All things Dundee FC

58 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Really need to be doing better than Ashcroft in the Prem but I'm not devastated by the news.

I think @Yenititis spot on in that a competent CB that has been influential for us over the last 18 months is now the benchmark we have to improve upon. He's not the type/quality of player we should be releasing if we want to improve overall. Having him here is good.

6 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

I think @Yenititis spot on in that a competent CB that has been influential for us over the last 18 months is now the benchmark we have to improve upon. He's not the type/quality of player we should be releasing if we want to improve overall. Having him here is good.

I sadly can't agree with. I would agree in the championship he did decent and was a threat against part time / full time teams but in the top flight it took under 2 minutes for him to be found out in the top flight. If we were to get relegated I'd be okay with him in the championship but no way I want him as a starting player in this league. Again our position in the league isn't a shock to anyone with this defence we have. 

49 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

I sadly can't agree with. I would agree in the championship he did decent and was a threat against part time / full time teams but in the top flight it took under 2 minutes for him to be found out in the top flight. If we were to get relegated I'd be okay with him in the championship but no way I want him as a starting player in this league. Again our position in the league isn't a shock to anyone with this defence we have. 

Agreed.

If we stay up we know how much McPake likes Kerr so we are looking at having Ashcroft & Kerr in our starting 11 next season. 

That's already not promising for the club moving forward.

I think i've gotten to the stage now where it doesn't matter what McPake does this season we need new direction, ideas and a new identity as a club. 

If we stay up i'd love the board to show some real backbone and thank McPake for all his efforts but move in a new direction. That would show some real forward thinking and a desire to get this club back to a level it should be operating.

We need to stop bringing in ex players, stop employing managers who are connected with the club and move fucking forward. It really doesn't take much to be a constant within this league. A semi competent scouting system would be a start. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Dundee-FC92

regarding griffiths..now this is just me speaking from experience...we all know he has got menal health issues IF he is taking medication ie antidepressants some of them will give you weight gain(mirtrazipine)im on them and believe me my weight rocketed from 11st-15st and no amount of golf/exercise shifts it..for all we know hes knocking his pan in but just cant shift the weight.

I think [mention=63631]Yenitit[/mention]is spot on in that a competent CB that has been influential for us over the last 18 months is now the benchmark we have to improve upon. He's not the type/quality of player we should be releasing if we want to improve overall. Having him here is good.

I agree too. All CH’s make mistakes. Hendry makes them, Gallagher makes them - in fact I’m not convinced big Declan is any better than our man.

The board need to act. Look at Hibs, Ross not working in their opinion, get any Maloney. He may not work either but he’s made some pretty positive moves already.

3 hours ago, Ronny Hotdogs said:

I can't say I feel sorry for him to be honest, we've given him a decent wage (no doubt) and a chance to get his life/ career back on track and he hasn't taken it, that's all his own doing.

I accepted him coming to Dundee unfit because he appears to have gone through some personal issues and wasn't playing at Celtic but he's been at Dundee since August, has been largely ineffective and is clearly unfit with a pot belly. That's totally unprofessional in my opinion and isn't the sign of a player that really cares.

He'll be at Kelty Hearts next season, I can't see many teams touching him.

Is it really that much of a shock, expectations were obviously high but there was always a good possibility that given he’s a complete diddy he would flop. He may get another shot at a Premiership club who are desperate but after he flops there I think it’s going to be downhill all the way.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Handing Ashcroft a new deal is truly unacceptable. That's basically saying we have to accept shite and mediocrity. 

Devastated. 

100% this. Not buying that he's the basis to build from.

Building from a shitey, unstable wall just leads to shite foundations IMO.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Handing Ashcroft a new deal is truly unacceptable. That's basically saying we have to accept shite and mediocrity. 

Devastated. 

I’d settle for mediocrity, if it also meant stability

we are Dundee, mediocre is honestly the best we can hope for

13 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Devastated. 

I agree, although I am not a fan of his as a defender, he can be quite handy on attacking corners/set pieces.

4 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Would offer Griffiths a years deal, same money as what everyone else is on, mega pay days are gone mate, take it or leave it.

Thank you.

Tbh I'd punt him back to Celtic if we've got a break clause. Either that or tell Celtic they can cover his entire wage for the remainder of the season for him to stay here. Could we offer him a PCA dependent on him reaching agreed levels of fitness? His physical condition at the moment is unacceptable for a professional footballer. 

8 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Agree, but you could say the same about Charlie. 

Tbf Charlie's game has never needed him to be a pinnacle of athleticism. Griffiths in his younger days was a machine - thinking back to a couple of OF games where he utterly demolished Rangers at Ibrox not all that long ago. His career is on a speedy downward spiral, unless he sorts himself out and gets fit. I don't think he can be a remotely effective top tier player unless he does so, and quick. 

38 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Tbf Charlie's game has never needed him to be a pinnacle of athleticism. Griffiths in his younger days was a machine - thinking back to a couple of OF games where he utterly demolished Rangers at Ibrox not all that long ago. His career is on a speedy downward spiral, unless he sorts himself out and gets fit. I don't think he can be a remotely effective top tier player unless he does so, and quick. 

Every manger Griffiths has played under Celtic has criticised his fitness 

Deila

RONNY DEILA has warned Leigh Griffiths he must become a 24-hour athlete – and search inside himself for answers if he wants to revive his Celtic career”

Rodgers

"What I've said to him is about making sure the talent is a working talent," said the Celtic manager. 

"Because talent's not good enough on its own.

"You have to work at it - and it's a cycle. It's one where, when he's playing and fit, Leigh's very good but can still work harder in training”

Lennon

"Then he comes back completely out of condition, way, way behind any of the rest of them and for me, that was totally unacceptable.

"During the lockdown, the three months off, we opened the training ground. You couldn't come into the building but my fitness coach set up fitness training for the players every day.

"So you would come in, in groups of two, and train for an hour a day - fitness work, every day.

"Callum McGregor, Scott Brown, James Forrest, Greg Taylor, Jonny Hayes - all the lads that lived in Scotland came in. Leigh didn't come in one day, not one day during the lockdown. You can take a horse to water but you can't force it to drink”

He’s not some daft wee boy anymore

He’s 31 

Talent can only take you so far, especially when you’re older 

Edited by Clown Job

33 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Every manger Griffiths has played under Celtic has criticised his fitness 

Deila

RONNY DEILA has warned Leigh Griffiths he must become a 24-hour athlete – and search inside himself for answers if he wants to revive his Celtic career”

Rodgers

"What I've said to him is about making sure the talent is a working talent," said the Celtic manager. 

"Because talent's not good enough on its own.

"You have to work at it - and it's a cycle. It's one where, when he's playing and fit, Leigh's very good but can still work harder in training”

Lennon

"Then he comes back completely out of condition, way, way behind any of the rest of them and for me, that was totally unacceptable.

"During the lockdown, the three months off, we opened the training ground. You couldn't come into the building but my fitness coach set up fitness training for the players every day.

"So you would come in, in groups of two, and train for an hour a day - fitness work, every day.

"Callum McGregor, Scott Brown, James Forrest, Greg Taylor, Jonny Hayes - all the lads that lived in Scotland came in. Leigh didn't come in one day, not one day during the lockdown. You can take a horse to water but you can't force it to drink”

He’s not some daft wee boy anymore

He’s 31 

Talent can only take you so far, especially when you’re older 

So your saying, it's Celtic's fault.