All things Dundee FC

I'm kind of sceptical that we could ever reach a level of normal income from Dens (I'm not dismissing it but I would speculate that the amount of money needed would basically be building a new stadium) and if the club is to be properly successful and survive generations, something has to be done. It's pretty easy now kicking things years into the future but the next time this comes up, it could be a time where our die hard support is dying off and we're lingering a division below. Got to be addressed head on now IMO.

The thing is though, fans always say that. I don't know if we're much different from other teams. There are teams like Bolton, Middlesbrough, Southampton etc and a few more English clubs who've made the move against angry voices and the die hards have stayed.

In Scotland, we have:

• Falkirk - Brockville. Averaged around 2500-3500 in second tier (last season went up to 4200 but also included farewell games). Pretty much identical now.
  • St Mirren - Love Street. Pretty much the same. Variations mostly due to Old Firm visits and other big games.
Then other teams aren't really much to go on as there have been obscure circumstances (Livingston being out of time, the Airdrieonians 10,000 seater stadium then liquidation etc) around them.

Obviously, it'd need to be surveyed in some way but generally speaking, it's pretty hard to tell with only the proper die hards on here and the other forum. Although my dream would be a super redevelopment, it would be impossible for me to stay away if we did move. Football is a bit of escapism and I don't attribute it to one fixed location.

My rebuild proposal would basically be a longer Derry style stand (with facilities and entry from underneath), similar Main Stand but without pillars and a lot tighter to the pitch (would give more of an illusion of the old stand but be a pretty different experience) and then something completely new behind the goals as I think we've done shite with our modern stands.

Completely agree with this!

Using the perthsaint1977 Calculator, Kevin Thomson has been paid 187 GBP Sterling per minute of league game time (923 minutes) since arriving at Dundee Football Club.

I'm not sure if this reflects worse on perthsaint1977 or Dundee Football Club.

I remember pars fans saying that our losses were of no concern and we had someone of integrity at the helm.

Even if there is a large capital injection there's always risks. It's never a good way to run a business.

Despite going bust twice they are totally living out with their means. With decent crowds and what would be a a relatively cheap squad you have to wonder why this has happened?

Americans business suddenly goes tits up, then what happens?

Nobody thought the RBS was full of crooks. Masterton, yep he's a real stand up guy.

Why can't any one see that these accounts are for a period where the new board were bedding in! The contracts and the situation the club was in at the time is nothing to do with them, the simply inherited the situation and had to make best. DFC fans know better than most what admin does to a club (as do you PARS). I am disappointed we have made a loss BUT I don't think people can call the current BOD for it. We will be sat here in a years time with the club having made a profit. Guaranteed.

Why can't any one see that these accounts are for a period where the new board were bedding in! The contracts and the situation the club was in at the time is nothing to do with them, the simply inherited the situation and had to make best. DFC fans know better than most what admin does to a club (as do you PARS). I am disappointed we have made a loss BUT I don't think people can call the current BOD for it. We will be sat here in a years time with the club having made a profit. Guaranteed.

Bookmarked for shits n giggles.

Guest Back Post Misses

No, this is where we all reel in the shock revelation that Jim Spence knows bugger all about finance and accounts.

Serious question.

Are there no alarm bell ringing around the Dundee support at the size of your loss making again?

Is this new Texan guy filling the hole?

Serious question.

Are there no alarm bell ringing around the Dundee support at the size of your loss making again?

Why would alarm bells be ringing these accounts are from when DFCSS were running things. Which everyone new was unsustainable thus we voted to let outside investment be allowed. The test will be next year's accounts, if they show a similar loss then I will really worried!!

Serious question.

People need to bear in mind that accounts are historical. The accounts lodged in February 2015 cover the period May 2013 - May 2014 so the figures do not reflect what is happening at this time.

Anyone sufficiently interested can get a full copy for £1. http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//compdetails

People need to bear in mind that accounts are historical. The accounts lodged in February 2015 cover the period May 2013 - May 2014 so the figures do not reflect what is happening at this time.

Anyone sufficiently interested can get a full copy for £1. http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//compdetails

Indeed.jpg

Perhaps this year's set will show they are not an assetless, insolvent, loss-making basketcase.

harry94, on 28 Feb 2015 - 01:17, said:harry94, on 28 Feb 2015 - 01:17, said:harry94, on 28 Feb 2015 - 01:17, said:

I'm kind of sceptical that we could ever reach a level of normal income from Dens (I'm not dismissing it but I would speculate that the amount of money needed would basically be building a new stadium) and if the club is to be properly successful and survive generations, something has to be done. It's pretty easy now kicking things years into the future but the next time this comes up, it could be a time where our die hard support is dying off and we're lingering a division below. Got to be addressed head on now IMO.

The thing is though, fans always say that. I don't know if we're much different from other teams. There are teams like Bolton, Middlesbrough, Southampton etc and a few more English clubs who've made the move against angry voices and the die hards have stayed.

In Scotland, we have:

• Falkirk - Brockville. Averaged around 2500-3500 in second tier (last season went up to 4200 but also included farewell games). Pretty much identical now.
  • St Mirren - Love Street. Pretty much the same. Variations mostly due to Old Firm visits and other big games.

Then other teams aren't really much to go on as there have been obscure circumstances (Livingston being out of time, the Airdrieonians 10,000 seater stadium then liquidation etc) around them.

Obviously, it'd need to be surveyed in some way but generally speaking, it's pretty hard to tell with only the proper die hards on here and the other forum. Although my dream would be a super redevelopment, it would be impossible for me to stay away if we did move. Football is a bit of escapism and I don't attribute it to one fixed location.

My rebuild proposal would basically be a longer Derry style stand (with facilities and entry from underneath), similar Main Stand but without pillars and a lot tighter to the pitch (would give more of an illusion of the old stand but be a pretty different experience) and then something completely new behind the goals as I think we've done shite with our modern stands.

I think comparing us to English sides is a little disingenuous. Totally different scenarios with much more money involved and much larger fan bases.

The two Scottish sides that you make reference to, St Mirren and Falkirk, whilst maybe a little bit better financially, are much poorer off in my opinion. Both have shite shiny new stadiums that are absolutely soulless. To build a new stadium, it'd require in excess of £10 million. Something no-one currently at the club would be willing to spend/free up anytime soon. I get that it can make a football club money, it's certainly made St Mirren £7million (From selling their land, something we can't do). There is no sizeable benefit for us to leave other than a bigger function suite, couple of shite stands that can't hold an atmosphere and an artificial surface with training pitches close-by.

I've yet to see a decent new stadium in Scottish football.

St Mirren's, Falkirk's, Livi's, St Johnstone's - All terrible sporting arenas.

I'm certainly not giving Dens up for that.

The point is moot anyways, because I bet we'll still be at Dens for at least another 50 years. The best we'll do is upgrade the Derry (Which has to be looked at, at some point down the line) and install an artificial surface.

ETA: As for escapism, I do see it as fixed at Dens. I see it as the same place my grandfather watched Alan Gilzean, my uncle watched Billy Pirie and I watched Caniggia, Adamczuk etc.

Caird Park which is the logical place for us to move is harder to get to bus-wise, doesn't have close to as many boozers, and would generally be a poorer experience for the fans IMO.

Edited by Ludo *1

I would say stay at Dens. McDiarmid was undoubtedly a big catalyst for our growth as a club, and as RG says it can be a great atmosphere when full - but then I think that's the same with most grounds.

McDiarmid was unique and original when it was built, but now we have plenty of these new stadia in scotland in the 4 boxes round the pitch format, which is obviously the most cost-effective and what you would probably end up with. We had no choice other than to move as we got offered such a great deal and didn't have money to build new stands at muirton.

The big downside for me is it's so far out of town. If you go into The city centre on a match day you hardly know there's a game on. A football ground should be the heart of its community, surrounded by pubs and places to eat. If someone came along with hundreds of millions of pounds I'd want him to build us a new ground on the South Inch in Perth, right beside the train station, stands really steep and almost on top of the pitch... Like what many grounds used to be!

The best grounds to visit are always the original ones with a bit of character - tynecastle, EEP etc. There's plenty of land behind the Derry, if they could ever afford it, you could easily get a decent new stand in there, with rail seating/ standing in the lower tier for all the moaning dafties in the Derry, and seating and hospitality above.