All things Dundee FC

4 minutes ago, Wieghortsnut said:

Only problem with that is if they get a doing all the time thats their confidence fucked. And I've always noticed for some unknown reason every player that comes through out youth system arent exactly big laddies 

Currently this is happening in the 15s. 

See when we had Dave Mackay on the bench.... why didn't we put a load on young players on the bench ? Or were not allowed too? 

7 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Sounds more like the parents have got the hump because their kids have perhaps been deemed not got enough. Sport can be harsh!

Seems to be the case for quite a few boys. Is why other players are either leaving to go to other teams to either develop further or unfortunately pack it it. 

Is mental but our youth has been shite for years. 

22 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Without a doubt it’s good. Playing against bigger, stronger, quicker guys means you have to use your brain rather than brawn to get the better of the opposition. Every aspect of your game has to improve from your touch, use of the ball and reading what’s going on around you. Pretty much a pre season when I was a young Derryboy.  

There's a middle ground between that and letting kids enjoy playing football without being blootered about the park by kids twice their size.

By playing so many age ranges above at such a young age you're just going to find yourself stuck with all the big laddies who can cope physically while the smaller ones are forgotten about as they struggle.

13 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Seems to be the case for quite a few boys. Is why other players are either leaving to go to other teams to either develop further or unfortunately pack it it. 

Stopped to take in a wee bit of the training sessions when I’ve been out exercising a few times plus driving home from work. We look like we’ve got the Cairdie training complex Monday- Wednesday plus a Friday for games sometimes and the filth have it on a Thursday. The 2 training strategies seem poles apart. Ours look like it’s high intensity, with the emphasis on working on your touch and getting on the ball/defending as much as possible. The filth’s look like it’s just a case of game’s getting played. Don’t take this the wrong way but if you have a chance pop past and make a decision on what you see for yourself.

The guy moaning isn’t the same person who said Mulligan’s a right back is it…….😂 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's a middle ground between that and letting kids enjoy playing football without being blootered about the park by kids twice their size.

By playing so many age ranges above at such a young age you're just going to find yourself stuck with all the big laddies who can cope physically while the smaller ones are forgotten about as they struggle.

Nah I’d disagree hugely on that. You’re stuck with the guys who are better on the ball and understand the game better tactically. Most people improve playing against a better standard of player. 

43 minutes ago, Wieghortsnut said:

And our youth system seems to be a bit of a shambles because united have a conveyor belt of talent they can get ridiculous money for, who was the last player we sold from our youth system? Kevin McDonald?

E856D37E-B2C0-4899-B83B-5EA50F49B385.jpeg.723baf7d81922d0a675ee84521e56642.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Nah I’d disagree hugely on that. You’re stuck with the guys who are better on the ball and understand the game better tactically. Most people improve playing against a better standard of player. 

Fair dues, just my own experiences of youth football were that the bigger ones looked better once you went up a couple of age ranges for opponents. Kids at 12/13/14 aren't going to be technically sound enough to overcome that unless they're sensational, and some kids won't reach that stage until later. Drilling tactics into kids at that age is wrong too, just let them develop technically and let the tactical stuff come later.

Beware the early growers.

37 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Some amount of money (unless people are doing it for free) the DAB's are chucking into secondary school football in Dundee.

23 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Don’t take this the wrong way but if you have a chance pop past and make a decision on what you see for yourself.

The guy moaning isn’t the same person who said Mulligan’s a right back is it…….😂 

I was there on Friday at Caird Park as my sons team were against Dundee. 2 pitches split into 4. 3 Dundee teams got beat and 1 team did very well . (Johnnydun can vouch for that as was late for my own fives haha). Granted Dundee West teams did very well as we have few boys on books of United but aye apart from the facilities, team was nothing special. If anything helped our team mega as they know they can beat Dundee haha. Again that's a young age group however but brilliant experience.

I'd like to see more of Mulligan play. I presume that's why we have brought him back for game time with our first team. If we don't use him we be aswell have kept him at Peterhead . And I did say he played more at Right back at Peterhead..... 

11 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

my sons team were against Dundee. 2 pitches split into 4. 3 Dundee teams got beat and 1 team did very well . (Johnnydun can vouch for that as was late for my own fives haha).

You were late because you decided to pick watching your sons instead of watching Johnnydun?

You need to sort out your priorities mate.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Beware the early growers.

Yeah, Aberdeen used to have a terrible youth set up where they would only pick the biggest laddies to win everything at that age group, but when everyone else caught up they were pretty poor. The likes of Maloney were missed out on because they were 'too wee'.

1 hour ago, Robin.Hood said:

I was there on Friday at Caird Park as my sons team were against Dundee. 2 pitches split into 4. 3 Dundee teams got beat and 1 team did very well . (Johnnydun can vouch for that as was late for my own fives haha). Granted Dundee West teams did very well as we have few boys on books of United but aye apart from the facilities, team was nothing special. If anything helped our team mega as they know they can beat Dundee haha. Again that's a young age group however but brilliant experience.

I'd like to see more of Mulligan play. I presume that's why we have brought him back for game time with our first team. If we don't use him we be aswell have kept him at Peterhead . And I did say he played more at Right back at Peterhead..... 

Been told he will never play right back for us. Thought that was a bit of a bold statement but there you go. Personally I’d like to see him coming on for McMullan later in games like McCowan did for McGinn on the other wing. 

Been told he will never play right back for us. Thought that was a bit of a bold statement but there you go. Personally I’d like to see him coming on for McMullan later in games like McCowan did for McGinn on the other wing. 

Was he not quite effective out wide when he came on for us in those couple of games 2 seasons ago? I can remember thinking ‘he looks half decent’.

39 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Was he not quite effective out wide when he came on for us in those couple of games 2 seasons ago? I can remember thinking ‘he looks half decent’.

Yeah I thought so any way. He’s a powerful runner with the ball at his feet. 

As regards to the youth academy I thought Max Anderson was head and shoulders above anyone else developed out either club’s youth academy the other night. 

Edited by Yenitit

14 hours ago, Yenitit said:

Been told he will never play right back for us. Thought that was a bit of a bold statement but there you go.  

Didnt he play wing back/ right back for Peterhead. Fitting in slot of McMullan dosnt sound too bad if he has been playing out wide?

Certainly see it more than him playing in the middle. 

However tombola today I look forward too.