All things Dundee FC

I'd be much more confident if we brought in a bit of experience beside McCann to guide him when need be. A Jocky Scott type (Probably not him though). It's his game management that's letting him down and an experienced head could see him avoid making these absolute rookie mistakes.

1. Parish - reserve, untested
  2. Aurtenexte - blah
  3. Meekings - blah
  4. Hendry - success, good player
  5. Kamara - success, very good signing
  6. Spence - ok signing, didnt think he would play
  7. Deacon - not a fan, not final product, flop IMO
  8. Wolters - terrible, massive flop
  9. Allan - massively over rated by some
  10. Moussa - worst player Ive seen, so unbelievably bad
  11. AJLS - ok singing

Thats a team in his 352 formation. Id say 2 good signings, 2 ok signings and 7 flops, not very successful.

Fucking hell guys.
Today was very, very shit but we're definitely not worse than last season. Not yet, anyway. Short memories on show tonight; last season was some of the worst football I've ever seen played at Dens. Yes, we are dire but last year was absolutely putrid football. 
IMO we're one good striker away from a decent side. Decent young defence (the best we've had in years IMO) and a decent midfield. Shite up top, but that's exactly the same as last year. Is Moussa any better or worse than that fucking Yordi clown? Both awful. Kamara does my fucking head in but if anyone is actually saying this squad is worse than Williams, Hateley et al then you need your brain looked at.
Seriously, though. Think we need to all calm down and look at it objectively. Terrible run with some stupid decisions. Will he listen to people and make the required switches? Hartley sure as f**k didn't. 
Just my opinion but I'd give him until the late December run-in. 

I totally agree.

The first 45 today in particular were absolute garbage, changing the team every week, a back 3 - all crap but last season we were way, way worse.

Time for cool heads.

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I totally agree.

The first 45 today in particular were absolute garbage, changing the team every week, a back 3 - all crap but last season we were way, way worse.

Time for cool heads.

Better than last year and we still pump you 3-1 , if that's factual then your in deep poo this season , it looks like your manager is incapable of any flexibility , his philosophy is so identifiable it's easy to set up and play against , any team who deprives you of space to play out from the back will be successful against you, the personnel available to him is incapable of mastering that style , I'm not suggesting you should resort to hoofball but mix it up and it prevents teams playing the high press , if a team commits to the high press the ocassional long ball makes them vulnerable to being caught short at the back, if McCann perseveres with his tippy tippy style ( which I hope he does for purely selfish reasons) I can see Dundee struggling for survival this season.

Hi there, first time commenting. I have usually come to the site and read the thread to see what other dees are saying to it and enjoy reading everyone's opinions. 

I've got to say, that today was a dismal performance IMO. I think what's worrying is we seem to have gone backward in the last two matches, whilst Partick and Killie seem to be finding their feet. It's understandable the fan base to start to question things but I think McCann should be given until the Kilmarnock game. If we lose at home to Kilmarnock then I believe we need a change. I like McCann and I appreciate what he is attempting to do but its a result based industry, as it stands we are bottom. This is predominately McCann's team. Hopefully, we can rally though. 

Thanks for reading :)

Apparently Bain had a go at the Derry today?

He turned round and gestured that people needed to calm down when they were booing him for clipping a good wee ball out to Meekings. I'm 100% with Bain on this issue, some of the people in the Bobby Cox near me are absolutely clueless and would be moaning and bickering if Dundee were in the position Celtic are in. They don't "support", they abuse. I understand this comes from passion and desire for Dundee to do well but it adds nothing for the team, IMO.

Now that rants over, on to yesterday's game.

The worst performance by a long shot since McCann took over, and potentially as bad as the 7-0 to Aberdeen for me.

The defence(3) knock the ball about well and are very comfortable doing what they're asked in regards of starting attacks, but some of the actual defending yesterday was atrocious. I really don't know what needs to be done about it.

I thought the McGowan and Kamara did okay, and Spence had his worst game since signing.

Wolters didn't work as a wing back, offered not much more than Holt going forward and far less defensively. Curran and Kerr are much of a muchness for me. Both get into great positions by design of the tactics, but resort to just pumping balls into the box. I still think all things considered Kerr and Holt are the two first choice full back. Spanish Jon done okay but the timing off his arrival yesterday was awful. You don't make defensive subs in that situation as it creates confusion.

Thought Haber put in a better shift than Wednesday and showed a bit of fight in the first half but offered nothing of any threat in the box. AJLS' movement is really good and he took his penalty well, he made a few decent runs in behind in the first half and was getting frustrated at the ball not being released.

Overall I think the biggest issue is McCann not knowing Dundees best 11. There is a core of a good team there and I think he needs to find a settled team. The constant tinkering is a sign of pressure, IMO. To take 0 points from the last 3 games is simply not good enough while other teams are picking up points.

Possession football works, and creates space in the midfield and pulls players out of position. One thing you need for it to work well though is intensity without the ball. Pep, Klopp et al work on the 3-5 second rule in regards of winning the ball back when you lose it. At the start of the season Dundee had this intense high press without the ball and it was what helped with the performances. The last month or so, it's gone and that, for me, is what causes a lot of issue. I'd like to see that intense press without the ball compliment the possession with the ball.

Better than last year and we still pump you 3-1 , if that's factual then your in deep poo this season , it looks like your manager is incapable of any flexibility , his philosophy is so identifiable it's easy to set up and play against , any team who deprives you of space to play out from the back will be successful against you, the personnel available to him is incapable of mastering that style , I'm not suggesting you should resort to hoofball but mix it up and it prevents teams playing the high press , if a team commits to the high press the ocassional long ball makes them vulnerable to being caught short at the back, if McCann perseveres with his tippy tippy style ( which I hope he does for purely selfish reasons) I can see Dundee struggling for survival this season.

I don’t know if you were there yesterday but Hamilton didn’t play with a high press, they let us play the ball out and throttled the midfield. And very successful it was.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

I don’t know if you were there yesterday but Hamilton didn’t play with a high press, they let us play the ball out and throttled the midfield. And very successful it was.

I wasn't at the game, so we played the secondary press/ condense the 2nd/3rd of the pitch which can still be combated by mixing things up , Dundee do not have the playing personnel available to attain the philosophy McCann is trying to instill, if he insists , and going by his post match comments he intends to continue with this idea he can introduce a Barcelona style of play into Scottish football he is severely deluded, 1 the opposition in Scotland do not afford you the same space/time in possession as teams in Spain do. 2 even if space/time was allowed the players in Dundee with all due respect lack the technique required to pull this style of football off , 3 and McCann himself seems to think he has the coaching excellence to fulfill this philosophy, I have said previously if he continues to deploy this philosophy Dundee will struggle to retain their SPL status come May 2018.

I wasn't at the game, so we played the secondary press/ condense the 2nd/3rd of the pitch which can still be combated by mixing things up , Dundee do not have the playing personnel available to attain the philosophy McCann is trying to instill, if he insists , and going by his post match comments he intends to continue with this idea he can introduce a Barcelona style of play into Scottish football he is severely deluded, 1 the opposition in Scotland do not afford you the same space/time in possession as teams in Spain do. 2 even if space/time was allowed the players in Dundee with all due respect lack the technique required to pull this style of football off , 3 and McCann himself seems to think he has the coaching excellence to fulfill this philosophy, I have said previously if he continues to deploy this philosophy Dundee will struggle to retain their SPL status come May 2018.

I thought not.

51 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I thought not.

I know Motherwell fans who were up on Wednesday and Accies fans who were there yesterday , the 7 of them all have the same opinion McCann is asking his players to employ a style which is in excess of their skill sets , if being dragged Christmas shopping which prevented me from attending , deems me as being unable to form an opinion it shows how thick you are. 

I know Motherwell fans who were up on Wednesday and Accies fans who were there yesterday , the 7 of them all have the same opinion McCann is asking his players to employ a style which is in excess of their skill sets , if being dragged Christmas shopping which prevented me from attending , deems me as being unable to form an opinion it shows how thick you are. 

You know ALL the Accies fans that were there? Wow.

You may or not be right but if you haven’t actually seen us play you’re talking out of the hole in your arse.

Being dragged Christmas shopping in October and unable to go to the football. Fucking hell [emoji38]