All things Dundee FC

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Accounts are out.

We've made a loss of a touch more than 500k.

Nelms interview on the official confirms that FPS aren't concerned about that and as per their agreement when they took over the club they'll write it off.

They don't want to be losing money every year though and we need to move from Dens. They believe it's crumbling and they paid £200k just to keep it ticking over.

Nelms confirmed that the plot at the ice arena is where we want to build a new stadium and we've been in talks about it for over a year.

We budget as a top 6 club every season and the board accept that risk and are prepared to offset our losses if we don't make it there.

They're building a new training facility as well.

Nelms is still working on us playing a game in the US but there's a lot of 'politics' involved.

We are hosting an event for kids when we play Hamilton at home so stay tuned for that.

Nelms says he's looked all over Britain to future proof our stadium when it gets built. Doesn't give any examples but the rumour is we will be basing our stadium on Rotherham's.

Sounds all positive. Genuinely asking, is the general consensus amongst Dundee fans that they can deliver on this? I know next to nothing about the owners so have no idea.

Wow. That's worrying.

It's tremendous, they spent last week mocking Rangers fans for blindly accepting what their owners done as they led the club to oblivion, yet seem more than happy to rack up a huge debt because the owners claim they'll just pay it off.

It's tremendous, they spent last week mocking Rangers fans for blindly accepting what their owners done as they led the club to oblivion, yet seem more than happy to rack up a huge debt because the owners claim they'll just pay it off.

I'm pretty sure we were mocking Sevco because we pumped them.

Sounds all positive. Genuinely asking, is the general consensus amongst Dundee fans that they can deliver on this? I know next to nothing about the owners so have no idea.

I've not a clue - the fact they've spent £1.2 million on a piece of land for us suggests they mean business. And is polar opposite to the type of business conducted by some of the previous conmen in charge.

We can only wait and see. It's not positive on the face of it but Nelms interview covered a lot of bases.

We've also probably covered that deficit with the sales of Hemmings and Stewart.

There's not a lot we can do but Dens is quite clearly the noose around Dundee's neck long term and the board are trying to address that.

That said, I'm vehemently against moving stadium because I feel it'll rip the soul out of the club for me even if it does make logical sense.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I've not a clue - the fact they've spent £1.2 million on a piece of land for us suggests they mean business. And is polar opposite to the type of business conducted by some of the previous conmen in charge.

We can only wait and see. It's not positive on the face of it but Nelms interview covered a lot of bases.

We've also probably covered that deficit with the sales of Hemmings and Stewart.

There's not a lot we can do but Dens is quite clearly the noose around Dundee's neck long term and the board are trying to address that.

That said, I'm vehemently against moving stadium because I feel it'll rip the soul out of the club for me even if it does make logical sense.

I would hate for either club to move, purely for nostalgia reasons.

Owners are a strange bunch, you never quite know where they are going despite their attempts at claiming they have a plan. Some are good, some are bad (in our case he was good and is now bad). 

Scottish football is a difficult market to operate in partly because there is a glass ceiling (and not a very lucrative one). Clubs have to be smart in their investments and forward planning. The long term money IMO is in youth recruitment and selling on at a profit. The problem we've had with that is that we have then completely cut the funding to the development so we have nothing left to flog. 

Just now, stumigoo said:

I would hate for either club to move, purely for nostalgia reasons.

Owners are a strange bunch, you never quite know where they are going despite their attempts at claiming they have a plan. Some are good, some are bad (in our case he was good and is now bad). 

Scottish football is a difficult market to operate in partly because there is a glass ceiling (and not a very lucrative one). Clubs have to be smart in their investments and forward planning. The long term money IMO is in youth recruitment and selling on at a profit. The problem we've had with that is that we have then completely cut the funding to the development so we have nothing left to flog. 

Boredomguys dads came along aswell.

FFS.

I'm pretty sure we were mocking Sevco because we pumped them.

There was plenty of "you let your club die" and chat about how moronic they were for just lapping up false promises when financial disaster was evident, before the match.

With us finishing 8th last season, we won £150k less than forecast if we finished 6th. With the 200k lost at Dens every year and receiving probably less than forecast for Stewart that would all head toward the 500k loss, so I can see their want for moving ground, if we do move, finish 6th or above and make cash on a player now and again we could easily turn into a profit making club.

I however would only want a new ground if they paid for it through another company that was in no way associated with the club.

Hang on, I dont want a new stadium, repair this one! 

£500k debt isnt bad in the scheme of things.

I would leave Dens if a plan was put in place for a modern stadium. History shows clubs bounce around a bit. Not too many can claim to have played on the same ground since day one ( I think!).

They come over as level headed with a sensible business plan.

£500k debt isnt bad in the scheme of things.

That's not your total debt, just the loss. You had £3.1m worth of debt a couple of seasons back, and have lost over £600k since.

It's alright though, the Americans will just hand that over free of charge

They did let their club die. We didn't. What's the point here?

That your losing money, have huge debts, a financially irresponsible budget model, yet none of you actually care

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

That your losing money, have huge debts, a financially irresponsible budget model, yet none of you actually care

Losing a wee bit of money, have a managable amount of debt, and budget model that we fell two league places short of meeting the requirements of, and we do actually care.

The thing is that these guys knew they were coming into the difficult market which is Scottish football, and have gotten our club running relatively well compared to the basket case it was run as under the schysters that came before them. They have more than enough money to bankroll us as a charity case for decades, but they're intent on changing the culture around the club which takes years and plenty of effort. 

As a man who supports a club who probably makes more money from it's function suite, car park, and conference centre than it does from footballing activity, surely you can understand why moving to a new stadium is a priority in getting the finances in order and totally under control.