Debate Tonight

SuperCaleyGoBallistic

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#pleasing

cheri @baelipox 7 mins

Quite astonishing how many people have changed from a strong no vote to a strong yes vote from the #BigBigDebate

Julie Greenan @juliegreenan 10 mins

If I wasn't yes before that debate I would be voting it now. Such a poor show from Better Together campaign #BigBigDebate #YesScotland

conorstewart @conorstewart3 12 mins

#BigBigDebate seems to have done wonders for the yes campaign

Stephen Tonner @StephenTonner1 18 mins

My daughters just back from the #BigBigDebate and says George Galloway made a fool of himself.

Caitlin Docherty @caitdochertyx 20 mins

No way could I ever vote no now after #BigBigDebate today - the yes side were clearly the better side. #indyref

Mark Anderson Smith @my100goals 23 mins

Thanks to @georgegalloway my daughter has decided to vote Yes! Thanks George! #BigBigDebate #indyref

If it went as badly for the No mob as the Twitter reaction indicates then i'd imagine it will be very heavily edited. The BBC will have their minions working their fingers to the bone as I type.

I expect a twitter backlash when the edited show is broadcast. It'll be interesting to see whether that gains traction or not.

Why is George Galloway being given a spot on any Scottish debate, given he stood and failed to win a seat in the last Scottish elections in 2011? Are they going to wheel out the rest of the nutter candidates who stood? UKIP?

The producer has him in there to stir it up and throw a few insults about to keep the interest going then on site threads like this one he will be hung drawn & quartered poor man George is always good for a few controversial moments. He sells papers which will snapped up by the Noer's although the OO will be wishing he was voting Yes

eta: Either that or it's a CUNNING plan to try and influence the Sponges to vote Yes

The producer has him in there to stir it up and throw a few insults about to keep the interest going then on site threads like this one he will be hung drawn & quartered poor man George is always good for a few controversial moments. He sells papers which will snapped up by the Noer's although the OO will be wishing he was voting Yes

Right, so is "the producer" allowed to throw in Nigel Farage, or Nick Griffin, maybe get both of The Proclaimers up against Gordon Brown in a discussion of fiscal policy? There is no problem with "interest" as the registered voter total shows. The issue is entirely with the media puffing up a long discredited and disgraced English-based politician, whose last campaign north of the border was overwhelmingly rejected, as a credible debate panelist for a primetime slot.

Whether he has panned in the debate or not isn't relevant - he has done nothing to earn the oxygen of media coverage and has nothing to do with the campaign.

BBC page promoting the show makes interesting reading. One firm 'no' voter makes the following bizarre point:

"In September I will be voting "No". I hope this decision will help me get into university without having to pay tuitions so I don't have to spend the future paying off my debt.

I also think that the Better Together campaign is a lot stronger than the "Yes" campaign. They have facts and figures to back up what they expect to happen in the future."

Right does anyone remember the Salmond/Darling debate that Darling did so badly in? Did any of you watch the responses afterwards where they had 3 "young adults" and they asked them what they thought? One was a Yes voter and stayed yes, one was a no voter and stayed no, and the undecided voter said that he was already leaning to no and that because Darling had won it had convinced him that he as now a definite no voter. I am trying to find a video of it, but it was in the vox pop stuff afterwards and it doesn't seem to be on the iPlayer stuff. The thing that stood out was that he was going on about how convincing Darling was when even to the most ardent No voter Darling absolutely bombed.

Anyway, if you do remember him, have a look at the page Mr Heliums linked and scroll down to "Nathan Epemolu, 16, from Hamilton, undecided voter". That's him isn't it? Same build, same haircut, same glasses and while he isn't looking straight onto the camera he looks very similar.

Right, so is "the producer" allowed to throw in Nigel Farage, or Nick Griffin, maybe get both of The Proclaimers up against Gordon Brown in a discussion of fiscal policy? There is no problem with "interest" as the registered voter total shows. The issue is entirely with the media puffing up a long discredited and disgraced English-based politician, whose last campaign north of the border was overwhelmingly rejected, as a credible debate panelist for a primetime slot.

Whether he has panned in the debate or not isn't relevant - he has done nothing to earn the oxygen of media coverage and has nothing to do with the campaign.

The Sponges may well still see him as a voice who has an opinion worth listening to on interest point I agree up to a point but because the audience is made up of School kids some adults may be turned off watching.

The Sponges may well still see him as a voice who has an opinion worth listening to on interest point I agree up to a point but because the audience is made up of School kids some adults may be turned off watching.

He has no mandate either to speak or to be listened to.

Archived