All things Dundee FC

19 minutes ago, DieDee said:

I'd be keen to give Mendy the strikers role - yes he's missed a couple while settling in but there really looks like potential there. We have plenty quality in midfield for a 451 that would surely provide the kind of service that Mendy could thrive on and score a quite a few too. This lumping it up to a striker (cough) really isn't suiting the strengths of the rest of the team, why persist? 

Isn't the worst idea and honestly if no one came on would be an avenue I would like to see explored.

If McCann is playing the budget card as opposed to just blethering nonsense to the press, he deserves the bullet. He's repeatedly said that a striker has been his priority since before last season finished, if he's mismanaged his budget to the point that he can't now bring one in, then that's gross mismanagement. 

He's spent transfer fees on the likes of Ralph (comp) and Hamilton and let go of multiple strikers and only brought 1 in. 

If it's not addressed this week then I'll be fed up of excuses because quite frankly, it's got to the point that it's absolutely inexcusable and it's now an absolute detriment to the team. 

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If McCann is playing the budget card as opposed to just blethering nonsense to the press, he deserves the bullet. He's repeatedly said that a striker has been his priority since before last season finished, if he's mismanaged his budget to the point that he can't now bring one in, then that's gross mismanagement. 

He's spent transfer fees on the likes of Ralph (comp) and Hamilton and let go of multiple strikers and only brought 1 in. 

If it's not addressed this week then I'll be fed up of excuses because quite frankly, it's got to the point that it's absolutely inexcusable and it's now an absolute detriment to the team. 

Didn't see you posting anything like that but I completely agree.

Still think this is one of the more exciting teams we have had in recent years. Going to regurgitate what everyone has said but the midfield looks great but we lack that end product. Personally I would like to see Parish back between the sticks too. Seemed commanding in his games and a real team player.

If that was to be addressed there is absolutely no reason we should not be pushing the top end of the table. 

If we had that striker we really should have 6 points already. We don't need a big man. We need a poacher to tidy up.

12 hours ago, DieDee said:

I'd be keen to give Mendy the strikers role - yes he's missed a couple while settling in but there really looks like potential there. We have plenty quality in midfield for a 451 that would surely provide the kind of service that Mendy could thrive on and score a quite a few too. This lumping it up to a striker (cough) really isn't suiting the strengths of the rest of the team, why persist? 

Definitely not a bad idea, it would let us play to our strengths and would probably suit the rest of our strikers better too

if these rumours about anichebe to killie are true surely we should be competing with them? we would be a long shot given steve clarkes worked with him but worth a go.
Really couldn't see him being a good signing for you lot tbh.

1 hour ago, locheedee said:

Definitely not a bad idea, it would let us play to our strengths and would probably suit the rest of our strikers better too

I'm not so much quoting you here, but the original post you replied to. 

While I fully agree that we need more firepower upfront, to suggest that 451 with Mendy up front on his own would suit our play better is wrong, IMO. 

I've just gone through the highlights on Dee TV from the Aberdeen game and below is an analysis of 7 of the 9 "chances" shown on the highlights:

·         10mins Madinaga shot came from 2 direct balls into Moussas feet and lay off.

·         19mins attacking free kick won from direct ball to Moussa by Hamilton, eventually leads to Moussa’s big chance.

·         24mins Spence shot comes from Direct ball into Moussa, hold up and lay off.

·         36mins Madinaga shot comes from direct ball into Moussa from Kasunga - albeit the chance comes because of a poor second touch.

·         51 mins Moussa second chance, where he should square rather than shoot, comes from a headed ball into his chest, lay off and 1-2 with Nabi

·         56mins Mendy Chance comes from 1-2 lay off between Moussa and Mendy

·         80mins Nabi chance comes from ball into Moussa feet and layoff to Curran.

The two "chances" I've not included here are only excluded because they were set pieces where the original built up was not shown. 

While this post isn't actually an attempt to "defend" Moussa - his first chance was an awful effort. A target man with someone playing off him is integral to the way we are creating chances - and always will be when you're trying to create chances with creative midfielders. I can't be bothered to do the same for the St. Mirren game, but I remember it being very similar in terms of chance creation. 

Really couldn't see him being a good signing for you lot tbh.
who knows but i think he would wcoree wt thisblevel. id suggest he would be worth the gamble. hes like a shithouse as well which seems to be whatNM is after.

dead cert to join clarke at Killie if he does come north

48 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

While I fully agree that we need more firepower upfront, to suggest that 451 with Mendy up front on his own would suit our play better is wrong, IMO. 

I've just gone through the highlights on Dee TV from the Aberdeen game and below is an analysis of 7 of the 9 "chances" shown on the highlights:

·         10mins Madinaga shot came from 2 direct balls into Moussas feet and lay off.

·         19mins attacking free kick won from direct ball to Moussa by Hamilton, eventually leads to Moussa’s big chance.

·         24mins Spence shot comes from Direct ball into Moussa, hold up and lay off.

·         36mins Madinaga shot comes from direct ball into Moussa from Kasunga - albeit the chance comes because of a poor second touch.

·         51 mins Moussa second chance, where he should square rather than shoot, comes from a headed ball into his chest, lay off and 1-2 with Nabi

·         80mins Nabi chance comes from ball into Moussa feet and layoff to Curran.

The two "chances" I've not included here are only excluded because they were set pieces where the original built up was not shown. 

While this post isn't actually an attempt to "defend" Moussa - his first chance was an awful effort. A target man with someone playing off him is integral to the way we are creating chances - and always will be when you're trying to create chances with creative midfielders. I can't be bothered to do the same for the St. Mirren game, but I remember it being very similar in terms of chance creation. 

Fair play DOYS, I've never given it as much thought/research as you have - seems crazy that we rely on Moussa so much but from what you've mentioned it looks like we are needing a hold up player after all...

Basically just shows how much of a tip Dens actually is as I’m guessing the majority of our losses will be the upkeep of Dens. Also factoring in we’ve paid the majority of Hartleys players off early as well in the last year or so. Basically vital we move to Nou Campy IMO.

Just hope the deluded Dundee fans don’t expect this cash injection to be spent on players.

2 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

For it to be balanced you’d have to do a list of the times he got beat in the air, offside, missed chances, misplaced passes and when it’s like the ball hits a brick wall. 

For it to be balanced you’d have to do a list of the times he got beat in the air, offside, missed chances, misplaced passes and when it’s like the ball hits a brick wall. 
now thats a list that would tempt me to hae a swim attached to a boulder

28 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

As I said in the post, it wasn't a Moussa analysis or defence but a bit of evidence of the way we play. People were suggesting playing either two small strikers up front together or one up on their own and I don't think that would work given how we create chances.

Almost 80% of chances came from direct balls and interplay into a "target man". It just happened that Moussa was that target man on Saturday. 

Edited to add, it might have been more than 80% as the highlights, as I said originally, don't show the fouls leading to set pieces or build up to corners. 

Edited by DigOutYourSoul