All things Dundee FC

The Celtic TV commentary last night was comical btw.

Kept on moaning about how we had no real game plan and just kept lumping up the park; one of the old duffers said that the Celtic defence could deal with that all day long, seconds later one of the long balls was missed by the defender and Loy got through on goal. :lol:

Has Kerr even ever played in a back 4?

He did a couple of times last season when he came on as a sub; Ross Co & Motherwell away. He started twice in a back 4 in the Championship (Cowdenbeath at home and Morton away).

The Celtic TV commentary last night was comical btw.

Kept on moaning about how we had no real game plan and just kept lumping up the park; one of the old duffers said that the Celtic defence could deal with that all day long, seconds later one of the long balls was missed by the defender and Loy got through on goal. :lol:

That reminds me of a game back when Liam Brady managed Celtic. They were hopeless all through the match at dealing with high balls into their box. That was put to Brady in the post-match interview. Instead of agreeing with the obvious point he complained that Dundee had played a long ball game. Apparently Dundee were unsporting trying to take advantage of his defence's disdain for dealing with such vulgar tactics.

Thought it better to follow up on my quote from the Celts game here as more pertinent "You want a bet on how many headers Ross wins, or good tackles made? Against weaker opposition he can get away with it but against Celts he'll be useless. Expect him to play so we shall see"

I counted 2 ok tackles - challenges from behind/side, none full on, and no headers except when he was completely on his own (even losing one where you thought he surely can't lose this one). Compared with Gowser the difference was absolutely astounding. That said he had one of his better games going forward, nothing that came to anything and didn't impose himself but looked ok. We were under a lot of pressure, especially from corners, last night and still think Meggatt would have helped (not saying he should play there every week, far from it).

That reminds me of a game back when Liam Brady managed Celtic. They were hopeless all through the match at dealing with high balls into their box. That was put to Brady in the post-match interview. Instead of agreeing with the obvious point he complained that Dundee had played a long ball game. Apparently Dundee were unsporting trying to take advantage of his defence's disdain for dealing with such vulgar tactics.

It was Scotsport I think. The paranoid wee f**k was a studio guest. Celtic were awful that day, scraping a 1-0 win.

Packie Bonner dropped two crosses in the opening 15 mins, so of course we targeted him with high balls thereafter.

Does anyone else feel a bit sorry for Arturo? Can't be easy coming to over new country looking to kick start your career and be stuck sitting on the bench time after time.

I was watching him during the pre-game warm up on Tuesday as he stood on his own, hands in pockets, staring dejectedly at Hemmings, Stewart and co doing their shooting practice. Every now and then he would do a few keepy ups to try and look busy but they were by no means happy keepy ups, in fact they were probably the saddest keepy ups I've ever seen. I just wanted to run down and give him a big hug.

Hopefully he gets a chance to prove himself. I have a feeling he might be a good'un - both on the field and off it.

There was an interview in Spanish with him a few weeks back. It was laborious trying to Google translate it and it wasn't a particularly rewarding experience as it wouldn't 'copy' over so I had to type it in and it didn't make sense. What I did take from it, is that he is struggling to learn English and he's frustrated at that but he loves it here even if it's taken him longer than he hoped to settle but Julen has played a massive part in making him settle down.

I think Hartley is maybe doing what he done with Gadzhalov last season in that he's focusing on him getting settled first and he'll be judged more next season (if we keep him).

It was Scotsport I think. The paranoid wee f**k was a studio guest. Celtic were awful that day, scraping a 1-0 win.

Packie Bonner dropped two crosses in the opening 15 mins, so of course we targeted him with high balls thereafter.

The only time I have EVER been motivated to write in and complain about any tv programme! Gerry fuckwit McNee - completely slating Dundee for pumping high balls into the box against a poor Celtic keeper and defence that couldn't cope with it at all. Think my heads gone letter included something along the lines of if Brazil had been playing Celtic that day, they would have launched it too! Edited by dee_62

Thought it better to follow up on my quote from the Celts game here as more pertinent "You want a bet on how many headers Ross wins, or good tackles made? Against weaker opposition he can get away with it but against Celts he'll be useless. Expect him to play so we shall see"

I counted 2 ok tackles - challenges from behind/side, none full on, and no headers except when he was completely on his own (even losing one where you thought he surely can't lose this one). Compared with Gowser the difference was absolutely astounding. That said he had one of his better games going forward, nothing that came to anything and didn't impose himself but looked ok. We were under a lot of pressure, especially from corners, last night and still think Meggatt would have helped (not saying he should play there every week, far from it).

Absolute garbage.....you don't have to run about daft like mgowan to be a good effective midfielder. Ross barely wasted a ball which is especially against Celtic a lot more important than winning headers. He's brave in the sense he's happy to take it when surrounded and doesn't just lump it away. The two of th m compliment each other in the middle with their differing styles.

Thought it better to follow up on my quote from the Celts game here as more pertinent "You want a bet on how many headers Ross wins, or good tackles made? Against weaker opposition he can get away with it but against Celts he'll be useless. Expect him to play so we shall see"

I counted 2 ok tackles - challenges from behind/side, none full on, and no headers except when he was completely on his own (even losing one where you thought he surely can't lose this one). Compared with Gowser the difference was absolutely astounding. That said he had one of his better games going forward, nothing that came to anything and didn't impose himself but looked ok. We were under a lot of pressure, especially from corners, last night and still think Meggatt would have helped (not saying he should play there every week, far from it).

Meggatt might have won some headers but that's it - even then I doubt it as he's nowhere near as big as some seem to think.

If he'd played in centre midfield he'd have spent most of the match out of position and consistently lost the ball in the middle under pressure. Not only that he'd have lumped 75% plus of his passes (I'm being generous) out of play/through to the goalkeeper.

Rio Ferdinand was a classy centre half who was comfortable on the ball and had a good range of passing - I wouldn't want him in my midfield though....