All things Dundee FC

7 hours ago, derrydode25 said:

You think the midfield are responsible and to blame for the defenders being absolutely piss poor at the back last season and again on Sunday? Did you see some of the goals we shipped last season? You fully expect your defenders ti do the absolute minimum of the basics. Yeah it's a team game buy when your defenders are posted missing majority of the time. Your f**ked before you even get going. 

No.

I think that over a 38 game season, when you frequently take leads and blow them just as often, when the opponent has no trouble whatsoever holding the ball in your third of the pitch for 15, 20, or 30 minute spells, when your WB's have absolutely no cover and are continually exposed in 2 v 1's, when you struggle to get the ball back then never have any outlet for it when you do, when the opponent can repeatedly and at will spray the ball from one side of the pitch to the other and back again without a Dundee player getting anywhere near it, and when you are hemmed into your own third for so much of the game that no matter how well the defenders play it's inevitable something will give way, and all of that is down to the fact the manager insists on leaving two up and having three in midfield trying to cope with 4, 5, or even 6 or 7 at points, then yes, I'd say that's a midfield problem.

Carson had a habit of turning into a hologram on occasion and the ball going straight through him. Sometimes the opposition just plays well and you credit them for creating a scoring chance and tucking it away. Sometimes the defenders play like shit and flog stupid goals, but what I watched repeatedly last season was the 5/3/2 working perfectly well enough to get us in front, or at least hold our own in the match, only for it to completely collapse, repeatedly, again and again, as soon as the opponent was committing forward enough to overrun and overwhelm our midfield.

No defensive system is going to cope when you are giving the opponent almost 100% of the ball inside your own half for sustained periods because 1. your midfielders can't get near it, and 2. because of that you can't even begin to defend further up the pitch.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 05/08/2024 at 18:38, johnnydun said:

Would this then open the door for Ryan Jack? Obviously prefer McCowan as he is more of a goal threat, however Jack would be a solid midfield option for us.

@RandomGuy. could you give us a couple of graphs comparing the 2?

mccowan.thumb.png.85fca5e6b2fed7a9afa1731f9af7a5ef.png

v

jack.thumb.png.2ce9f9d59334f9b84bf340a8d1ee84de.png

7 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

What does any of this nonsense actually mean?

Be as well printing out a picture of Boredoms arse. IMO.

Thank you.

I'm not judging, but why have you got a picture of Boredom's arse? 

Can't be arsed looking back at a post I made last season but Doc didn't always play 5 at the back though it was a significant majority of games. What I noted was that we got far more points per game playing a back 4.

25 minutes ago, DieDee said:

Can't be arsed looking back at a post I made last season but Doc didn't always play 5 at the back though it was a significant majority of games. What I noted was that we got far more points per game playing a back 4.

There were times last season when we were trying to see a game out that switching to a back 4 from the 5 would have been a sensible thing to do, but Doc made a lot of like-for-like subbies and seems to favour having the threat of two forwards as a means to tie up opposition players rather than changing the shape, which is weird because 4-4-2 still does that but gives you the extra body in midfield we lacked, widens that bank of players, and offers more protection to the FB's.

I think he's a bit too wedded to playing 3CB's and the notion that it's automatically stronger defensively than 2.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Finlay Allan broke his wrist and would have been playing for the first team. The reserve team played East Fife last night. East Fife needs loan players so wanted to see the players up close. Richardson and Lorimer were decent. Jordan Adeyeo subbed off in crutches with a bad injury.

East Fife like Allan before he got injured but Stenhousmuir are getting him on loan. His move to Burnley fell through. He’s one to watch.

2 hours ago, peebles_Dee said:

Disappointed we haven’t made us of Burnley’s scouting technology. I’d like us to find another wide player. A player of a similar profile to Trapanovski would be good.

Lets just take him. No one wants to play in Tarty Tangerine. 

If we don't, his nickname will be Tiny Tangerine Tadger Trapanovski all season. 

No one wants that. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Girth

26 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

Finlay Allan broke his wrist and would have been playing for the first team. The reserve team played East Fife last night. East Fife needs loan players so wanted to see the players up close. Richardson and Lorimer were decent. Jordan Adeyeo subbed off in crutches with a bad injury.

East Fife like Allan before he got injured but Stenhousmuir are getting him on loan. His move to Burnley fell through. He’s one to watch.

Fair play, had been wondering what'd happened to Allan as he stood out for me last season and already has a loan at Forfar under his belt, couldn't understand how he wasn't involved in pre-season or the Challenge Cup game. Was he playing in the reserve match last night? Hopefully announced soon, maybe could be available for the wee Derby at Tannadice next week?

Lorimer also looks a special player, swear I've heard his name for years and yet he's only 18. Well liked by St Andrews United fans whom watched him on loan there for 2 seasons of back-to-back promotions. Captaining the B team against Formartine another big indication he's headed in the right direction, a loan in the SPFL would be very interesting to see imo.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee
sp

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fair play, had been wondering what'd happened to Allan as he stood out for me last season and already has a loan at Forfar under his belt, couldn't understand how he wasn't involved in pre-season or the Challenge Cup game. Was he playing in the reserve match last night? Hopefully announced soon, maybe could be available for the wee Derby at Tannadice next week?

Lorimer also looks a special player, swear I've heard his name for years and yet he's only 18. Well liked by St Andrew's United fans whom watched him on loan there for 2 seasons of back-to-back promotions. Captaining the B team against Formartine another big indication he's headed in the right direction, a loan in the SPFL would be very interesting to see imo.

I don’t think he was playing last night. Clark done well against them also. The scouting we have done outside of Dundee has been very poor. Need to start looking at the top Glasgow, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, Central belt and Edinburgh leagues. There some cracking players. United do their scouting very good.

4 hours ago, peebles_Dee said:

Disappointed we haven’t made us of Burnley’s scouting technology. I’d like us to find another wide player. A player of a similar profile to Trapanovski would be good.

What an average run of the mill player 

Still three weeks+ to go in the window, and I still reckon that 90% of any business we do between now and it closing will be done in the final 24/48 hours. 

If we want to bring players to the club who will improve the squad, then that's going to be dependent on their parent teams securing their own improvements beforehand, and a lot of that business doesn't transpire until near the death. Even Burnley won't really know for certain who they want to punt out on loan until their own 1st team squad is settled.

I'm not panicking, because in the past couple of seasons we've unearthed Robinson, Bakayoko, Sylla, Astley, and no doubt a few others I've forgotten from the lower reaches/reserves of English football, so it's self-evident there is a degree of scouting going on, and a coherent signing policy based on brining in players who fit into a plan. Total contrast with the McIntyre/McPake nonsense of signing players for no apparent reason other than they were known to you and they were available, regardless of whether they met an apparent need, fitted into a plan, or improved the side.

Still think we need at least one more central midfielder, and two if McCowan moves on. Another fullback would be good because after Ingram and Larkeche the options are a bit grim. More importantly though I think we need to get Shug and Robertson back fit, because right now we're trying to play with our 4th/5th or 6th choice CB's on the pitch, and I think if that goes on for a significant length of time then it could fatally undermine the entire season.