All things Dundee FC

So what are we putting today down as?

I'm of the opinion he was using that as a training session for fringe players. Maybe had no desire to have a cup to deal with on top of the rearranged fixtures.

Either way an odd day at the office for the doc.

Normally my anger subsides after a defeat and I feel I can look at things more objectively but I've just found myself getting angrier and angrier about it tbh. I was in the middle of a complete heads gone during the game - not been so annoyed at the football since the McPake days! Managed to convince the missus to tag along with me as my usual mate couldn't make it and after driving 100 mile and then sitting in the freezing cold, for the game to be over in under 2 minutes was just unforgivable for me and I thought both goals were at the door of Costelloe (and others in the backline) hence why I went mental about him in the match thread.

To Costelloe's credit, he looked okay going forward so maybe there's something there if we reshape to playing with wingers but forget about individuals, the person I was most upset with was Docherty. Slap in the face today from him. I hope the injury problems were severe enough to start with just 4 of our regular starting 11 in McGhee, Shaughnessy, McCowan & Bakayoko and that it wasn't either him just giving players opportunities or 'resting for the tough period coming up'. The thought of him not taking the cup seriously is hard to stomach so will give him the benefit of the doubt considering he's built up so much stock over the course of the season.

I suppose we move on to the next one and I'll step away for a bit to breath and calm down! 

Reading back through the thread - every time someone quotes NDD's posts and I see it despite having him on ignore, he has to talk about me. Genuine no righter behaviour.

Today would have been a good day to show some flexibility tactically considering the players we were missing, but unfortunately Doc doesn't seem to be at that stage yet where he'd feel comfortable shifting from his preferred 3-5-2, and so we have to shoehorn players in that are either new or haven't played in months into positions they're not fully comfortable in. Hard to look at the opening minutes and not see the discordance and lack of communication and composure with the slapdash XI on the pitch, never mind whatever was up with Legzdins making him a completely ineffective marshal at the back or even as a goalkeeper. Reckon Carson being left out (while arguably the right decision for the coming games considering his small knock) had a big impact on the composure.

23 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Normally my anger subsides after a defeat and I feel I can look at things more objectively but I've just found myself getting angrier and angrier about it tbh. I was in the middle of a complete heads gone during the game - not been so annoyed at the football since the McPake days! Managed to convince the missus to tag along with me as my usual mate couldn't make it and after driving 100 mile and then sitting in the freezing cold, for the game to be over in under 2 minutes was just unforgivable for me and I thought both goals were at the door of Costelloe (and others in the backline) hence why I went mental about him in the match thread.

To Costelloe's credit, he looked okay going forward so maybe there's something there if we reshape to playing with wingers but forget about individuals, the person I was most upset with was Docherty. Slap in the face today from him. I hope the injury problems were severe enough to start with just 4 of our regular starting 11 in McGhee, Shaughnessy, McCowan & Bakayoko and that it wasn't either him just giving players opportunities or 'resting for the tough period coming up'. The thought of him not taking the cup seriously is hard to stomach so will give him the benefit of the doubt considering he's built up so much stock over the course of the season.

I suppose we move on to the next one and I'll step away for a bit to breath and calm down! 

Ludo - I know how fucking disappointing it is to drive to Killie and get beaten, I’ve done it on numerous occasions down the years, and to Ayr and to Dingwall so I can genuinely understand you being upset but I think you’re over reacting.

Docherty is building something, I’ve no doubt about it, but first and foremost to make progress we have got to stay in this division, and that’s far from a given. 
Clearly we have a lot of niggling injuries that hampered us today and if the Doc rested some as a precaution I’m 100% behind that, he knows much resting them today was required and I trust his judgement. 
Yes a cup run would be tremendous but in order to have a real chance of going to the semis etc (not by fluke) we are at least a year out. He needs another window to empty some more shite and replace with upgrades. 
After the first 2 minutes we actually played not too badly. I thought Sylla, Mulligan and McCowan did well, Costelloe was reasonably promising going forward and Bakayoko put in a shift. 
Bring on the Hearts. 

19 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Ludo - I know how fucking disappointing it is to drive to Killie and get beaten, I’ve done it on numerous occasions down the years, and to Ayr and to Dingwall so I can genuinely understand you being upset but I think you’re over reacting.

Docherty is building something, I’ve no doubt about it, but first and foremost to make progress we have got to stay in this division, and that’s far from a given. 
Clearly we have a lot of niggling injuries that hampered us today and if the Doc rested some as a precaution I’m 100% behind that, he knows much resting them today was required and I trust his judgement. 
Yes a cup run would be tremendous but in order to have a real chance of going to the semis etc (not by fluke) we are at least a year out. He needs another window to empty some more shite and replace with upgrades. 
After the first 2 minutes we actually played not too badly. I thought Sylla, Mulligan and McCowan did well, Costelloe was reasonably promising going forward and Bakayoko put in a shift. 
Bring on the Hearts. 

I partially agree. I'm not writing off Docherty or anything like that, don't get me wrong, I still think he's the best manager we've had in a very, very long time.

I just disagreed with the vast majority of his decisions today - for example, as much as we argue about Legzdins, George Cran said that Carson had a niggle and could've played but Docherty decided not to risk him - I think Carson should be risked in a game as important as the SC. I also don't see why Boateng wasn't in the side although Sylla was alright.  I felt that was down to the starting line up. I don't think we were ever really in the game and perhaps if the offside goal went our way we might have been but other than that, I can't remember us genuinely troubling their keeper at all today. Thought Bakayoko was horrific today personally! 

But in the cold light of day, you're spot on in regards to us being a year out in the development of his side. Just frustrating. Still a far cry better than the shite we've had before! Sorry again for acting like an arse to you earlier bud.

Edited by Ludo*1

42 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Reading back through the thread - every time someone quotes NDD's posts and I see it despite having him on ignore, he has to talk about me. Genuine no righter behaviour.

We need to put petty squabbles behind us, and move forward as one, I even managed to forgive mungo, even though he sided with the dayglo's to get green dots.

FT DAB's. Dee till death.

Thank you.

Just now, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

We need to put petty squabbles behind us, and move forward as one, I even managed to forgive mungo, even though he sided with the dayglo's to get green dots.

FT DAB's. Dee till death.

Thank you.

I agree Biggie. It's completely petty - that's why I blocked him, didn't want to drag threads down with our back and forth shite but everytime someone quotes him, he seems to be having a pop. Won't bring it up again though - apologies.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I agree Biggie. It's completely petty - that's why I blocked him, didn't want to drag threads down with our back and forth shite but everytime someone quotes him, he seems to be having a pop. Won't bring it up again though - apologies.

You're both excellent. IMO.

Thank you.

I get the point about injuries and the goalkeeper situation that unfolded is unfortunate. However, I agree with Ludo.

I was told, based on his pre match interview, that docherty seemed to be more focused on the league than the cup in relation to the answers he gave. I don't believe for one second that he wasn't fussed about winning today (obviously) but I don't think he should've put square pegs in round holes to fit his idealised formation. 

Costelloe isn't a left wing back, and Howley isn't a right wing back. Also what was with the decision to start sylla instead of boateng? Only for physicality surely. He finally played mulligan in his best position though, so it wasn't all wrong. 

He's a new manager and will make mistakes, but time and time again he puts reilly on for 10 minutes and expects him to perform with such little time left. We saw against Hibs, County and now today that he deserves a start.

Onto Tuesday. Start Reilly, Boateng, Dodgeson and Main. 

My team -

Carson (if fit)

McGhee  Shaughnessy   Astley

Kerr(?) Boateng  Mulligan Dodgeson   

Reilly                    Main            McCowan 

Couple of question marks over kerr and Carson but I don't think howley, tiffoney, costelloe, sylla and ashcroft did enough to keep their spot IMHO. 

If Ashcroft absolutely has to play at this level, you play him in a 2. 

If you absolutely insist on playing him in a 3, he has to be the centre and as a meat and drinks type. Playing him on the right side exposes his already glaring limitations. 

I get that Shaughnessy is quite slow but I've seen milk turn quicker than Ashcroft and asking him to cover the RB area when our RWB is attacking is suicidal.

I prefer Boateng to Sylla and think Boateng should be one of the first names on the team sheet but Sylla was one of the few that I didn't think did too badly today.

Just now, LM_0803 said:

I get the point about injuries and the goalkeeper situation that unfolded is unfortunate. However, I agree with Ludo.

I was told, based on his pre match interview, that docherty seemed to be more focused on the league than the cup in relation to the answers he gave. I don't believe for one second that he wasn't fussed about winning today (obviously) but I don't think he should've put square pegs in round holes to fit his idealised formation. 

Costelloe isn't a left wing back, and Howley isn't a right wing back. Also what was with the decision to start sylla instead of boateng? Only for physicality surely. He finally played mulligan in his best position though, so it wasn't all wrong. 

He's a new manager and will make mistakes, but time and time again he puts reilly on for 10 minutes and expects him to perform with such little time left. We saw against Hibs, County and now today that he deserves a start.

Onto Tuesday. Start Reilly, Boateng, Dodgeson and Main. 

My team -

Carson (if fit)

McGhee  Shaughnessy   Astley

Kerr(?) Boateng  Mulligan Dodgeson   

Reilly                    Main            McCowan 

Couple of question marks over kerr and Carson but I don't think howley, tiffoney, costelloe, sylla and ashcroft did enough to keep their spot IMHO. 

I don't think of docherty as the second coming of fergie or anything, and even though we're doing much better than any of the previous years in the top flight it's pretty difficult not to be. Think of late mccann era, mcintrye and pretty much all of mcpake. Its nice to see us being at least competent for a change, but there's a long way to go.

I'd be happy if we had a trajectory like Killies tbh. They narrowly avoided relegation last season and have improved this year. There's nothing to say that we're out of the woods yet.

Always rated McInnes as a manager and whilst i don't think killie are a great team to watch, they are a hard team to beat. Hopefully Doc can improve and learn from his mistakes. Just my opinion of course