All things Dundee FC

3 minutes ago, Crawford said:

This gif for all things James McPake.

giphy.gif

Indeed. Had a lot of time for McPake but he just comes across as a weird, petty man that can't wait to speak about us.

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

Mrs showed me that earlier and I have never been more embarrassed for this city.

Dreadful flow, ugly dogs, no uniform 2/10

I really wanted to like it. A music video in front of a multi in Lochee could have been my new favourite thing. But it's proper entry-level, generic guff. Boy's about 14 talking about cooking crack ffs.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I know it's 'old school' and frowned upon now, but my solution would be 'Bring back National Service'. Get these fuckwits into a military training camp, get them marching around, improve their fitness and mindset, and instill a bit of discipline into them.

It's the only way really.

Thank you.

:lol: 

Edited by RawB93

3 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

He's an idiot, just got to look at his twitter nonsense.

Yeah, searching his name on Twitter to argue and tell a 16 year old Pars fan to come to the ground and say it to his face (after the Pars fan did make a wildly inappropriate comment tbf) and then repeatedly calling said Pars fan a p***k and to still come to the club the next day after the lad was absolute grovelling in an apology.

McPake deleted his Twitter the next day.

Lends credence to the daft rumours that he used to send abusive texts to Cammy when he got pished after a game.

29 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Posted this on the Dunfermline thread but relevant here as well:

McPake's comments are bizarre. Again, his whole interview in The Courier is about Dundee on Craig Wighton signing an extension for you.

I really don't get where he's coming from either - he's blaming our board (whom he's still clearly very bitter about punting him) for our managers (who were excellent apparently) for playing Craig Wighton.

For one, he says Neil McCann was 'excellent' with him - it was him that punted him to Hearts for nothing and he wasn't around when the manager McPake can never name (Jim McIntyre) because he doesn't like him.

Secondly, Finlay Robertson got the exact same 'hero' treatment Wighton did when he broke through - only Wighton got elevated after he relegated United.  That has nothing to do with the board and is just natural for a fanbase to go wild about a youth player breaking through that ends up sticking the ultimate dagger into your rivals. That has absolutely nothing to do with board.

John Brown, Paul Hartley & Neil McCann's handling of Wighton as a youth player can be questioned, but baffling that McPake finds the need to have yet another pop at Dundee which has become a semi-regular thing these days.

Just find it bizarre this chip McPake has on his shoulder and seems to mention us almost every couple of weeks.

On the whole though, absolutely delighted Craig Wighton is doing well for you lads and finally settling with a club. Always had the talent just not always the application.

If he does have a chip on his shoulder about our club then he’s one hardnecked you know what. The club went above and beyond looking after him from the moment he got injured going forward. I think they put him through his coaching badges then elevated him way beyond his means. He should never have gotten the manager’s job when he did imo. His time for me should’ve been the next manager after when he got the job if he proved himself with the under 18s. He gets credit somehow regards Lyall, Josh and Finlay when he had very little to do with their progression through the club. They were already on the books when he landed the under 18s job, he even played in bounce games with them when he was only a player trying to regain fitness.

He then would’ve been chased out the door by the punters during the covid season for such a poor 2/3rds of a season that culminated in us having a run of around a dozen games at the end of the season that saw Adam, McGhee and Byrne grab the team by the scruff of the neck and somehow got us promoted. 

He left us in a c**t of a position with the contracts he gave out that we are only about over now. 

Wighton wasn’t the same player after he done his cruciate and it was a great piece of business we did in getting 250k for him. Don’t think he starts for Dunfermline in Division 1 every game so that tells you all you need to know about Craig’s development  

Having said all that I don’t think he does have a chip on his shoulder about the club. 

Edited by Yenitit

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Posted this on the Dunfermline thread but relevant here as well:

McPake's comments are bizarre. Again, his whole interview in The Courier is about Dundee on Craig Wighton signing an extension for you.

I really don't get where he's coming from either - he's blaming our board (whom he's still clearly very bitter about punting him) for our managers (who were excellent apparently) for playing Craig Wighton.

For one, he says Neil McCann was 'excellent' with him - it was him that punted him to Hearts for nothing and he wasn't around when the manager McPake can never name (Jim McIntyre) because he doesn't like him.

Secondly, Finlay Robertson got the exact same 'hero' treatment Wighton did when he broke through - only Wighton got elevated after he relegated United.  That has nothing to do with the board and is just natural for a fanbase to go wild about a youth player breaking through that ends up sticking the ultimate dagger into your rivals. That has absolutely nothing to do with board.

John Brown, Paul Hartley & Neil McCann's handling of Wighton as a youth player can be questioned, but baffling that McPake finds the need to have yet another pop at Dundee which has become a semi-regular thing these days.

Just find it bizarre this chip McPake has on his shoulder and seems to mention us almost every couple of weeks.

On the whole though, absolutely delighted Craig Wighton is doing well for you lads and finally settling with a club. Always had the talent just not always the application.

McPake is talking nonsense. If a player is good enough, he should play no matter the age. It is purely down to team management how a player progresses on the pitch and imo, McPake included, none of those managers gave him what he really needed at the time, a bit of bulk and playing him in the same position every week. 

He should really assess his own time in management, would rather he signed a bulked out DAB slayer than Griffiths.

9 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

If he does have a chip on his shoulder about our club then he’s one hardnecked you know what. The club went above and beyond looking after him from the moment he got injured going forward. I think they put him through his coaching badges then elevated him way beyond his means. He should never have gotten the manager’s job when he did imo. His time for me should’ve been the next manager after when he got the job if he proved himself with the under 18s. He gets credit somehow regards Lyall, Josh and Finlay when he had very little to do with their progression through the club. They were already on the books when he landed the under 18s job, he even played in bounce games with them when he was only a player trying to regain fitness.

He then would’ve been chased out the door by the punters during the covid season for such a poor 2/3rds of a season that culminated in us having a run of around a dozen games at the end of the season that saw Adam, McGhee and Byrne grab the team by the scruff of the neck and somehow got us promoted. 

He left us in a c**t of a position with the contracts he gave out that we are only about over now. 

Wighton wasn’t the same player after he done his cruciate and it was a great piece of business we did in getting 250k for him. Don’t think he starts for Dunfermline in Division 1 every game so that tells you all you need to know about Craig’s development  

Having said all that I don’t think he does have a chip on his shoulder about the club. 

Him starting his strongest team in the Challenge Cup against us (whilst his team had injuries and a much bigger game on the Saturday) was the first thing that caught my eye (and a few Dunfermline fans on here mentioned that was a bit wild at the time) but no big deal there.

Last month, after signing a new deal with Dunfermline he said this:

To come into a club where the backing is there and the support is there. That support I don’t class from Board level down to the groundsman and I don’t class it up the way from groundsman to Board level. I just think everyone here is together and, no matter what your job is at this football club, everybody wants to do it to the best they can.

Whether that is having the pitch as good as it is, which has been fantastic all season, or if it’s Margaret (Miller), Craig (Brown), anybody that you come across here just wants to help this football club. That’s what helps as well. We cannot underestimate the support staff, it is not just a group of players, myself, and Dave. There are people like Monty (Gary Montignani) and the work he does. The work that goes in is just incredible.

“There is never an issue. We weren’t used to that (at Dundee) and when you come in here it just shows what the Board has done since they have taken over the club.

Just seems to like having a wee pop.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Him starting his strongest team in the Challenge Cup against us (whilst his team had injuries and a much bigger game on the Saturday) was the first thing that caught my eye (and a few Dunfermline fans on here mentioned that was a bit wild at the time) but no big deal there.

Last month, after signing a new deal with Dunfermline he said this:

Just seems to like having a wee pop.

That’s the 1st time I’ve read that piece from him when he got his new deal. Think you’ve  proven me wrong and he’s probably got a gripe to bear with the club. That could be interpreted that he’s even having a pop at our groundsmen. 

Let’s see how he does with his recruitment at Dunfermline in the Championship and if he still can only manage to sign mates and players he played against. He was raving about the guy Joe Chalmers on the radio after our game midweek. Nae offence to the laddie but the boy Chalmers is absolute dug meat. Probably got him playing out of position at right back right enough. 

Bottom line is McPake was a hopeless manager for us.  He had to go.  In fact he should never have been given the gig in the first place.  I’m more inclined to think McPake is making negative comments about Dundee to try to deflect from his appalling record as a manager with us.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Bottom line is McPake was a hopeless manager for us.  He had to go.  In fact he should never have been given the gig in the first place.  I’m more inclined to think McPake is making negative comments about Dundee to try to deflect from his appalling record as a manager with us.

Fact is when he was injured the club went above and beyond to help him including multiple surgeries after it became clear that he wouldn't be playing for us again.

He did have a semi promising record with the juniors and, as you rightly said, should never have been given the top job. Even when the results didn't come, he was given far too much time to sort it out and it ended how it did.

For all of the above to be reduced to him in anyway showing the club in a bad light gives you all the measure you need of wee James.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m sure other fans were saying the year before last that McPake was an absolute w**k. Those comments aren’t surprising. He’ll be found out when Dunfermline come up next year. 

This. By most accounts hes one of the biggest dickheads you can find on the touchline, clearly has a rake of chips on his shoulder from his playing days so spends half his time in slanging matches. Thats when hes not trying to get folk down with injuries booked for timewasting, even when theyre getting stretchered off.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

This. By most accounts hes one of the biggest dickheads you can find on the touchline, clearly has a rake of chips on his shoulder from his playing days so spends half his time in slanging matches. Thats when hes not trying to get folk down with injuries booked for timewasting, even when theyre getting stretchered off.

Dave Mackay is a w**k as well. There was a game at Somerset where he spent the game up one of the scaffoldings next to the Dundee media boys doing the highlights. Didn’t appreciate Ayr fans constantly telling him to stop moaning at the ref and started showing them replays on a laptop of “fouls” committed on Dundee players. Just comes across as a proper wee guy. 

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m sure other fans were saying the year before last that McPake was an absolute w**k. Those comments aren’t surprising. He’ll be found out when Dunfermline come up next year. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Suppose these are the things you don't really notice when they're representing your club. For a large part, he just came across as an honest, up front, decent guy that wasn't a good manager. He was a bit of an unnecessary arse to Paul Hartley (whom he gets on with) on the touchline when we played Cove but again had just dismissed that as him going a bit over the top with someone he's pals with.

That Dave Mackay story is hilarious though @D'Jaffo

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Suppose these are the things you don't really notice when they're representing your club. For a large part, he just came across as an honest, up front, decent guy that wasn't a good manager. He was a bit of an unnecessary arse to Paul Hartley (whom he gets on with) on the touchline when we played Cove but again had just dismissed that as him going a bit over the top with someone he's pals with.

That Dave Mackay story is hilarious though @D'Jaffo

Was funny aye and he was getting more and more worked up the more the home fans were having a go at him. There’s a wee wall between the main stand and the scaffolding and this fud started leaning over it with a MacBook trying to show some auld guy footage of Stephen Kelly going in on one of your players. The auld boy couldn’t have been leas interested and just wanted to watch the game. 

Genuinely don't get why McPake is so bitter. He must surely realise that Nelms backed him to a greater extent than any manager I can remember, both in terms of acquiring players and not binning him, not matter how shite results were. 

Ultimately Charlie Adam bailed him out of a likely 5th/6th place finish to get through the play offs to the Prem, a gig for which McPake was completely incapable of. He should be thankful he wasn't emptied well before he eventually was. 

9 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

As I was walking back from Dens on Tuesday I thought to myself that if promotion were to happen then this would be the most satisfying in a while. It's not because we would be running away with the league or convincing performances every week. It is satisfying because this feels like a proper change in the page for the club - I suppose that makes it irrelevant if we go up or not. It means a real change in the squad and an opportunity to build a really competitive one especially if promotion were to happen. 

Bowyer would have a chance to prove to his critics that he can build a good team on what would be a decent budget and yes we do need some sort of continuity with certain players being carried forward but I think we can guess now which ones they would be as a few haven't featured properly for a while now.

Exciting times.

Funny but I’ve been thinking exactly the same. Bowyer hadn’t had the backing that other managers have had, he’s taken time (mistakes along the way) but he’s getting there now. When we play with confidence (and I think us, the fans, are accountable here because we are a pretty tough gig) we look a pretty decent side. 

Oh and McPake is a complete c**t. 

Bowyer saying we're still waiting on seeing if McGhee will be fit for Saturday, so I very much doubt he'll be starting at the very least, will be Maguire (or Byrne... ok, probably not) in for him.

Cammy has also been back in training since Monday so should be in contention for the squad on Saturday. Max Anderson also trained for the first time since his injury yesterday too.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee