All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

No, you're bang on. The First Division in the season we got to the Coca Cola Cup Final was as strong as f**k. I think we finished about 5th or something, but that squad would probably win the Championship now. Likewise the four teams that finished above us that season would all hold their own in the Premier. Dunfermline were a cracking outfit, great to watch and free-scoring as f**k, The DABs, much as it pains me to say it, still had the likes of Billy McKinlay, St Johnstone were building a side that would go on to establish itself comfortably in the Premier League and even Morton, although inconsistent, still rolled out a seemingly endless run of good young players. 

Maybe it is misty-eyed shite, but football just seemed a lot better then. IIRC that season ended with Dunfermline winning the title after a 1-0 win at Tannadice towards the end of the season, Morton and United fought out a 2-2 draw, with United scraping the play-off spot in which they would swap places with Partick. 

Ah, 95/96. Easily my favourite time watching the Pars, even though I was only 10 and 11 that season. 

That First Division was incredible strong. Us, both Dundee teams, Morton, St Johnstone, Clydebank, St Mirren, Airdrie and Hamilton; all had great players and strong squads. Look them up and you'll be surprised at just good all those teams were. Only Dumbarton were shit that season, but even then had some good players.

Our games were often high scoring and my all time Pars XI has 6 players from this team, with Andy Smith only missing out because he never had a regular strike partner.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Ah, 95/96. Easily my favourite time watching the Pars, even though I was only 10 and 11 that season. 

That First Division was incredible strong. Us, both Dundee teams, Morton, St Johnstone, Clydebank, St Mirren, Airdrie and Hamilton; all had great players and strong squads. Look them up and you'll be surprised at just good all those teams were. Only Dumbarton were shit that season, but even then had some good players.

Our games were often high scoring and my all time Pars XI has 6 players from this team, with Andy Smith only missing out because he never had a regular strike partner.

Dunfermline were superb. We played them at Dens quite early on i think, and iirc went 2-0 up, ended up losing 2-4, with one of the goals being a perfectly executed overhead kick. We also drew 4-4, despite being 4-2 up with 5 mins left, not sure if that was the same season though. 

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Dunfermline were superb. We played them at Dens quite early on i think, and iirc went 2-0 up, ended up losing 2-4, with one of the goals being a perfectly executed overhead kick. We also drew 4-4, despite being 4-2 up with 5 mins left, not sure if that was the same season though. 

4-4 was the season before:

2-4 was 95/96. Overhead kick was Andy Tod (son of God!). Big shout out to Michel Pageaud (sp?)

Other game at Dens that season was 1-1. Jerry O'Driscoll scored a very later headed equaliser.

You beat us 0-1 at East End. Guido Van De Kamp was knocked out and we had no sub goalie (this was the days of only 3 subs). Paul Smith went in goal and couldn't save the winning goal. I was at that one.

The other game at East End was 1-1 but I have zero memory of it so must have missed it. I saw nearly every home game that season.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

4-4 was the season before:

2-4 was 95/96. Overhead kick was Andy Tod (son of God!). Big shout out to Michel Pageaud (sp?)

Other game at Dens that season was 1-1. Jerry O'Driscoll scored a very later headed equaliser.

You beat us 0-1 at East End. Guido Van De Kamp was knocked out and we had no sub goalie (this was the days of only 3 subs). Paul Smith went in goal and couldn't save the winning goal. I was at that one.

The other game at East End was 1-1 but I have zero memory of it so must have missed it. I saw nearly every home game that season.

Good finds. Similarly I used to go to nearly all our games in those days. 

38 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Anyone else watching the old Motherwell v United game , look at that crowd🤩🤩

Was that the time when United were sponsored by Belhaven?  If I remember that era correctly one was brewed in Scotland, the other bottled at Hampden.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

We are delighted to announce that later this week we will make access to DeeTV free of charge to Season Ticket holders for the duration of the league shutdown

Fire in..

Bit annoyed at that. Paid £60 earlier in the year for the service and already have a season ticket. Feels like wasted money.

ETA: Get why they've done it of course and have no issue with others being able to watch it - Just £60 doon the drain was more the annoyance.

Edited by Ludo*1

29 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bit annoyed at that. Paid £60 earlier in the year for the service and already have a season ticket. Feels like wasted money.

ETA: Get why they've done it of course and have no issue with others being able to watch it - Just £60 doon the drain was more the annoyance.

A double whammy Ludo because your season ticket isn’t worth anything now either.  Realistically there is no chance this season will be completed.   

Try not to be annoyed though.  I’m just looking at the fact I bought season tickets for me and the kids as me doing my bit to help the club. 

6 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Josh Meekings is the fastest player at the club going by the most recent data, according to James McPake. Reckons he’s getting back to his pre-injury fitness.

He always is when his contract is due.

10 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Not sure if that's his trophy cabinet or he's a burglar!!!! Legendary 'tache too...

Does look more like he's just thieved some bling for himself but anyone with a' tache like that must be a fine upstanding fellow!

3 minutes ago, locheedee said:

Does look more like he's just thieved some bling for himself but anyone with a' tache like that must be a fine upstanding fellow!

If you were ever wondering about the origin of the term football 'shirt' you need wonder no more. Surprised they didn't wear ties. 

9 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

If you were ever wondering about the origin of the term football 'shirt' you need wonder no more. Surprised they didn't wear ties. 

It's the 'badge' that gets me, if that's what it is anyway? Looks like a full on plaque with medals attached to it?

5 hours ago, locheedee said:

Proper old school, no fannying around in pink fluorescent nikes.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again