All things Dundee FC

Ashcroft was shocking today in all aspects. If we're doing the back three thankfully we will have French to come in who looked very good there at Ibrox last season. I'd be playing McGhee there next week if sticking with that. 

Think the amout of space at the back in the last ten/twenty was cause we were chasing a goal (i hope so at least).

Getting knocked out the cup was caused by missed chances throughout all the games and that needs to be addressed. Thankfully big Baka looks like he could help with that alongide the other signings who are due to come in. 

Pathetic from Mulligan and Tiffoney today. Pass marks for McCracken (MOTM), Cameron, McCowan, Robinson and Bakayoko.  

Thank you. 

Thought we did enough particularly in the second half and on another day we'd have sailed through. Today isn't the reason we are out, it was the pathetic display against Airdrie. 

We've looked better each game albeit a flat first half today. 

Had plenty of chances to score more against 10 men Dumbarton and Bonnyrigg. Happy enough with today even if it wasn't enough to see us through. The new striker added a good impetus to the team.

Edited by Ludo*1

First half poor. Second half was promising. Beck is class. Bakayoko looks very good. Cameron and McCowan made a difference and think we would have won the game more comfortably had we started with them. Bit experimental first half. Portales shows promise but needs to chill out, far too erratic. Pineda looks classy but wasn’t helped with the set up in first half. 

Beck was highlight for me - done very well to get him. McCracken is also very good. Onwards and upwards.

26 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

That's going to be the big question come seasons end. It's was mines at the time.

Is it no possible that Tiffoney was signed on a pre-contract weeks/months before Docherty was ever considered for the job, and just kept quiet about?

Either way, we still need wide/winger type players in the squad regardless of what basic formation we play most of the time. I doubt it'll be 3/5 or 5/3 all of the time, and I remember back at the start of McPake's time one of the major problems with the squad was we had a ton of central mids, strikers, and absolutely nobody who could play out wide to change it up.

Bakayoko looks quick and mobile for a big lad. I was worried we'd just have another Osman Sow statue on our hands, but he popped up on both sides of the pitch as well as through the middle, and was fairly quick even with the ball at his feet. Might be one of those weird players who looks like an absolute unit battering-ram type CF but doesn't play like that at all.

I think Beck might be one of those players who in 2 to 3 years will be really classy and way above this level, but he looked ropey defensively to me. Late on, he basically invited Longstaff to go right past him into the box and didn't seem to realise he was 5 yards out of position. 

Cameron was definitely a big part of what was missing in the first half, but I still don't think he's in any way a genuine centre of the park midfielder. He need to play further forward than that like he did today, and Boateng is absolutely perfect for one of the two playing behind him, but (this shit again...) McGhee is never in a million years a regular CM in that role. He has no ability on the ball aside from laying it off 5 yards square, and that just isn't going to cut it playing alongside Boateng when he's also a 'give it to somebody else' CM and already plays that role far better than McGhee ever could.

Said it the other day, but I still think we are one really good CM away from having a side, and if we only sign one more player, that's where it needs to be. I'd rather see Mulligan played in there, because at least his strength is driving forward with the ball, and just doing that alone he'd offer far more than McGhee.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think Beck might be one of those players who in 2 to 3 years will be really classy and way above this level, but he looked ropey defensively to me. 

He looks very EPL graduate, if that makes sense? 

Composed, two footed and athletic. Picks the right passes but is very attack centered. We need 3 mobile, confident CH's if using this formation and Ashcroft isn't that. French and McGhee beside Shaghnessy please.

Just now, Derry Alli said:

Yep, there's a really tidy, proficient, technically competent player there, but he still has that naive look about him like he's never played football with grown men before, which to be fair to him he probably hasn't.

1 minute ago, AlanPartridge said:

Very worrying how often we were exposed at the back, a good team would taken advantage of that.

We were only really exposed at the back the last 5-10 mins when we were pushing for a 2nd .. we'll not be that open if 1-0 up v Motherwell next week 

Definite signs there that we can play some decent football.  Unfortunately there were definite signs we could get cut open at the back.

Overall?  I’m not too worried at this stage of the season and the real positive has to be that just about everyone of our signings so far has improved the team.

17 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Composed, two footed and athletic. Picks the right passes but is very attack centered. We need 3 mobile, confident CH's if using this formation and Ashcroft isn't that. French and McGhee beside Shaghnessy please.

McGhee seems a no brainer for one of those positions in a back 3, surprised to see him in midfield today 

Thought we looked pretty good in spells today. Also looked like a team that has 11 new players at times.  Fairly confident after today's viewing that we will do OK this season, when the team settles and if a couple of midfielders added .  Big guy up front looks good! 

Only switched on for the second half. So can only limit my comment to the 45 minutes I seen but...

- Mulligan isn't a right back. I think he falls victim to having players better than him in his position both for Dundee and Scotland. I sometimes think his best position would be a box to box midfielder as his engine is what is so good about him. 

- Docherty's subs worked very well. 

- Cameron really is brilliant. Some of his link up play McCowan, Bakayoko and Robinson was tremendous to watch. 

- McCowan was also excellent when he came on with some great crossing that deserved better end product.

- Bakayoko looked really promising to me; really physical and pretty good technically.

- Boateng looked sloppy in possession to but I think overall he will be an important player to us this season. He found himself in some decent shooting positions and it clearly isn't his strong point. Hopefully can work on that. Looks like a Kamara type player for us. 

32 minutes ago, Girth said:

How many more bods does The Doc want to bring in/bin?

i can see 2 more in a hard b*****d center mindfielder and a right back

i've a feeling that rudden,byrne will be away this window with 1 or 2 other senior players following them out the door.