All things Dundee FC

Hopefully Meekings gets fit and Goodwin manages to convince Ralph to stay.  A defence of Kerr - Meekings - Davies/Waddell - Ralph is more than good enough for the shite in the league below.  Got a really good fucking feeling about next year.  

13 minutes ago, The Gifted Sub said:

Hopefully Meekings gets fit and Goodwin manages to convince Ralph to stay.  A defence of Kerr - Meekings - Davies/Waddell - Ralph is more than good enough for the shite in the league below.  Got a really good fucking feeling about next year.  

Agree with that, Ralph will be gone though so can count him out, good spine of a team signed already (if everyone stays fit) Just get the midfield sorted out  Goodwin.

Thank you.

Just now, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Agree with that, Ralph will be gone though so can count him out, good spine of a team signed already (if everyone stays fit) Just get the midfield sorted out  Goodwin.

Thank you.

A player like Jim Goodwin wouldn't go amiss.  Been soft as shite for too long.  

On 28/05/2019 at 19:45, RossBFaeDundee said:

When evaluating Goodwin's achievements as a young part-time manager, he's played a blinder so far. Kept them up in a league of full-time teams and continued in the aftermath of Alloa's great recent record of hiring managers (Paul Hartley pre-collapse and Jack Ross). With the right staff behind him (WGS in an advisory role would be magic too) and the budget to easily scout for quality players, he could become a fantastic manager. I'm all ready for a bit of positivity and will be supporting him fully.

Following Jack Ross has been huge for Goodwin as he inherited what was an absolutely terrific part-time team with a nucleus of excellent pros. Those players stuck with him even when he made some suspect calls in his first year as manager. A year in his prospects didn't look good, but he hit upon the strategy of going with the Ross nucleus and adding the best possible young loans from the Premier League to it. That remains the strategy. He has shown he can really develop those loans.  

I do wonder about him building a team as his own permanent signings have generally been unconvincing. He isn't inheriting a good team and dressing room at Dundee and loans alone won't be enough. His decision making can be a little erratic too. Shrinking our park last summer, while sticking with the same expansive footballing style, just didn't make sense and did us no favours. We almost fucked things up at the end of the season too by sitting on leads. Led in last 3 games and only just got the 1 point we needed from them. 

What he has in his favour is that our players very clearly liked and respected him. He could organise them and motivate them and they were so impressive in their ability to bounce back from setbacks. I already mentioned his ability to get the best out of people. You could see players coming on under his tutelage. The football was generally very good to watch. And despite the reputation of Goodwin the player, he is a very calm head and good communicator. All those things will give him a good shot at succeeding. Hope he does exactly that. 

Edited by Waspie

I prefer this to finding out we have gone for one of the old lags that haunt Scottish football and hear someone on Sportsound telling us 'I think he can a do a job for Dundee'.

Has his work cut out with this squad. Major re build needed by him before we even kick a ball, but I am ok with this.

8 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Good luck to Goodwin but I think he's going to have his work cut out to beat United to first next year. 

He has a blank canvas to implement his own ideas. If he can't build a squad better than United's filled with the likes of Mark Connolly, Calum Butcher, Jamie Robson and Mark Reynolds then he'll have failed IMO.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He has a blank canvas to implement his own ideas. If he can't build a squad better than United's filled with the likes of Mark Connolly, Calum Butcher, Jamie Robson and Mark Reynolds then he'll have failed IMO.

The blank Dundee canvas is why I make United favourites, and they have the experience in that league.  Maybe Goodwin will get the funds and right players in to change that.

Just now, Snifter Pee Rot said:

The blank Dundee canvas is why I make United favourites, and they have the experience in that league.  Maybe Goodwin will get the funds and right players in to change that.

They have experience of failing to get out of the league. Goodwin will get the funds, indeed, it sounds like he'll be getting a similar budget to what we had in the top flight ie, a top 6 budget. If he fails on that, then it's on him.

23 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

They have experience of failing to get out of the league. Goodwin will get the funds, indeed, it sounds like he'll be getting a similar budget to what we had in the top flight ie, a top 6 budget. If he fails on that, then it's on him.

There's a lot of unknowns about Goodwin stepping up for me. It's a punt by Dundee just like the punt United took on Ray McKinnon.  

3 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

There's a lot of unknowns about Goodwin stepping up for me. It's a punt by Dundee just like the punt United took on Ray McKinnon.  

Pretty much every managerial appointment is a 'punt'. Heckingbottom was a punt for you lot as he'd never managed in Scotland, sacked by his last club and has a WR of below 30% over his managerial career. St Mirren took a punt on Jack Ross - Very similar situation to Goodwin. We took a punt with Hartley who got us promoted last time.

It's just as easy to pick out the positives as it is the negatives.

I've no idea if Goodwin will do well or not. He might be the best managerial appointment since Steve Clarke or he might be the worst since John Barnes, but the fact is, such is the situation he'll be in, success or failure will be entirely down to him and on his watch.

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Hartley came from Alloa and got us promoted..

A decent gamble . Hopefully this gamble will pay off and we can build for a bright future.

It worked hiring the alloa guy before. My spreadsheet says do it again.

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pretty much every managerial appointment is a 'punt'. Heckingbottom was a punt for you lot as he'd never managed in Scotland, sacked by his last club and has a WR of below 30% over his managerial career. St Mirren took a punt on Jack Ross - Very similar situation to Goodwin. We took a punt with Hartley who got us promoted last time.

It's just as easy to pick out the positives as it is the negatives.

I've no idea if Goodwin will do well or not. He might be the best managerial appointment since Steve Clarke or he might be the worst since John Barnes, but the fact is, such is the situation he'll be in, success or failure will be entirely down to him and on his watch.

Agree with most of what you say but we won the ‘worst manager since Barnes’ award when we appointed McIntyre 

27 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Gary woods has left Hamilton under freedom of contract. Would he be worth throwing a wage at?

100%. Think he's a tidy keeper.