Pink Floyd...New Album!

jimmy boo

I like their post-Waters work, but I'm slightly less enthusiastic now that Syd Barrett and Richard Wright have gone too.

Still, only the second album in my lifetime from one of my favourite bands- I'm in.

You have good taste for one seemingly so young!

I first got into them about 1977 when I first heard DSOTM and for me Meddle, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here saw them at the height of their creativity. WYWH would be in my top 3 of all time favourite albums. The Wall was a major disappointment...overblown and self indulgent with the only 2 good tracks written by Gilmour. They should maybe have called it day at that point as the rest of their output has been a bit patchy.

Having said that, I will no doubt buy this new one.........yes, actually hand over my money for an album........how quaint ;)

You have good taste for one seemingly so young!

I first got into them about 1977 when I first heard DSOTM and for me Meddle, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here saw them at the height of their creativity. WYWH would be in my top 3 of all time favourite albums. The Wall was a major disappointment...overblown and self indulgent with the only 2 good tracks written by Gilmour. They should maybe have called it day at that point as the rest of their output has been a bit patchy.

Having said that, I will no doubt buy this new one.........yes, actually hand over my money for an album........how quaint ;)

Meddle is a brilliant album. One of my favourite songs of all times is Fearless. If I was loaded, I'd have an acoustic guitar constantly tuned to open G just to play that song.

The ones you've mentioned would be my favourites too, JB, and despite no Waters I really like The Division Bell. I look forward to hearing some of The Endless River but can't help but be a little sceptical. It's strange to see them making an album, the last time they were in a recording studio I was an infant.

For Pink Floyd fans, the film "Pink Floyd- The Wall", directed by Alan Parker, is excellent.

Meddle is a brilliant album. One of my favourite songs of all times is Fearless. If I was loaded, I'd have an acoustic guitar constantly tuned to open G just to play that song.

Now that I think about it I've probably not listened to the whole album for about 25 years and usually only played Echoes.....that was a good song though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeyHPAdxuy0

The ones you've mentioned would be my favourites too, JB, and despite no Waters I really like The Division Bell. I look forward to hearing some of The Endless River but can't help but be a little sceptical. It's strange to see them making an album, the last time they were in a recording studio I was an infant.

For Pink Floyd fans, the film "Pink Floyd- The Wall", directed by Alan Parker, is excellent.

The first time I saw Live at Pompeii...I was totally blown away...maaaaaaaan.

Discovering 'real' music which wasn't on Radio 1 and TOTP was such an eye opener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_6hFrzsyd4&list=PLBD85ABCBD5335E19&index=1

Edited by jimmy boo

• 4 weeks later...

Animals, clearly the best Floyd album, closely followed by Dark Side.

Didn't like the latter Walters ego trip stuff like The Wall or Final Cut.

Agreed. Even though Waters was and no doubt still is a total w**k, the band lost all of its energy after he left. Don't think I'll be buying that one.

Still not got round to finding any if the new album . The older and grumpier I get the more I go from thinking waters is a miserable p***k to seeing his point of view.

I'm going to put it it out there that division bell is an excellent album only slightly dated by the contemporary production.

I think I listened to pink Floyd at least once a day for about 2 years before I moved in with the missus.

Animals, clearly the best Floyd album, closely followed by Dark Side.

Didn't like the latter Walters ego trip stuff like The Wall or Final Cut.

Not heard anything from Endless River but it's supposed to be based around Wright's work in the mid 90s.

I'm not keen on the production on Animals - it's a bit dry and stark for my liking - I like the polish that Alan Parsons gave Dark Side.

There is some brilliant stuff on The Wall.

I haven't heard a lot of Waters' solo stuff, but there's a great joke about Andrew Lloyd Webber on Amused to Death! :lol:

I've heard a couple of shorts snatches of music from Endless River - I think on Facebook - one of them sounded very nice.

Here are some YouTube links, in fact - hope they're ok: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=endless+river+pink+floyd

I'm not keen on the production on Animals - it's a bit dry and stark for my liking - I like the polish that Alan Parsons gave Dark Side.

There is some brilliant stuff on The Wall.

I haven't heard a lot of Waters' solo stuff, but there's a great joke about Andrew Lloyd Webber on Amused to Death! :lol:

I've heard a couple of shorts snatches of music from Endless River - I think on Facebook - one of them sounded very nice.

Here are some YouTube links, in fact - hope they're ok: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=endless+river+pink+floyd

Radio KAOS was ok I suppose, but Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking was self indulgent, depressing drivel, as was the wonderfully titled Amused to Death. I loved all of the post Barrett Floyd stuff for many years and still do. I still listen to Dark Side occasionally and Wish You Were Here, but after The Wall it's clear they just burnt right out and fucked each other up in the process. After that they all lost their spark and post Waters Floyd was just slow, tired daddy rock. Maybe a wee bit harsh, but f**k it :thumsup2

Radio KAOS was ok I suppose, but Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking was self indulgent, depressing drivel, as was the wonderfully titled Amused to Death. I loved all of the post Barrett Floyd stuff for many years and still do. I still listen to Dark Side occasionally and Wish You Were Here, but after The Wall it's clear they just burnt right out and fucked each other up in the process. After that they all lost their spark and post Waters Floyd was just slow, tired daddy rock. Maybe a wee bit harsh, but f**k it :thumsup2

The Wall is fairly bleak, to be fair.

I'm in two minds. I loved The Division Bell and thinks it stands up alongside their other best albums. How can you not listen to High Hopes and get swept along?

My downside to this album is that it's supposedly taken from The Division Bell sessions. Much like The Final Cut (ear pain) was taken from The Wall. Tracks not good enought to be on the first album.

Hope I'm wrong. Hope this is as good as The Division Bell. The guitar on Coming Back to Life was amazing.

I'm in two minds. I loved The Division Bell and thinks it stands up alongside their other best albums. How can you not listen to High Hopes and get swept along?

My downside to this album is that it's supposedly taken from The Division Bell sessions. Much like The Final Cut (ear pain) was taken from The Wall. Tracks not good enought to be on the first album.

Hope I'm wrong. Hope this is as good as The Division Bell. The guitar on Coming Back to Life was amazing.

There is no way in this world it'll be as bad as final cut...or the wall.

• 3 weeks later...