muggy said:

You'd be an idiot to think defensive records are down to individuals within a defence.  In Hendry, Meekings and Waddel, we have excellent defenders.  However, as a team we are too easy to play against.

The constant tinkering by McCann is not helping either. 

Individuals in a defence are capable of individual errors leading to the concession of a goal, so your claim is flawed , last Tuesday watching us against Partick was the first sign of small shoots of recovery regarding our atrocious defending in the previous 7 matches, individually I felt our back line performed reasonably , collectively they played adequately, as I wasn't at the game yesterday I can only go on hearsay from fellow Accies fans who felt we defended well individually and as a unit.But your initial point is flawed as I would say at a rough guess 75% of the goals we conceded during our 7 in a row defeats were due to individual and not collective errors. 

1 minute ago, happyaccie said:

Individuals in a defence are capable of individual errors leading to the concession of a goal, so your claim is flawed , last Tuesday watching us against Partick was the first sign of small shoots of recovery regarding our atrocious defending in the previous 7 matches, individually I felt our back line performed reasonably , collectively they played adequately, as I wasn't at the game yesterday I can only go on hearsay from fellow Accies fans who felt we defended well individually and as a unit.But your initial point is flawed as I would say at a rough guess 75% of the goals we conceded during our 7 in a row defeats were due to individual and not collective errors. 

Right, but the context of my point was in relation to the assertion that our defensive record is poor thus our defenders are poor.  That's not the case IMO.  It's how we're set up as a team and our style of play that is leading to the concession of goals.  

Our players simply aren't good enough to carry out the style of play that McCann is trying to adopt.  Simple as that.

2 minutes ago, Muggy said:

Right, but the context of my point was in relation to the assertion that our defensive record is poor thus our defenders are poor.  That's not the case IMO.  It's how we're set up as a team and our style of play that is leading to the concession of goals.  

Our players simply aren't good enough to carry out the style of play that McCann is trying to adopt.  Simple as that.

If you read my previous posts , you will find I am in total agreement with you.

From the outside, reading some of the posts on this thread you have a keeper who is prone to throwing one in, the worst defensive record in the league, a midfield who havent contributed anything in terms of goals this season and an attack that is completely toothless. What exactly are Dundee's 'strengths' that they arent playing to?

3 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

From the outside, reading some of the posts on this thread you have a keeper who is prone to throwing one in, the worst defensive record in the league, a midfield who havent contributed anything in terms of goals this season and an attack that is completely toothless. What exactly are Dundee's 'strengths' that they arent playing to?

I'm not sure.  I think the last derby gave us false hope as a creative, free-flowing footballing side.  I think we've found out that it works against sides like Dundee Utd but certainly doesn't in the top flight.

No idea where we go from here.