All things Dundee FC

How has Byrne started for you? Seen the 3rd goal that was a wonderful pass for the goal. We are going to really miss him this season

Tidy; albeit besides that cut to Curran his passing yesterday was frustrating. Always sideways or back the way, even if there was a clear, better pass in front of him. Can’t fault him winning the ball back in midfield or doing some of the dirty work alongside Ness however.

I'll have 6. 
£20? 
British Liver Trust if I win plz, Mr Moo. 

Deal. So you 6 and I’ll go for 10. I’ll post my charity nearer the time.

Jesus Moo - I’m probably his biggest backer and I wouldn’t take that bet!

Let’s just be delighted he’s scored at last. Well done Craig, more please. You’re emulating Moussa at this point.

If he can score 2 or 3 at they dayglos across the road with the shite they had supplying him then I’ve got faith he’ll get a few here.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:
3 hours ago, srw said:
Hopes that Curran has turned a corner after one goal, Jesus guys just settle. One goal after six months of of never looking like scoring isn’t enough to sway my opinion. But he works hard, so that counts for something right. 
As for plaudits from other players, remember the players 100% backing McCann, then backing McIntyre. Or saying Hamilton is a very good keeper etc It’s what they do. When was the last time a player criticised a fellow player or manager?
If Curran starts scoring and/or assisting  regularly, then fine. I’d be surprised if he does though. 

Take Curran out of last season and how many goals does Nelson score?

😂 more. 

[emoji23] more. 

Yeah if it wanst for Curran, Nelson wouldn't of scored them few goals that he did...

I mean Nelson only scored his first two goals while Curran was on the bench and then Curran came on and after a lovely move scored in an open goal.

However regardless of what happens we now know one charity will be better off because of Curran, that is pleasing

2 hours ago, harry94 said:
3 hours ago, srw said:
Hopes that Curran has turned a corner after one goal, Jesus guys just settle. One goal after six months of of never looking like scoring isn’t enough to sway my opinion. But he works hard, so that counts for something right. 
As for plaudits from other players, remember the players 100% backing McCann, then backing McIntyre. Or saying Hamilton is a very good keeper etc It’s what they do. When was the last time a player criticised a fellow player or manager?
If Curran starts scoring and/or assisting  regularly, then fine. I’d be surprised if he does though. 

Take Curran out of last season and how many goals does Nelson score?

Equally, had Nelson had a more capable strike partner, they would have contributed more. 

Lets not go overboard after Curran manages one goal, against a team in the league below us is all I’m saying.

Had he picked the ball up in his own half, dribbled past 6 players, put someone on his arse, then nutmegged the goalie, then maybe get excited, all he did was finish from 12 yards, there’s no need for party balloons yet. 

7 minutes ago, srw said:

Equally, had Nelson had a more capable strike partner, they would have contributed more. 

Lets not go overboard after Curran manages one goal, against a team in the league below us is all I’m saying.

Had he picked the ball up in his own half, dribbled past 6 players, put someone on his arse, then nutmegged the goalie, then maybe get excited, all he did was finish from 12 yards, there’s no need for party balloons yet. 

Completely agreed. For now, he is still below Moussa in terms of effectiveness. Hopefully that stigma changes over the season. That being said, I celebrated Curran's goal the most, largely because I told my unswayed mate that Curran would finally get off the mark, and he did it within two minutes.

13 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Nelson was talking Curran up to high heaven in his post match interview. Said he was one of the most honest people in football and he said he plays exactly like he is off the field - not the best comment considering Dundee fan's opinion of Curran, but understand the sentiment.

Even Curran's celebration today was fantastic, it was almost like, 'Yeah, finally, I know' and he held his hands up and his celebration was literally just clapping the fans. I feel we may have jumped the gun with him tbh. Is he gonna score 15 goals? Is he f**k. Is he gonna be the best player we've ever seen? No. Can he be brilliant foil for Nelson? Maybe. I bet County fans would say he helped Liam Boyle become the striker he was? @CountyFan @bunglebonce

He'll still be a likely boo boy favourite but I like the work rate.

He was a sort of cult hero at County. Clearly a limited player but he's a grafter who plays with a smile on his face and it was kind of infectious. He definitely made Boyce a better player. I was surprised to see him bounce around as much as he has after he left us and I was surprised that Dundee fans didn't take to him, but I saw very few of your matches last season so he maybe didn't earn that in the same way as he did at county. 

TLDR - he works fucking hard and I like that. 

Well of course but the whole Curran hatred is well overboard and it's nonsense all the people saying he contributed nothing last season.

He had a few good games with Nelson and set up a few of his goals and gave him some space to play. When either player was partnered with our other option, Miller, the goals dried up and we were totally incapable of holding the ball up top and then struggled when both attackers took their injuries.

I'm not saying he's amazing but he's spent years playing at top flight level in a productive attack and clearly brings something. Obviously a Safranko (which is why he left United) or a May would bring more but of all the players we have to shit on from last season, he's fairly low down the list of players to waste my seethe on and I think he's a good option to have in the second tier and a player of his style will definitely help Nelson.

United's spending on guys like Shankland has put out of proportion the expectations we have just because they are our arch rivals and there's a limit to what the club can afford.

Well of course but the whole Curran hatred is well overboard and it's nonsense all the people saying he contributed nothing last season.

He had a few good games with Nelson and set up a few of his goals and gave him some space to play. When either player was partnered with our other option, Miller, the goals dried up and we were totally incapable of holding the ball up top and then struggled when both attackers took their injuries.

I'm not saying he's amazing but he's spent years playing at top flight level in a productive attack and clearly brings something. Obviously a Safranko (which is why he left United) or a May would bring more but of all the players we have to shit on from last season, he's fairly low down the list of players to waste my seethe on and I think he's a good option to have in the second tier and a player of his style will definitely help Nelson.

United's spending on guys like Shankland has put out of proportion the expectations we have just because they are our arch rivals and there's a limit to what the club can afford.
His job is a striker, mainly his job to put the ball in the net.
This season he may well do alright but he was so out his depth in the top flight. He may work hard and run about but in the top flight you cant just do that and that is it.
Many shots on target last season do you reckon he had ?
His seethe I had on him from last season was same as rest of them , which was clearly none of them are good enough in the top league. Only two players I would of kept at the time was Ralph and Nelson and one went away for nothing.
However it is in the past , we have found our level and these players need to show they are good enough to get back in the top league.
We have 3 ( sure its 3 weeks or may be only 2) until the league starts to make sure come the friday night we will come away with 3 points against Dunfermline, that simple

His job is a striker, mainly his job to put the ball in the net.
This season he may well do alright but he was so out his depth in the top flight. He may work hard and run about but in the top flight you cant just do that and that is it.
Many shots on target last season do you reckon he had ?
His seethe I had on him from last season was same as rest of them , which was clearly none of them are good enough in the top league. Only two players I would of kept at the time was Ralph and Nelson and one went away for nothing.
However it is in the past , we have found our level and these players need to show they are good enough to get back in the top league.
We have 3 ( sure its 3 weeks or may be only 2) until the league starts to make sure come the friday night we will come away with 3 points against Dunfermline, that simple
It's not though. If we didn't sign Marcus Haber, there's no way we'd have stayed in that division with our trajectory at that time but he didn't score many goals. His ability to hold the ball up opened things up for others and just gave us a chance to get the ball up the park, the 7-0 loss to Aberdeen wouldn't have become a victory if he was fit but his absence made things a whole lot worse.

If your striker is helping the team overall and bringing others into play, that's OK as long as you've got a balanced side and the goals are coming from somewhere.

It's not though. If we didn't sign Marcus Haber, there's no way we'd have stayed in that division with our trajectory at that time but he didn't score many goals. His ability to hold the ball up opened things up for others and just gave us a chance to get the ball up the park, the 7-0 loss to Aberdeen wouldn't have become a victory if he was fit but his absence made things a whole lot worse.

If your striker is helping the team overall and bringing others into play, that's OK as long as you've got a balanced side and the goals are coming from somewhere.
Last season curran didnt look like scoring, didnt really take many shots either. Just really ran about, had a few good games. He, plus the rest of them was part of the reason we got relegated. So much so not many of them left who did get us relegated.
Hamilton - nobody has trust in him in Dundee support.
Kerr - I feel sorry for him as think there is a player in him but I feel this is a huge season for him to prove he is a good player.
Meekings - like a new signing.. needs to stay fit.
McGowan- may do good in championship ( has had a good pre season so hopefully keeps it up )
Nelson - needs to stay fit or think we are fucked
Curran- if Nelson gets injured can we rely on him to lead the line. Maybe coming off bench is ideal in second half for his enegery of running about ?

Still believe we need few more strikers in to help out.

However I have faith in mcpake and hope whatever happens this season ( as long as not relegated) we should still be looking further into the future with mcpake and the helm.

16 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I’d say the dislike of Curran is based on several factors, some of which aren’t his fault. 1, McIntyres perceived buddy issue 2, Failed at Utd, but we moved him up a league 3, Dismal scoring record before us 4, No goals last season 5, Very poor qualities apart from effort 6, His persona

When looking at a player, you can’t just be positive or negative to suit your agenda.

Yes, he was indeed effective in a couple of games, however he offered absolutely nothing in many more games. Overall, he can only be classed as a failure, if anyone disagrees with that, then I’m sorry, but that’s a ridiculous viewpoint. 

Similarly, what kind of player is he, his positive attributes are commitment, effort, attitude and work ethic. And they all mean the same thing effectively. What are his negatives, finishing, passing, creativity, composure. Summing up, he is a poor player. Granted he had a semi purple patch a few years ago at Ross County, but those days look long gone. 

3 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I am with you on this on Harry.

It is all down to the style of play the manager is wanting.

If his job is to hold up the ball to bring the midfield into the attack then he has been doing this.

If his job is to be a poacher then he has not been doing this.

I suspect that he was initially brought in to hold the ball up but I dont know what McPake has planned for him this season.

IMO he is too slow and not clinical enough to be a poacher, that is clearly Nelsons role.

Curran does need to threaten more from set pieces though.

14 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Haber scored though, Curran had a pass back against St Johnstone that their goalie looked embarrassed to ‘save’. You simply can’t compare them, on any level. 

Edited by srw

Haber scored though, Curran had a pass back against St Johnstone that their goalie looked embarrassed to ‘save’. You simply can’t compare them, on any level. 
How many chances do you think both players had created for them though?

Curran's scoring record is pretty much identical before last season.