All things Dundee FC

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Good to see you've no argument whatsoever. There's also no grammatical errors in there despite it quite clearly being colloquial English so tough luck

I'm not arguing with an idiot tbh. There are grammatical errors tbf, but again, I'm not going to argue with a simpleton.

Really shite tonight, the worst thing is the effort can't be faulted we just aren't good enough to compete in games like this.

I said it pre-match there's just no hope of us going to Easter Road and the likes and picking up a win. 

Injuries and suspensions are building up. Things are getting tough but we need to get points before the Derby. 

Cammy Kerr centre half at the weekend? We literally have no options in midfield if McGhee is dropped into CB. At least Anderson was one shining light tonight - brilliant. 

Desperate times are here again. 

Thank you. 

45 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Really shite tonight, the worst thing is the effort can't be faulted we just aren't good enough to compete in games like this.

I said it pre-match there's just no hope of us going to Easter Road and the likes and picking up a win. 

Injuries and suspensions are building up. Things are getting tough but we need to get points before the Derby. 

Cammy Kerr centre half at the weekend? We literally have no options in midfield if McGhee is dropped into CB. At least Anderson was one shining light tonight - brilliant. 

Thank you. 

Indeed, properly limping into January.

Think of how good we'll be come February though lol.

I've defended Griffiths for a while, but for him to still clearly have that beer belly gut is fucking embarrassing. Whilst I'm at it, the white knighting of Cummings needs to stop as well. Aye, he has a decent scoring record for us, but he contributes nothing most of the time he features. He is a complete penalty box striker yet we try and shoehorn him in on the wing. We've not got a capable enough squad to carry him when he's on the pitch. He's not strong, he's not pacy, he can't hold the ball up, his first touch isn't amazing and he wouldn't be starting for most other teams in the league based on his contributions when he does come on. And if you're willing to defend Cummings for being played out of position, then Alex Jakubiak should get the exact same defence and I don't see anyone going to bat for him!

The fact that Danny Mullen, a striker that relies on sheer effort rather than talent keeps both them out the team is a damning indictment on them both and what they bring to the side when they're on the pitch.

But ignore all that, the fact that this is the least of our worries and that we have a chronic defence and a creative void in midfield when Charlie Adam is missing should be the death knell for McPake's management of the club.

Edited by Ludo*1

Thank you. 

Agree effort cannot be faulted and when all is said and done it was an own goal that beat us. I thought we played not too badly in spells. As I said after Saturday I don’t think there is anyone in particular to blame, we are just very mediocre all over the park.

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

Can we rule McGhee out as a central midfielder after this performance tonight?

He's really limited playing in midfield. Offers absolutely nothing in a creative capacity and isn't particularly destructive either. The one thing he can do is run, but that's a waste of time when he's played alongside another runner like Anderson. Limitations of our squad exposed yet again tonight.

The irony is we went years struggling precisely because we had absolutely no box-to-box runners in the midfield and right now that's all we have.

7 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Agree effort cannot be faulted and when all is said and done it was an own goal that beat us. I thought we played not too badly in spells. As I said after Saturday I don’t think there is anyone in particular to blame, we are just very mediocre all over the park.

Pretty much. We lucked into playing a shitey, shambolic, demoralised Killie squad in the playoffs, beat them with a Championship calibre squad, added virtually nothing to it, and went playing Premiership football. I don't think it's in any way surprising we are struggling.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

McPake's style since he came in is, 'If we're behind with 20 minutes to go, chuck loads of strikers on'. Zero thought process or plan involved, just get em on.

Pretty much. 

I'm not defending McPake, but the reality is that even with the full squad at his disposal there is no actual variance on the bench. There isn't really much he can do other than swapping like for like or chucking on extra forwards. As much as that can be attributed to a lack of ideas, it's also down to a lack of options in the squad, at least, options that provide something significantly different to what's likely on the pitch already.

Whether this is down to a lack of money, a lack of planning and foresight, or a lack of players willing to come to Dens, or some combination of all three, I do not know, but the fact that what depth we do have is all very 'samey' and much of a muchness in terms of quality is obviously a hugely limiting factor.

I'll credit McPake for spotting a few weaknesses in the team and addressing them. He, or at least someone on the staff, recognised the lack of box-to-box running and addressed that by putting McGhee into midfield and bringing through Max Anderson. They've addressed the lack of options out wide by bringing in McMullan and McCowan, and I think it's fair to say both have been valuable additions. The problem I as I see it is we are entirely reliant on one player to create anything at all from deep and central positions, and when Adam does not play we do not score. It really is that simple. I think we really lack an attacking midfielder type who can scruff a game and crack a defence open, a Scott Allan type. I'm not necessarily advocating bringing back Scott Allan himself, but I think that sort of player would definitely give McPake a different option other than just throwing on strikers. I like Gowser, but even though he's being played in his 'natural' position, he too is a good Championship player IMO, and he's just not of the quality required to be a true difference making player in that sort of role. Playing Griffiths there shrieks of desperation more than anything else. If he's too unfit/past it to do anything in his natural striking role, then I can't see what playing him off a striker is supposed to achieve.

Consensus in here is that our entire defence is shite and needs replaced. While I'd agree with that, I also think that there's a desperate lack of creativity and control up the middle of the park Charlie Adam aside, and that also needs addressed.

5 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Nae worries lads, McPake will loan Snodgrass from West Brom in January and we'll be just fine 😎

As for defence... what's a defence?

You've just made me want us to sign him again and bring him home ffs :D You can have Stevie Lawless if you want, scored 1 and assisted 1 in a friendly for us today

13 hours ago, Hendo said:

So what should the punishment be for this, if he is convicted?

I work in social work - if I was convicted of drink driving, I would lose my job, probably be deregistered and never work in the sector again, also losing all pension rights. My wife would then probably leave me, I'd have to go to court to get access to the children and before long I'd be in a homeless hostel, drinking super lager for breakfast.

So what should be the punishment for Charlie boy? A bit less because he can drag his ageing bloated frame round a football pitch?

Absolute nonsense.

Wish McPake would just go away, there's no enthusiasm from me when we play, just a feeling of dread, and hopelessness, looking forward to the winter break. Be good to get a couple of weeks rest from this shite.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again