All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, DEEJANGO said:

So he’s 38 just now and when his contract expires he’ll be 40?

Is that an attempt at a positive spin on this? :lol:

6 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Well, at least he'll be working with a manager who doesn't have a track record of falling out with players.

A player who's desperate to become a manager of a top flight club and has a history of undermining inexperienced managers, v Neil McCann, who has literally isolated most of his squad. 

This'll be fun to watch. How was Kenny Miller doing in charge of Livingston? As he'll spend every week trying to take control while on the pitch. 

26 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:

Imagine being bottom of the table with no points, having Neil McCann as manager, selling your best striking prospect and replacing with a 38yr old finished Kenny Miller. Just imagine it.

Imagine being 6th bottom of the Championship and below your nearest rivals.  We can't.

Rod, have you seen our strikeforce?? If Mendy ever gets up to speed it'll take him a full season, and thats a big IF? I never want to see Moussa on our bench again let alone the pitch he's that much of a joke. Wighton seems to be nothing more than a ghost at this particular time. Henvey and Scott seem to have something about them, but NM obviously feels they need another season of reserve or potentially loan time (re: still in talks to send Scott to Brechin).
Kallman has something about him though and I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with him (and Miller could help in his development), and one more thing - if the ball comes to Miller with a couple of minutes left in the St Johnstone game in the middle of the box instead of Moussa at the weekend we leave there with a draw.

I agree with all you’ve said about our current strikers (including Kallman, who I like the look of as long as we give him time). It’s just I personally don’t think Miller is the answer.

I’d be delighted to be proven wrong though.

It’s more McCann’s style to bring in some Inuit prodigy who’s never seen a ball before but has a great tactical mind.

In fact I may stop by the bookies at lunchtime....

Personally I think Miller is exactly one of the 2 or 3 players your team need at the moment, he'll certainly encourage the rest to speed up their fancy football a gear or 2.

What will happen is Miller will drop deep into an already congested Dundee midfield and demand the ball from the likes of Mandianga and Kamara, despite being worse on the ball than them. Leaving the same issue of an isolated front man, unless of course he’s the sole striker in which case you’re effectively playing 4-6-0. He might poach a few goals, but he’s finished as a player despite whatever spin you want to put on the situation.

1 hour ago, Worktheshaft said:

selling your best striking prospect and replacing with a 38yr old finished Kenny Miller.

You might have something close to resembling a point if we were selling Wighton for £250k, and paying a fee for Miller (of more than £250k).

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

What will happen is Miller will drop deep into an already congested Dundee midfield and demand the ball from the likes of Mandianga and Kamara, despite being worse on the ball than them. Leaving the same issue of an isolated front man, unless of course he’s the sole striker in which case you’re effectively playing 4-6-0. He might poach a few goals, but he’s finished as a player despite whatever spin you want to put on the situation.

This is my biggest worry about his signing. I said it a few days ago when he first left Livi. It's also the reason he wasn't scoring a lot last season because he was simply dropping deep too often when chances were created he wasn't in the box - it's been similar so far for Livi this season.

As for Wighton, he's not a striker either, every time I've seen him up top he's been totally ineffective. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kenny Miller scored 3 goals in 1193 minutes in the league last season, a goal every 400 minutes. 

Moussa scored 5 goals in 1693 minutes, a goal every 330 minutes. 

Leith-Smith got 6 goals in 1430 minutes, a goal every 240 minutes. 

He's following the exact lines strikers do as they get older. His output is regressing and he's playing further off the front. He contributed no assists last season, while having a worse goal record than two strikers most of your fans despise, despite him playing in a far more dominant side. 

Just to update your figures Kenny scored one goal (against Annan Athletic) in 610 minutes of competitive football for Livingston this season

8 minutes ago, Maslow said:

Not really, they're just handing back some of the cash we gave them for Hamilton.

Let that sink in...

I thought we only paid 50-100k for Hamilton didn't we? Still absolutely mental that we did, but them paying 250k for Wighton is about as bad.

Offloading Wighton and bringing in Miller doesn't look like a good bit of business IMHO. However, selling Wighton and re-investing some or all of that cash (and maybe a bit of the Hendry money too) on Shankland/Swanson/random French or Finnish winger/young loanee from English Premiership doesn't look as daft...

Offloading Wighton and bringing in Miller doesn't look like a good bit of business IMHO. However, selling Wighton and re-investing some or all of that cash (and maybe a bit of the Hendry money too) on Shankland/Swanson/random French or Finnish winger/young loanee from English Premiership doesn't look as daft...

I agree. It's unlikely to happen though.
If it does then you are Neil McCann and I win the prize for outing you.

20 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

This is my biggest worry about his signing. I said it a few days ago when he first left Livi. It's also the reason he wasn't scoring a lot last season because he was simply dropping deep too often when chances were created he wasn't in the box - it's been similar so far for Livi this season.

As for Wighton, he's not a striker either, every time I've seen him up top he's been totally ineffective. 

I'm not really too worried about it tbh. At Rangers, he was playing under orders with Morelos the main predator in the box. Years before, in his prime, Rangers had Boyd and Lafferty in the team and Miller was deployed deeper; when Boyd left, his scoring then picked up quite a bit as he was playing further forward again.

Livi fans were discussing this as well but there are a couple of reasons I'd take it with a pinch of salt. He's managing the team himself and any delusions about his own ability will be further amplified. No disrespect to Livi intended (they'll probably pump us) but they are a newly promoted team and I think he'll have likely been dropping deeper to try and add some vision in the last third given that their other forward they have been playing, Lee Miller, isn't the most mobile player to drop off and do that.

It's always a risk but if he can come in to the team and have an immediate impact while the rest of our players adapt to this level, it could work out as a very good signing. McCann has so far overinvested a bit in players (who I think look good naturally gifted footballers) who have never played at this sort of level regularly before so we need some experience in now to tide us over and help them out.

Even if he's not deployed as a prolific forward, we've got a player in Kallman who seems to be a poacher primarily. We play in a very unconventional indirect way with a gradual build up play that allows the opposition to defend in numbers and we don't really like hitting things across the box. If Miller just applies a bit more of direct play and some more aggression to our attacks, it could be worth quite a bit.