All things Dundee FC

56 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

But they didn’t 

They didn't but they were pretty comfortable. We kept missing out our midfield and just launched it up top. The midfield were meh today. For me that was probably what edged United the win today. Tactics again was all wrong. Again this is no surprise. 

Rangers next at home so should be looking to get something at home. 

2 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

They didn't but they were pretty comfortable. We kept missing out our midfield and just launched it up top. The midfield were meh today. For me that was probably what edged United the win today. Tactics again was all wrong. Again this is no surprise. 

Rangers next at home so should be looking to get something at home. 

They were comfortable for the 1st 20 minutes of the 2nd half when we bizarrely sat off them but done hee-haw with it. What edged if for Yenited was their last ditch defending and our bad finishing. Nothing more, nothing less. 

6 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

They were comfortable for the 1st 20 minutes of the 2nd half when we bizarrely sat off them but done hee-haw with it. What edged if for Yenited was their last ditch defending and our bad finishing. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Meh. Here they are on 10 points and us on 3 and I didn't think they were really that good, more so thought Fuchs / harkes had a gd game. We have no creativity as soon as Adam is out. I like Mcghee and Byrne but they need some help going forward. I like Anderson and I big him up but last while I feel he could do with dropping to the bench. I dont see where we fit McGowan in so ideally he is on the bench . Cummings should be starting over Griffiths, but because he is Griffiths I presume he will carry on starting.

Back 4 I don't think are good at all so we just need to try out score our opposition. Scoring first would be a start. 

Our Goalkeeper I have no problem with. His kicking isn't the greatest if anything.

Other than that, a manager who knows how to use his substitutions properly or change the game when is needed and I think we could turn a corner. Until then however ... f**k knows 

Very pleasantly surprised dundee didn't start with Cummings and griffiths, was worried about both running at us, thought we would win midfield battle, but were outplayed first 30-35 mins, griffiths visibly tired or stop trying, needed help. 2nd half we started much better and kept pressure on, strange subbies by dundee. Our defence were at their very best today, thought it was a good game without being fantastic. We shaded it with overall play. 

13 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

What edged if for Yenited was their last ditch defending and our bad finishing. 

I posted this in the match thread but the amount of chances they 'created' simply by the ball falling to another one of their players after the first one was dispossessed was hilarious it's even how their goal came about. 

There was no skill involved just a mad blooter that the goalie should have kept out. 

I'm still at a loss as to why Sheridan never took the shot on. Its a simple side foot finish. 

14 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Meh. Here they are on 10 points and us on 3 and I didn't think they were really that good, more so thought Fuchs / harkes had a gd game. We have no creativity as soon as Adam is out. I like Mcghee and Byrne but they need some help going forward. I like Anderson and I big him up but last while I feel he could do with dropping to the bench. I dont see where we fit McGowan in so ideally he is on the bench . Cummings should be starting over Griffiths, but because he is Griffiths I presume he will carry on starting.

Back 4 I don't think are good at all so we just need to try out score our opposition. Scoring first would be a start. 

Our Goalkeeper I have no problem with. His kicking isn't the greatest if anything.

Other than that, a manager who knows how to use his substitutions properly or change the game when is needed and I think we could turn a corner. Until then however ... f**k knows 

The best midfielder on the park was comfortably Byrne. Boys like McMullan, McCowan and Jakubiak are the creative players. 

For me Gowser doesn’t start today, he either starts in the middle or on the bench imo. McPake killed the game last week taking off Jakubiak and McCowan and somehow both find themselves out the starting 11 today 🤦🏻‍♂️

Start Cummings with Griffiths instead of 1 over the other. 

The substitutions throughout McPake’s tenure have left me perplexed and pissed off at times. 

Getting knocked out the cup on Wednesday doesn’t bare thinking about 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Yenitit

I posted this in the match thread but the amount of chances they 'created' simply by the ball falling to another one of their players after the first one was dispossessed was hilarious it's even how their goal came about. 
There was no skill involved just a mad blooter that the goalie should have kept out. 
I'm still at a loss as to why Sheridan never took the shot on. Its a simple side foot finish. 

Think that’s a wee bit harsh. It was a great last ditch challenge. Griffiths blootered one over the bar from 4 yards.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I’m in total agreement with you. At no point until they scored did I think they would’ve. Decent enough strike by Harkes but the keeper has to save it. 

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

Think that’s a wee bit harsh. It was a great last ditch challenge. Griffiths blootered one over the bar from 4 yards.

Griffiths chance was at hip height. 

Sheridan took so long that Mulgrew - who had lost the aerial challenge against Griffiths ten yards to the right - landed, composed himself, made up the difference in distance and still got to the ball before Sheridan had even attempted a shot. 

11 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

The keeper is a big step up from what we had but he should be saving that goal today. No question.

He's a weird keeper in that his only weakness is his shot stopping. He'll never bail the team out with a wonder save that no-one expects him to make and he let's the odd one in that isn't a howler but you think he really should be keeping it out.

His presence, organisational skills and bravery are all absolutely top notch. That punch when the free kick came in during the first half was brave as f**k. Can easily picture the likes of Bain, Letheren, Hamilton and pretty much most of our keepers since Rab either wildly flapping at that ball or just watching the ball hit the net as they remained glued to their line.

The Sheridan chance was a disgraceful bit of play to allow an absolutely brilliant last ditch tackle in. He had plenty of time to compose himself and finish or just smash it in the net first time. Little wonder his goalscoring record throughout is career is absolutely pish.

Griffiths chance wasn't near being a sitter for me. He was waiting to the ball coming down to a strikable height but had to lash at it as the defender was recovering in time. One a fully fit Griffiths scores, but that's only because I rate him as one of the best in the league. Hard chance.

I do think that Griffiths didn't look interested though. Cummings caused a bit more chaos in his 10 minutes than Griffiths did after the first 20 IMO.

15 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

The best midfielder on the park was comfortably Byrne. Boys like McMullan, McCowan and Jakubiak are the creative players. 
I agree regarding 3 players mentioned but we need it in the middle of the park also. McCowan should have started.

For me Gowser doesn’t start today, he either starts in the middle or on the bench imo. McPake killed the game last week taking off Jakubiak and McCowan and somehow both find themselves out the starting 11 today 🤦🏻‍♂️

Agreed

Start Cummings with Griffiths instead of 1 over the other. 
Who do you drop in midfield?I'm all for it providing they get the service as we no our defence is shite 

The substitutions throughout McPake’s tenure have left me perplexed and pissed off at times. 

This I agree with strongly and has cost us alot 

Getting knocked out the cup on Wednesday doesn’t bare thinking about 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wednesday, then Rangers in league next. 3 from 21 points can't be happening. Just hope rest around us lose also. 

18 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I’m in total agreement with you. At no point until they scored did I think they would’ve. Decent enough strike by Harkes but the keeper has to save it. 

Did you think before the game that we could genuinely beat this lot? If anything I hoped we just wouldn't get beat and take something or this may be the game we could win and kick start our season. Obviously not to be but I was never confident we were going to win. Right now just don't see it especially if we have a manager who dosnt have any plan B at all when things go different to the way he wants it too.

Griffiths chance was at hip height. 
Sheridan took so long that Mulgrew - who had lost the aerial challenge against Griffiths ten yards to the right - landed, composed himself, made up the difference in distance and still got to the ball before Sheridan had even attempted a shot. 

I honestly think people will give Griffiths the benefit but have already made up their minds about Sheridan. Griffiths chance wasn’t a sitter but neither was Sheridan’s IMO.

8 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I honestly think people will give Griffiths the benefit but have already made up their minds about Sheridan. Griffiths chance wasn’t a sitter but neither was Sheridan’s IMO.

Griffiths has to score as does Sheridan. If Sheridan takes his 1st touch slightly to his left Mulgrew doesn’t have a chance of getting back. Griffiths is probably better in hindsight to take a touch as the fullback and keeper comes rushing out and putting it in the far corner. Either way both should be in the back of the net as should Byrne’s effort.  

The block on Byrne and Marshall’s efforts are lucky as f**k. 

Edited by Yenitit

Folks need to temper their expectations a little bit here. We were fucking dreadful last season, almost right up to the play-offs (remember?) and we haven't added a huge amount of quality to the squad ( He's good but he's not fit, and boy does it show). If we finish 10th this season, that is a brilliant result. If we finish 11th, it's not that unexpected and it's still pretty good. You didn't really think we'd be banging on the door of the top 6 did you? The biggest surprise is that the Dabs aren't one place above us. Fair fucks to them. 

3 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Folks need to temper their expectations a little bit here. We were fucking dreadful last season, almost right up to the play-offs (remember?) and we haven't added a huge amount of quality to the squad ( He's good but he's not fit, and boy does it show). If we finish 10th this season, that is a brilliant result. If we finish 11th, it's not that unexpected and it's still pretty good. You didn't really think we'd be banging on the door of the top 6 did you? The biggest surprise is that the Dabs aren't one place above us. Fair fucks to them. 

My expectations was to strengthen the defence over the summer but bizarrely that seems to have been virtually overlooked. I was expecting a bottom 4 consisting of us, the filth, Livingston and Ross County with us hopefully  9th or 10th. 

13 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

My prediction is 11th or 12th. The biggest bit being we didn't strengthen at all in defence. What you have said regarding last season I won't go on about as well like some have said mcpake job was to get us promoted and he did so fair fucks( I don't see it like this but that's just down to me). My issue I have is we can't be starting the season in February in the top flight and expect to finish 9th or 10th. 

There is a thread somewhere you will find predictions and many have us doing alright this year ( which is nuts ), think they just look to see who we have on paper and not who is in charge. 

Edited by Robin.Hood