All things Dundee FC

This was a player that was actively better than all the choices that are still here from last season? It makes even less sense when we remind ourselves that we paid a fee for him and it isn't like Morton will be contributing a significant amount to his wages - I'd be surprised anyway. 

Overall this seems like a really poor error of judgement. Unless he has massively declined since his injury but I just can't see that.

I was really looking forward to him coming back in and - I'd have thought - improving our defence, even at this higher level.

Play some games and come back in Jan would make sense if he is struggling to get back up to pace, but this is just weird.

I can only think that TD thinks French will take some time to get back up to speed.  That’s probably something we can’t afford in this league at this point.

Trying to look for positives here - I wonder if TD thinks French will also learn the dirtier / nastier side of football from Imrie?  

Seems an odd loan on the face of it, but he might need 2-3 months of football to get over the injury properly, so the 'season long' bit could just be a contingency. IF he's going great-guns and it fully fit by January, recall him, if he's not Dundee have the option of leaving him in Greenock a wee while longer.

Thought he might have got a place in the squad but maybe the leg break has set him way back .

McGhee , Kerr,  Mulligan and  Portales preferred over him for right . 

I suppose it makes sense - If he does well we recall him,  If not then he's already half way out the door.  

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Seems an odd loan on the face of it, but he might need 2-3 months of football to get over the injury properly, so the 'season long' bit could just be a contingency. IF he's going great-guns and it fully fit by January, recall him, if he's not Dundee have the option of leaving him in Greenock a wee while longer.

Think this is defo how I see it. Coming back from a long injury at a higher level than he’s ever played, and we will certainly have the option to recall him. 

8 hours ago, AlanPartridge said:

Why didn’t we loan Kerr to Morton instead?

Because he isn’t coming back from a broken leg and 9 months out?

Quite often it takes guys a long time to come back from an injury like that. Maybe it’s better he does so away from the glare of his own support at a lower level?

I don’t know but for the moment I’m trusting the Doc’s judgement. 

I understand that some are angry at this loan but personally I think it's a good move. As others have said it can take a 2-3 months to fully regain form and fitness following a lengthy spell out after what was a pretty serious leg break. If he gets the game time at Morton then he'll hopefully be back up to speed by the January window. Looks like we have a recall clause so a good move all round

1 hour ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

If he gets the game time at Morton

He'll get it, no question. We've been desperate for an RB for months, and Tyler French is a really good one. It will probably take him time to get back up to speed, but even a partially-fit player of his quality is better than nothing - which is exactly what we've had up until now. I can understand the negative reaction from most Dees fans, but fair play to all who've come onto our thread and been genuinely happy and encouraging for us. At the very least, look upon this as a player being given the opportunity to regain full fitness, along with a proportion of his wages being paid by another club.

All the best to everyone.