All things Dundee FC

Hartley saying the trialists we've had haven't really impressed and we are struggling to find a quality striker so may have to wait until January.

Reckon a few will be disappointed in that but I'm more than happy with it as it shows he won't just waste our budget on any old shite and is looking to invest accordingly.

Hartley saying the trialists we've had haven't really impressed and we are struggling to find a quality striker so may have to wait until January.

Reckon a few will be disappointed in that but I'm more than happy with it as it shows he won't just waste our budget on any old shite and is looking to invest accordingly.

No point wasting money on folk who won't make us any better, but by the same token any fan could have told you in June that we were unlikely to hang on to Hemmings and Stewart. Harkins situation makes it worse.

I'm happy that he's not wasting money.

I'm not happy that we keep playing a system which seems to do nothing more effectively than show where we're short.

No point wasting money on folk who won't make us any better, but by the same token any fan could have told you in June that we were unlikely to hang on to Hemmings and Stewart. Harkins situation makes it worse.

I'm happy that he's not wasting money.

I'm not happy that we keep playing a system which seems to do nothing more effectively than show where we're short.

It's easy to say he knows Hemmings and Stewart are going. It's harder to actually fill the squad with an able replacement and if it's not available then there's no point diving in for a player who's not going to improve us.

If that means we need to go with what we've got and leads us to being slightly imbalanced then so be it.

It's a horrible thing to say, but considering the players that we've lost I think this season has to be seen as a season of consolidation and regrouping.

I see a lot of similarities between this side and the side we had in our first season up. We've obviously got more quality than we did then and we are blooding in some younger players but the style is going to have to be the same. Stuffy, allowing the opposition possession and racking up the points slowly but surely.

The one thing I'm worried about is that at the end of this season we're going to be in the exact same situation with Bain and potentially O'Hara that we were in this one with Stewart and Hemmings.

It's easy to say he knows Hemmings and Stewart are going. It's harder to actually fill the squad with an able replacement and if it's not available then there's no point diving in for a player who's not going to improve us.

If that means we need to go with what we've got and leads us to being slightly imbalanced then so be it.

It's a horrible thing to say, but considering the players that we've lost I think this season has to be seen as a season of consolidation and regrouping.

I see a lot of similarities between this side and the side we had in our first season up. We've obviously got more quality than we did then and we are blooding in some younger players but the style is going to have to be the same. Stuffy, allowing the opposition possession and racking up the points slowly but surely.

The one thing I'm worried about is that at the end of this season we're going to be in the exact same situation with Bain and potentially O'Hara that we were in this one with Stewart and Hemmings.

I don't think I disagree with any of that, certainly the players we had last season were in the exceptional bracket for a club in our situation and credit is deserved. My criticism is that the general problems of the team last year were balanced with the quality that these players brought, and while we were time and again physically bullied out of matches there were an equal number where the quality of the three who have gone won us the game.
I don't personally see a team in the park with the physicality or athleticism to stuffily grind out the results without some spark to stick a few in at the other end, which we'll need over the season.

Hemmings became the ideal striker for the way Hartley wanted to play.
It's obvious he still wants to play like that but the players are not there to do it.

I'm still not overly concerned. This sounds abysmal and maybe my mind would be swayed if I was at the game today though. If we can come through the Celtic and Hearts games then we'll pick up from there on in.

I'm still not overly concerned. This sounds abysmal and maybe my mind would be swayed if I was at the game today though. If we can come through the Celtic and Hearts games then we'll pick up from there on in.

On current form we'll be lucky to get through those two games with less than a seven goal deficit. Apart from that St. Johnstone and Partick, both of whom are showing at least flashes of having something about them, and then the first round is over.
Fair enough we're without players today, but I can't see where they're going to improve if the same stuff keeps getting trotted out.

On current form we'll be lucky to get through those two games with less than a seven goal deficit. Apart from that St. Johnstone and Partick, both of whom are showing at least flashes of having something about them, and then the first round is over.
Fair enough we're without players today, but I can't see where they're going to improve if the same stuff keeps getting trotted out.

Partick Thistle were below us at the start of play today. So they can't have been showing much.

We've not won in 15 against Caley do I didn't expect much. I didn't expect it to be so poor but still.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I am concerned, haven't seen anything this season so far to convince me that we'll comfortably stay up. Hoping for a miraculous turnaround obviously but I'm more hopeful than confident 

We are sitting 9th. There's a grand total of 4 points between bottom and 4th. We have Celtic next week which is a write off and we've got Kevin Gomis and Mark O'Hara coming back after suspensions. We need to improve, but as I say not concerned.

I honestly wish that I could see whatever you guys are seeing that's making you so calm. Everything I can see so far is pointing to a relegation battle.

Maybe we will be in a relegation battle. It'll be a relatively comfortable one for us I'd expect though despite our shakey start.