All things Dundee FC

47 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Do dundee fans feel that their current predicament is similar to their neighbours of a couple of seasons ago?

Not really. Their mess was caused by tactical ineptitude and very poor recruitment. Whereas ours is just a bit of tactical inflexibility (or naivety). We've actually recruited some good players but we don't seem to be playing them to their strengths or setting up right against some teams.

If Hartley mixed up how we played occasionally and made it a little more difficult for opposing managers to predict how to play against us it'd go a long way to fixing what's wrong. but we play narrow all the time despite now having players who can play wide, there's too much emphasis on passing the ball around even if that means not actually moving forward with it so teams pretty much know they can wait till we lose posession then strike down the wing, we're using Loy or El Bak2E as lone strikers when it appears they'd be much more suited to having another forward up there with them, we're not pressing hard enough when we lose possession or playing with a high tempo even though we're told that the players train in an intensive manner.

I'd like to think I'm being pretty realistic in my expectations. I'm not expecting us to be challenging for for the league title, and I fully get that we're just a mid table size club who cant just expect to win all of our matches, but I'd like to see these same problems we've been seeing for the last couple of years or so to actually be addressed quicker than they are.

29 minutes ago, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

Not really. Their mess was caused by tactical ineptitude and very poor recruitment. Whereas ours is just a bit of tactical inflexibility (or naivety). We've actually recruited some good players but we don't seem to be playing them to their strengths or setting up right against some teams.

If Hartley mixed up how we played occasionally and made it a little more difficult for opposing managers to predict how to play against us it'd go a long way to fixing what's wrong. but we play narrow all the time despite now having players who can play wide, there's too much emphasis on passing the ball around even if that means not actually moving forward with it so teams pretty much know they can wait till we lose posession then strike down the wing, we're using Loy or El Bak2E as lone strikers when it appears they'd be much more suited to having another forward up there with them, we're not pressing hard enough when we lose possession or playing with a high tempo even though we're told that the players train in an intensive manner.

I'd like to think I'm being pretty realistic in my expectations. I'm not expecting us to be challenging for for the league title, and I fully get that we're just a mid table size club who cant just expect to win all of our matches, but I'd like to see these same problems we've been seeing for the last couple of years or so to actually be addressed quicker than they are.

Spot on.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

If by "the writing's on the wall" you mean he'll be out on his arse shortly then I think you're wrong. We've only lost to Rangers who probably have about 10 times our budget and Aberdeen who have had a hex over us for as long as I can remember. The c***s. 

As far as a plan b is concerned I can't really comment on this season as I've not seen enough of them but Hartley's not been afraid to change things in the past. Yes, draws are shite but it's not as if we lost Harkins, Stewart and Hemmings at the end of last season and had a full summer to put a squad together and get them to gel. 

You said the two home draws aren't good enough while conveniently failing to mention the cracking result away at County.

Stop being so negative ffs. Boys like you at Dens do my tits in.

We drew 15 league games last season, thats with Harkins, Hemmings and Stewart, these draws arent a new thing.

Yes we had a good result in Ross County, so thats 1 win in 6 games, and out the cup to some diddies. Hardly a good start to the season.

Stop being deluded, boys like you not at Dens do my tits in.

8 hours ago, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

Ideally we'd be able to get Tommy wright in, he's consistently proven at St Johnstone that he can get good results with a team that (IMO) man to man are not as good as the players we have at our disposal. But I just cant see them letting him go without a good amount of compensation, and I'm sure that if he were to leave perth he'd be going to a bigger team than us.

It's a shite state of affairs.

:lol::lol::lol:

Never change Dees, never change.

I hope to fvkk the Boss doesn't read these posts. I would bet that a few of the players do.
Honestly, we lost some players at the end of the window that most of the teams in this league would give their eye teeth for. Hartley has started rebuilding with the players brought in and some guys who are still maturing into their roles.
OHara has become a better player in central midfield than as a defensive back at Killie. Hartley recognised this. Hately clearly has ability needing harnessed, again I believe this will happen. Holt looks a better prospect than last year but will still make mistakes, that's inevitable, just as Kerr will. Defensively the pairing of ODea and Gomes will be strong. So midfield and defence covered we do need to find a partner for El Bac2e, I'm still holding out for Jordi making the grade. This is not going to happen overnight and possibly not in a couple of months but give it time.
In Hartley I trust.
Oh and Bain, great keeper, will go far in the game. Let's hope the doom merchants at Dens don't accelerate that decision.

TW was pretty open to the approach from United, tbf,so if Dundee could prove theyre run securely then he'd maybe hold an interest. His compensation is pretty substantial for Scottish clubs to pay though, and he's been clear the past month or two about wanting a chance in England. Due to his age his next move needs to be the right one, and Dundee wouldnt really help him.

Yeah TW would be quite daft to take another gig in Scotland unless it's Celtic or Rangers. No point in potentially damaging your reputation up here for shite money when you could do down south for good money.

37 minutes ago, srw said:

We drew 15 league games last season, thats with Harkins, Hemmings and Stewart, these draws arent a new thing.

Yes we had a good result in Ross County, so thats 1 win in 6 games, and out the cup to some diddies. Hardly a good start to the season.

Stop being deluded, boys like you not at Dens do my tits in.

Deluded about what exactly?

Why are we even talking about this ffs ?

I suppose because apart from Ross County away there are two ways to look at all our other results.

The draws at home against Hamilton and Killie were either unlucky as in both we had a 1/100 type goal scored against us. Alternatively we drew at home against sides hotly tipped for relegation.
Against the sevconians we had a better second half and could have had a draw against a side with a far bigger budget. The other side is that we could easily have been 4-5 down by half time, and the sevcos have been shown up as a pretty poor side.
You could apply much of the same to yesterday, in isolation not a bad result, but a result which followed a pattern of how we've been performing. Motherwell away I didn't make so can't comment.

We will be in a better position to judge after the whole of the first set of fixtures and there is no obvious better candidate out there, but I spoke to a United supporting colleague this morning who seemed familiar with the pitfalls of trying to play the same way when the players who made the system work have all left.

9 hours ago, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

Ideally we'd be able to get Tommy wright in, he's consistently proven at St Johnstone that he can get good results with a team that (IMO) man to man are not as good as the players we have at our disposal. But I just cant see them letting him go without a good amount of compensation, and I'm sure that if he were to leave perth he'd be going to a bigger team than us.

:lol::thumsup2

Firstly, the chat about getting rid of Hartley, however hypothetical.  That's bonkers.  He got you promoted and established the club as a solid mid-table team. He had his two best players sold right at the start of the season and no time to shape a team with the new players. Its been an average start to the season, nothing to panic over.  I'd listen to the st Mirren fan, and be careful what you wish for.  It can always get worse.. look at your neighbours.

Secondly, if I said "I'd like us to sign Leigh Griffiths as he's a great player, but I just can't see it happening" you'd laugh.  Neither are going to happen.

I'm well aware that our start has been underwhelming to say the least, but the constant attention on the negative stats can't help.

Yes, we have 2 points from 4 home games, not won at home, only won 1 from 6 and have only kept 1 clean sheet.

However, we have only failed to score once including scoring in every home game, are unbeaten away from home and are unbeaten against all the teams who are even slightly realistically relegation rivals.

Must we improve? Yes. Will we improve? Probably. Are we doomed to relegation? Not remotely close.

As Biggie said pretty much spot on. The total lack of width in our team does my head in. Constantly trying to pass our way through the middle is pretty predictable.