All things Dundee FC

13 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Feels familiar somehow...

Aberdeen 0 - 2 Dundee | Saturday, April 7th, 2001 | Match Details (Dee  Archive)

Two things here...

(1) Some orgasmic football in the middle of park. 

(2) It seems (at least briefly) sunny in Aberdeen. 

32 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Apologies if posted somewhere before, but Home Bargains stock a beer that may interest Dundonians. 🍺

3D348231-B306-4DF6-A320-163D3E3D71F2.jpeg

Actually a nice beer...unlike the Sunny Ds. 

On 06/04/2024 at 20:08, Ric said:

You have to consider the game against Rangers as a "free hit", it's your game in hand and they are pushing for the title. I think you can take Aberdeen in that final game before the split, and you only need a draw.

I think we can. I'm not confident, obviously, with getting anything against Rangers. We just don't do results against the old firm - not lately anyway. I can see us going up to Aberdeen and getting a win or a draw, they are a very fragile team right now. I wouldn't bet on Hibs going to Motherwell and getting a win, especially with Motherwell still in contention. A draw is the ideal result for us in that game so long as we take care of our business.

I get the disappointment, to be honest I'm pretty fed up of the amount of points we have lost from winning positions. I know the goalposts shift throughout the season given the circumstances we find ourselves in over the course of it. I would be disappointed if we didn't get top 6 now because, despite all of the points dropped, I believe we deserve to finish there. 

I'd take disappointment in not reaching the top 6 over the sheer depression of constantly fighting for premiership status though. We can say what we want about Docherty but the team he has built has been equally as impressive as it has been frustrating. It shows you how far we've progressed since the chaos of almost making a mess of the championship last season. 

If you ask me, the players are equally as culpable for another arse collapse as the manager is. It goes hand in hand. You go 2-0 up and you expect your team to manage the game out. 

Bottom line/TL:DR - top 6 is still in our hands and I'd rather that then being a St Johnstone, Ross County or Livingston...which over the course of the past few seasons we have been accustomed to being WORSE than. 

Edited by Pens_Dark

4 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Bottom line/TL:DR - top 6 is still in our hands and I'd rather that then being a St Johnstone, Ross County or Livingston...which over the course of the past few seasons we have been accustomed to being WORSE than. 

This is the first time since the Doon Derby season that we've known before the end of March which division we'd be in the next season. Even in 2019-20, which was curtailed by Covid, there was uncertainty about whether there would be some league reconstruction. To be honest saying that we're staying up still feels slightly premature, a bit weird.

20 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Feels familiar somehow...

Aberdeen 0 - 2 Dundee | Saturday, April 7th, 2001 | Match Details (Dee  Archive)

Ah, the "Ivano and Dario" song. How I loved that. I programmed my work mobile phone to play the tune as a ring tone, which was pretty cutting edge in 2001. You had to set up the tune note by note rather than just downloading a file. I was working in Manchester at the time and it's fair to say I was the only person in the office with that ring tone.

On 06/04/2024 at 20:08, Ric said:

You have to consider the game against Rangers as a "free hit", it's your game in hand and they are pushing for the title. I think you can take Aberdeen in that final game before the split, and you only need a draw.

A draw isn’t enough if Hibs beat ‘Well, it only takes Well out the equation. I think Motherwell will beat Hibs and Dundee fail for the point, good last day before the split tbh.

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Apologies if posted somewhere before, but Home Bargains stock a beer that may interest Dundonians. 🍺

3D348231-B306-4DF6-A320-163D3E3D71F2.jpeg

😂😂

20240408_191810.jpg

On 07/04/2024 at 17:44, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Has to be Sylla and Boateng v the currants. IMO. We'll see what he does, better not be another total hiding.

I’d add in Fin Robertson as well as I think that would be a decent defensively minded midfield.   I wouldn’t try to get the full 90 minutes out of him though like Doc appeared to want to do at Parkhead.  

Also, I’ve loved watching Dundee playing some very good and entertaining football this season but I don’t think we should even try to do that tomorrow night.  Better to try and just frustrate Rangers at every opportunity and see how that works out.

11 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I’d add in Fin Robertson as well as I think that would be a decent defensively minded midfield.   I wouldn’t try to get the full 90 minutes out of him though like Doc appeared to want to do at Parkhead.  

Also, I’ve loved watching Dundee playing some very good and entertaining football this season but I don’t think we should even try to do that tomorrow night.  Better to try and just frustrate Rangers at every opportunity and see how that works out.

Yes i think if you play entertaining football tomorrow night it would be a complete waste of time.

14 hours ago, rambling syd rumpo said:

Ah, the "Ivano and Dario" song. How I loved that. I programmed my work mobile phone to play the tune as a ring tone, which was pretty cutting edge in 2001. You had to set up the tune note by note rather than just downloading a file. I was working in Manchester at the time and it's fair to say I was the only person in the office with that ring tone.

Smoke on the water for me as a 13 year old with a flip Sony Ericsson. 

Just reading that Birmingham city intend to build a new stadium.  They have secured a  government grant of about £17m to help clean up the site through the levelling-up fund.  The city council will inject a further £1.9m as a condition of receiving the money.

I assume the condition of the site and the number of new jobs that will be created has had a significant bearing on such funding being granted.

I’m not suggesting Dundee will receive any similar financial assistance.  Just thought it was worthy of mention for anyone not aware / interested.

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

Just reading that Birmingham city intend to build a new stadium.  They have secured a  government grant of about £17m to help clean up the site through the levelling-up fund.  The city council will inject a further £1.9m as a condition of receiving the money.

I assume the condition of the site and the number of new jobs that will be created has had a significant bearing on such funding being granted.

I’m not suggesting Dundee will receive any similar financial assistance.  Just thought it was worthy of mention for anyone not aware / interested.

Have we tried contacting Birmingham City Council regarding funding?

4 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Smoke on the water for me as a 13 year old with a flip Sony Ericsson. 

Smoke on the Water and a flip Sony Ericsson? Tell today's kids that once upon a time that was as cool as you could be at 13 and they'll just laugh at you.

4 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

I’ve had paranoid, black sabbath for years and years now for all calls , prettiest star when the Mrs phones 

10 out of 10 for Bowie. 0 out of 10 for being a total sook, but if it keeps the Mrs happy why should you worry about how it scores on social media?

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Do you mean that the city council would receive 1.9m rather than Birmingham FC receiving that money from the council itself?

Birmingham council were having to sell 750m worth of assets in order to balance their books. It looks like the owners bought the land off of them.

Anyway - why I raise that question is that, similar to the Brum council, Dundee is having to pull themselves out of a massive financial hole. I couldn't see grants or investment at local level but government grants happen all the time with sports developments. Spurs, Man utd looking to receive funding and of course this one that you point out. 

I would think that Nelms & Keyes are actually relying on this type of grant/funding to make it financially viable at all. I think they've even conceded that previously.

Edited by Pens_Dark