All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, peebles_Dee said:

McCowan has more chance of getting a Scotland call up for us than he does with Hibs. He’s captain and main man with us. He would be an important player for Hibs but it wouldn’t be built around him. 

Hibs will struggle this season and I predict Gray will get sacked. Which I think would be unfair but Hibs always keep changing their manager. 

If he stays we have a great chance of getting European football and even a cup potentially which Hibs won’t. If he does that for us then Scotland will be more likely to give him a call up.

I’d offer him a pay rise to stay with no extension. If we get European and a cup bigger teams than Hibs will be after him or he may decide to stay.

A pay rise to stay until next summer with no extension?

Crazy.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Crazy.

Thank you.

I don’t think so

its the same as signing someone new on a 1 year contract.

And no way are we getting as good as McCowan into Dens right now 

Edited by MarkoP

46 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Crazy.

Thank you.

Then he’d stay for the season and have a conversation about contract extension at a later date.

If we keep him, we have a chance of winning a cup and 4th. That’s worth more than anything we’d get offered. We might then have the finances to offer him a better contract and he stays for European football or he decides he wants a new challenge maybe in the English Championship.

He's a good player but Hibs are going to grossly overpay here.

One of those where he'll never be worth the fee that the selling club want. Fair play to Dundee for holding out here. You always manage to find a few gems and this money would go towards getting a couple more.

18 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

One of those where he'll never be worth the fee that the selling club want. Fair play to Dundee for holding out here. You always manage to find a few gems and this money would go towards getting a couple more.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.

I wanted McCowan held on to a few years back when we came up from the Championship via the playoffs, because at 23-24 I honestly felt he was one of the few players we had who still had enough potential at that age to push on and become a solid Premiership calibre player, pretty much what he is right now.

However, he's 26 now, turning 27 later this year. He's not a "young" player and is arguably in what could be expected to be his peak years right now. I get that he holds value to DFC, not because of potential, but because of what keeping/losing him could mean for us this season, but if Hibs genuinely want a near-27 year-old that badly that they are willing to hand over the thick-end of £1million, we'd be daft to turn that down. It's not like this is a 21 year old where you would be eyeing up a sell-on clause in the hope of a big move later on. Regardless of how he performs in Edinburgh, nobody is going to be coming in 2-3 years from now throwing 5 million quid at Hibs, so you take as much as you can get up front for him right now and re-invest that in a couple of younger players.

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.

I wanted McCowan held on to a few years back when we came up from the Championship via the playoffs, because at 23-24 I honestly felt he was one of the few players we had who still had enough potential at that age to push on and become a solid Premiership calibre player, pretty much what he is right now.

However, he's 26 now, turning 27 later this year. He's not a "young" player and is arguably in what could be expected to be his peak years right now. I get that he holds value to DFC, not because of potential, but because of what keeping/losing him could mean for us this season, but if Hibs genuinely want a near-27 year-old that badly that they are willing to hand over the thick-end of £1million, we'd be daft to turn that down. It's not like this is a 21 year old where you would be eyeing up a sell-on clause in the hope of a big move later on. Regardless of how he performs in Edinburgh, nobody is going to be coming in 2-3 years from now throwing 5 million quid at Hibs, so you take as much as you can get up front for him right now and re-invest that in a couple of younger players.

Yeah, exactly.

If Hibs are willing to spend the guts of £1m on a single player then you have to think there is much better value out there. Especially when you take in to account the starting point for any transfer is weekly wage x weeks left on their contract.

Once the fee is agreed, you are then having to pay them like a £1m player.

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

Yeah, exactly.

If Hibs are willing to spend the guts of £1m on a single player then you have to think there is much better value out there. Especially when you take in to account the starting point for any transfer is weekly wage x weeks left on their contract.

Aye, but they spend £750k on a McCowan from abroad then Dundee still have McCowan, as nobody else is likely to spend that on him.

You wonder if they think it's worth it to get him, and weaken a rival, assuming Dundee won't get better/the same using that money.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, but they spend £750k on a McCowan from abroad then Dundee still have McCowan, as nobody else is likely to spend that on him.

You wonder if they think it's worth it to get him, and weaken a rival, assuming Dundee won't get better/the same using that money.

I think our squad is still thin enough in a few areas that it could be improved a lot with a couple of decent players. We might not be able to just conjure up a like-for-like McCowan replacement, but we've no credible leftback of our own, Sylla is really the only destructive CM in the squad, and Cameron and Mulligan are both more suited to playing a similar role to McCowan than anything else. So I think there is plenty of scope for putting any McCowan transfer fee to good use, even if it's not to just go out and pay for a direct replacement.

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

I don’t think so

its the same as signing someone new on a 1 year contract.

And no way are we getting as good as McCowan into Dens right now 

Not for me. He has a contract until June 25 as it is. Why would you offer a one year deal to someone with one year left? Wild.

1 hour ago, peebles_Dee said:

Then he’d stay for the season and have a conversation about contract extension at a later date.

If we keep him, we have a chance of winning a cup and 4th. That’s worth more than anything we’d get offered. We might then have the finances to offer him a better contract and he stays for European football or he decides he wants a new challenge maybe in the English Championship.

He'll be wanting to test himself at a higher level next summer, why wouldn't he? At 27/28 he has to or the chance will be gone.

He's done more than enough for Dundee and we've also helped him. He's a year on his contract and if we don't get the right deal he'll keep performing for us until it's time to move on. You can tell from his character he's not one to chuck it.

We've got no chance of 4th, FFS. In the cup we'd need the luck of the draw. We'll see on Sunday how likely Hampden is if we can pass Airdrie. If we draw the likes of Celtic away we're out whether we have McCowan or not. Our cup chances rely on alot more than Luke McCowan.

We are definitely not a one man team either - if McCowan goes we have enough to still have an impressive season. Infact he was outdone in the midfield by Cameron and Sylla against Hearts with the likes of Ingram also outstanding.

In short if we get an offer above one million we need to take it and move forward. If clubs want to take the piss then Nelms can tell them to GTF and we'll enjoy McCowan until the seasons end.

Either way the club should be planning his replacement right now, whether it's a deal completed this window or January.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

I honestly didn’t see us going much higher than 500k. We are definitely getting into the region of paying too much for him if it gets to £1m+. I also don’t really understand why he’d make the move, obviously it’s a bit more cash but he’d surely have loads more options on a pre contract.

Edited by Zing.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldn't put a daft transfer strategy like that out of the realm if possibility!

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Unless it's 1.5 million, then it's not worth the gamble. IMO.

goodane!

if he's smart he stays till the next window, then you get peanuts, if that

8 minutes ago, Beardy23 said:

goodane!

Beardy. You're managing to even outshite Butters. Fair play. 

Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Beardy23 said:

goodane!

You should know what happens when you sell your best players for peanuts to a league rival Beardy.

Jackie McNamara has been unveiled as the new boss of Dundee United |  Football News | Sky Sports

Thank you.

Just now, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

You should know what happens when you sell your best players for peanuts to a league rival Beardy.

Jackie McNamara has been unveiled as the new boss of Dundee United |  Football News | Sky Sports

Thank you.

That’s the best post of the season competition now closed folks.  A clear early winner 🤣

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Yeah, exactly.

I’m just looking at the £6.75M for Miovski.  How many years did he have on his contract and have you any idea how much he was being paid?