All things Dundee FC

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Wow!

Team gets a 7-0 scudding at home from Aberdeen and decides to respond by making a bizarre post about a United supporter who, up until now, hasn't posted on a Dundee thread for a couple of months at least.

That's pretty strange behaviour.

You still peak in though you fat b*****d.

Paul McGowan's rant seems to consist of him saying we are shite.

ETA: And that he's not sure if we have the bottle for a relegation battle.

Not seen the rant but from what you said it sounds like a fucking shambles. Imagine saying that to the media. Talk about motivation for the opposition...

Jesus Christ that's worrying that one of our own players is saying that. They better have the fight and determination to get out of it, because right now there are enough teams much worse off than we are. He said he same about players hiding in the park and being scared to take the ball when speaking to the fans after the game up at Peterhead.

Very worrying.

Nice to see our own player saying we don't have the bottle. Sure it sometimes works with a boot up the arse but we shall wait and see. 

On the o'dea situation, I think at times he has a touch of the McPake about him, in that he makes a crunching tackle to win the fans over, but one he should never have had to make if his positioning was right to start with. I do think however that he brings something to the team the vast majority of the time. Does seem to suffer a bit from blaming other players though, even if it is blatantly his fault.  

Just now, SweeperDee said:

Boys a grafter. Someone you always need in your team. Not like Toshney and Murray downing tequila as I see them doing right now.

He's been as good as a man down for most of the season, nowhere near the levels of the past two

I can't access the full article but here it is:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15197950.McGowan__We_may_be_doomed/

If anyone could give a breakdown of what he's said that'd be great.

Here's the story the other paper is running with:

918d2e6bc4aabe77bdc93e076b981fb2.jpg

cant see all the Herald article but the other is true, the team was shite. Newspaper excited at the use of the word I think, the rest of us and the players would agree though (I hope).

I can't access the full article but here it is:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15197950.McGowan__We_may_be_doomed/

If anyone could give a breakdown of what he's said that'd be great.

Here's the story the other paper is running with:

918d2e6bc4aabe77bdc93e076b981fb2.jpg

He says the teams shite, everyone's hiding when they enter the park, everyone's mentally weak and he doesn't think anyone in the squad has the guts to get you out this "dogfight"

A bizarre interview, he just utterly slaughters everyone. For all the morons in your support who'll applaud that, it's something you do in private.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He says the teams shite, everyone's hiding when they enter the park, everyone's mentally weak and he doesn't think anyone in the squad has the guts to get you out this "dogfight"

A bizarre interview, he just utterly slaughters everyone. For all the morons in your support who'll applaud that, it's something you do in private.

Like fist fights with your team mates? Some effort by your boys to be a bigger minter than us this weekend.

Edited by The Algebraist

2 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

Like fist fights with your team mates? 

Yes, theres absolutely no benefit to punching a team mate in the face during a match, and we're now two players down for a period of time due to it. Theres also no benefit to McGowan coming out and literally calling his team mates shitebags in a national newspaper. 

Heres the full thing for those who can't see it..

Paul McGowan, the Dundee midfielder, has branded the team “weak” in every aspect and fears they don’t have the guts to survive a looming relegation dogfight.

McGowan offered an astonishingly frank assessment in the wake of Friday night’s humiliating 7-0 massacre by Aberdeen in front of the TV cameras at Dens Park.

Paul Hartley’s side shamed themselves with a pitiful performance which led to hordes of Dark Blues supporters streaming out at half-time with their side already trailing 4-0 by that stage.

The Dons rubbed salt in the host’s wounds as defender Andy Considine notched a first hat-trick for Derek McInes’ visitors as Dundee suffered their heaviest defeat since losing 8-1 to Jock Stein’s Celtic in 1971.

It made for a miserable March for the Taysider’s who have endured four straight losses and are now in danger of being sucked into a scrap to stay in the Premiership.

McGowan pulled no punches afterwards and admits he doubts whether they have the bottle to cope with a fight for survival in the weeks ahead.

“Where do you start?” he said. “It’s embarrassing. We’ve embarrassed ourselves, we’ve embarrassed the club, we’ve embarrassed the fans.

“It’s indefensible. Right throughout the team, every one of us, we should all take a hard look at ourselves in the mirror because that was not acceptable. It’s probably the worst I’ve been involved in. It will hurt for a long time.

“We go to Ross County now on Tuesday and it can dent the boys’ confidence because it’s only going to get harder. We’re actually kidding ourselves on just now. The way we train – we go and try to pass the ball, everybody wants it. Then when we go to a game nobody’s there, it’s as if we’re hiding.

“From strikers, through the midfield, to defenders – every one of us, we’re weak as anything. That’s the only way I can sum it up. Right through the team we are weak. Mentally weak. When the going gets tough we’ve got nothing about us. You might think I’m being harsh but it’s a harsh reality. This is a dogfight.

“I honestly don’t know if we’ve got the guts to get out of the situation we’re in. That’s the scary thing. You can shout, you can scream as loud as you want. But at the end of the day if it’s not in there it’s not in there.”

And thinking about it , Hartley did the managerial equivalent of shiteing it in his post match comments.
If he's not prepared to step up to what he's responsible for off the pitch is it any wonder the players he's signed are doing the same on it?

14 minutes ago, dd23 said:And thinking about it , Hartley did the managerial equivalent of shiteing it in his post match comments.
If he's not prepared to step up to what he's responsible for off the pitch is it any wonder the players he's signed are doing the same on it?

Spot on dd23

In the interview McGowan talked about the way they train, passing the ball, looking for a pass etc.  Sounds like a back handed way of him trying to say Hartely's not to blame.  

Hartley realised early in the season that we simply don't have the players to be a pass and move type team that have any real threat in front of goal, despite the fact they are all players Hartley has brought in.  Either that or the players were not being trained PROPERLY to do this.

We have been a big punt up the park type team for a large part of this season, with a fair degree of success with the arrival of Haber.  

IF the training concentrated on passing and looking for a pass as seems to be the case by the way McGowan is highlighting this part of the training then why did the players resort to the big punt up the park and far more worrying than that why did Hartley not appear to do more to change that?