All things Dundee FC

I’m gonna go on a limb and say we are gonna be promoted at a (relative) canter, QP are gonna sh*te the bed and I reckon Patrick have enough in them to come 2nd and skoosh yinited in the playoff but still be double digits off us

as for that if start getting the pen and paper out for the young lads before it starts getting to squeaky bum time and we lose them all for peanuts(again)

10 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Keep:

Ashcroft, McGhee, McCowan, Fisher, Cameron and Mulligan. 

Decisions to be made on: 

Jakubiak, Anderson, Legzdins (back up) and Marshall/Sweeney (back up)

Goodbye to:

Lawlor, Kerr, Byrne, McMullen, Sheridan, Robertson

From the loan signings the obvious two to keep would be Robinson and Williamson who was our best player in a crucial part of the season and could be a top talent. The likes of Maguire, Thomas and Tolaj can go.

Thank you. 

I'd be slightly more ruthless than this list and get rid of McGhee, Anderson and not touch Williamson. Agree with everything else. We need to keep some as back up and bring in competition but a lot of these players should be a one year deal with option to extend if they were to keep us up (if we go up) in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Keep:

Decisions to be made on: 

Goodbye to:

From the loan signings the obvious two to keep would be Robinson and Williamson who was our best player in a crucial part of the season and could be a top talent. The likes of Maguire, Thomas and Tolaj can go.

Thank you. 

Pretty much agree , but I’d keep Kerr as back up , give Finn a last chance with a one year deal , I’d put Ashcroft in decisions to be made yet as feel he’s losing a yard or two of pace so possible back up , he and Sweeney are far to slow for the premiership and would be ripped a new one most weeks 

1 hour ago, rainbowrising said:

I suddenly realised the only time Sheridan even crosses my mind is when I see him listed in players to leave 

Loved his feeble attempt at sounding disappointed he couldn't get away from Dundee last window.

He's getting a promotion on his CV while having contributed the only thing known to science that is smaller than a quark.

13 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Not as convinced about Williamson as you are (but you could well be right) and I think McGhee needs to be told ‘you’re a centre half son’. 
Hannant is another loanee who could be a keeper. 
Interesting you’d keep Ashcroft, as I would, Sweeney and Jukubiak on balance I’d keep too. 
Legdzins can go for me. He looks a great keeper when we are on top and he doesn’t have much to do, but he’s a liability when we’re under the cosh. 

To be honest I'd happily see Legzdins, Ashcroft, McGhee and Marshall go however there's got to be some continuity within the squad and with the contract situation I thought they'd be the best calls.

McGhee and Ashcroft are leaders despite a lack of quality and never hide. Ashcroft on his day is a decent centre back and doesn't look as clumsy as Sweeney with the ball at his feet. McGhee can fill in all over the place so gets the nod. It's obviously Bowyers man so we might aswell accept it now however both wouldn't be in my starting eleven.

Legzdins does alot with the youths etc so that can be carried on while he comes to the end of his career as third choice. Loan out Sharp. 

We need much better than Marshall to progress and TBH I'd maybe err on the side of punting him on second thought. I'd rather have him extending than Kerr for backup, especially if Mulligan resigns.

Hannant looks like one to keep but will see how he does over the next four games. Jakubiaks form needs to continue aswell and hopefully no injuries.

The only players right now I'd happily have in the starting line up for match one if we were to go up would be Jakubiak, Robinson, McCowan and the injured French. We can't go up and be the leagues punchbag again and getting rid of alot of the squad that brought us down so shambolically is essential - that remains the same if we f**k the league up or not.

Thank you.

As I was walking back from Dens on Tuesday I thought to myself that if promotion were to happen then this would be the most satisfying in a while. It's not because we would be running away with the league or convincing performances every week. It is satisfying because this feels like a proper change in the page for the club - I suppose that makes it irrelevant if we go up or not. It means a real change in the squad and an opportunity to build a really competitive one especially if promotion were to happen. 

Bowyer would have a chance to prove to his critics that he can build a good team on what would be a decent budget and yes we do need some sort of continuity with certain players being carried forward but I think we can guess now which ones they would be as a few haven't featured properly for a while now.

Exciting times.

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

May well be coming to the SPFL next season...

I know it's 'old school' and frowned upon now, but my solution would be 'Bring back National Service'. Get these fuckwits into a military training camp, get them marching around, improve their fitness and mindset, and instill a bit of discipline into them.

It's the only way really.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

20 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Keep:

Decisions to be made on: 

Goodbye to:

Thank you. 

Spot on. I'd maybe keep Robertson or at least put him in decisions to make imo. Not fussed if any of the keepers leave tbh. We need better than legzdins if we get promoted though, that's for sure. 

Posted this on the Dunfermline thread but relevant here as well:

McPake's comments are bizarre. Again, his whole interview in The Courier is about Dundee on Craig Wighton signing an extension for you.

I really don't get where he's coming from either - he's blaming our board (whom he's still clearly very bitter about punting him) for our managers (who were excellent apparently) for playing Craig Wighton.

“He was probably put out there too soon in terms of being a poster boy for a football club. He was only 16 and I can speak about it because I was there. It was not something that I particularly agreed with but he was exposed to things he maybe shouldn’t have been doing when he was so young, due to the impact that he had at Dundee. I don’t know if it hindered him too much but it certainly didn’t help him. Then he scored that goal that they all speak about against United and it elevated him again.

He went to Hearts and I come back to what football does – it gives you kicks and it can hurt you.

I don’t think that was handled particularly well and that wasn’t the manager, that was the football club, in my opinion.

I can speak from experience because I have had players very similar to Craig: Finlay Robertson, Lyall Cameron, Josh Mulligan, Sam Fisher – all playing for Dundee.

I don’t think Dundee did that with Craig. Paul Hartley was excellent with him, Neil McCann was excellent and then he was a bit older when the next manager came in.

The club in general, the higher-up people at the club didn’t handle it very well in my opinion.

It had an effect on Craig because when you are so young and you are carrying the expectations of the full club which was the case, then as soon as you have a bad game people recognise it more and you are held more accountable.

For one, he says Neil McCann was 'excellent' with him - it was him that punted him to Hearts for nothing and he wasn't around when the manager McPake can never name (Jim McIntyre) because he doesn't like him.

Secondly, Finlay Robertson got the exact same 'hero' treatment Wighton did when he broke through - only Wighton got elevated after he relegated United.  That has nothing to do with the board and is just natural for a fanbase to go wild about a youth player breaking through that ends up sticking the ultimate dagger into your rivals. That has absolutely nothing to do with board.

John Brown, Paul Hartley & Neil McCann's handling of Wighton as a youth player can be questioned, but baffling that McPake finds the need to have yet another pop at Dundee which has become a semi-regular thing these days.

Just find it bizarre this chip McPake has on his shoulder and seems to mention us almost every couple of weeks.

On the whole though, absolutely delighted Craig Wighton is doing well for you lads and finally settling with a club. Always had the talent just not always the application.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Posted this on the Dunfermline thread but relevant here as well:

McPake's comments are bizarre. Again, his whole interview in The Courier is about Dundee on Craig Wighton signing an extension for you.

I really don't get where he's coming from either - he's blaming our board (whom he's still clearly very bitter about punting him) for our managers (who were excellent apparently) for playing Craig Wighton.

For one, he says Neil McCann was 'excellent' with him - it was him that punted him to Hearts for nothing and he wasn't around when the manager McPake can never name (Jim McIntyre) because he doesn't like him.

Secondly, Finlay Robertson got the exact same 'hero' treatment Wighton did when he broke through - only Wighton got elevated after he relegated United.  That has nothing to do with the board and is just natural for a fanbase to go wild about a youth player breaking through that ends up sticking the ultimate dagger into your rivals. That has absolutely nothing to do with board.

John Brown, Paul Hartley & Neil McCann's handling of Wighton as a youth player can be questioned, but baffling that McPake finds the need to have yet another pop at Dundee which has become a semi-regular thing these days.

Just find it bizarre this chip McPake has on his shoulder and seems to mention us almost every couple of weeks.

On the whole though, absolutely delighted Craig Wighton is doing well for you lads and finally settling with a club. Always had the talent just not always the application.

This gif for all things James McPake.

giphy.gif