Pink Floyd...New Album!

jimmy boo

Same same but different !

Such a sucker for Floyd have every album on vinyl have seen them live , absolutely nothing comes close to a live Floyd gig you just can't imagine how big it is, no doubt will purchase this new one.

Here is a Floyd album that took me by surprise , turn up the volume and get blown away it's a cracker , still available on CD but vinyl sold out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/London-1966-1967-Pink-Floyd-VINYL/dp/B004RDTLBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415538824&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+floyd+London+1966%2F1967+vinyl

Can't wait for the new album. Bound to be perfect for long drives. In the mean time...

Got this on vinyl also , different !

In the early 90's there were remixed versions of all the popular Pink Floyd albums done by some DJ , they were not a patch on this reggae version however and were only available on CD.

Reviews have been a bit meh, I'll be buying it anyway.

Surely nobody was ever really expecting this new album to be a world-beater? It's been described as a mostly instrumental ambient album that has been built on tracks that were worked up for The Division Bell, but never made it.

To me, this album is like a bonus - if you like what The Floyd do, which is mainly emotional guitar playing over spacey music, here's a little bit more - enjoy it for what it is.

Looking forward to hearing it, but I'm not expecting it to be earth-shattering, in the way that some of their albums have been.

It was also billed as a tribute to Rick Wright - I think it'll be good. :)

Here is the first review I found on the new album.

Culled from some 20 hours of old Division Bell session outtakes edited and revised to form one long, continuous flow, The Endless River is depressingly symptomatic of the stasis that a certain kind of ponderous prog-rock had reached by the late '70s - and in this case, there's not even the engagingly sour lyrical personality of Roger Waters to spike the somnolent progress.

A mostly instrumental album featuring just one vocal amongst its 18 largely indistinguishable "tracks", The Endless River's character is epitomised by the title "On Noodle Street": it's just aimless jamming, one long thread of Dave Gilmour's guitar against Rick Wright's pastel keyboards and Nick Mason's tentative percussion, with nary a melody of any distinction alighted upon for the duration.

The title is fraudulent: like living things, rivers pass through stages as they proceed from source to sea, from the frothing cascades of youth, through the majestic flow of maturity, to the meandering ruminations of old age and eventual accession into oceanic oneness; but Pink Floyd here have jumped straight to the late stage, which may be hardly surprising for such elder statesmen of rock, but doesn't make for a narratively gripping exercise. It just trickles on and on and on, and when it's over, it's as if it never happened. It just evaporates away.

What's particularly irritating is the way the album apes previous Floyd tropes in ersatz manner, with the spoken-word intro mumblings of "Things Left Unsaid" simply reminding one that the comparable mutterings on Dark Side Of The Moon actually served a thematic purpose: here they're just window-dressing, luring fans into a desperately disappointing experience.

It would take a Barrett-load of drugs to make this sound remotely interesting, though I wouldn't advise that. But what's blindingly clear is that, without the sparking creativity of a Syd or Roger, all that's left is ghastly faux-psychedelic dinner-party muzak. Which is fine, if you're thinking of throwing a ghastly faux-psychedelic dinner-party.

...like living things, rivers pass through stages as they proceed from source to sea, from the frothing cascades of youth, through the majestic flow of maturity, to the meandering ruminations of old age and eventual accession into oceanic oneness...

What a fucking dick, think I'll ignore this student hipster and see for myself.

Culled from some 20 hours of old Division Bell session outtakes edited and revised to form one long, continuous flow, The Endless River is depressingly symptomatic of the stasis that a certain kind of ponderous prog-rock had reached by the late '70s - and in this case, there's not even the engagingly sour lyrical personality of Roger Waters to spike the somnolent progress.

A mostly instrumental album featuring just one vocal amongst its 18 largely indistinguishable "tracks", The Endless River's character is epitomised by the title "On Noodle Street": it's just aimless jamming, one long thread of Dave Gilmour's guitar against Rick Wright's pastel keyboards and Nick Mason's tentative percussion, with nary a melody of any distinction alighted upon for the duration.

The title is fraudulent: like living things, rivers pass through stages as they proceed from source to sea, from the frothing cascades of youth, through the majestic flow of maturity, to the meandering ruminations of old age and eventual accession into oceanic oneness; but Pink Floyd here have jumped straight to the late stage, which may be hardly surprising for such elder statesmen of rock, but doesn't make for a narratively gripping exercise. It just trickles on and on and on, and when it's over, it's as if it never happened. It just evaporates away.

What's particularly irritating is the way the album apes previous Floyd tropes in ersatz manner, with the spoken-word intro mumblings of "Things Left Unsaid" simply reminding one that the comparable mutterings on Dark Side Of The Moon actually served a thematic purpose: here they're just window-dressing, luring fans into a desperately disappointing experience.

It would take a Barrett-load of drugs to make this sound remotely interesting, though I wouldn't advise that. But what's blindingly clear is that, without the sparking creativity of a Syd or Roger, all that's left is ghastly faux-psychedelic dinner-party muzak. Which is fine, if you're thinking of throwing a ghastly faux-psychedelic dinner-party.

Written by someone who has never liked Pink Floyd.

Edited by paranoid android

You have good taste for one seemingly so young!

I first got into them about 1977 when I first heard DSOTM and for me Meddle, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here saw them at the height of their creativity. WYWH would be in my top 3 of all time favourite albums. The Wall was a major disappointment...overblown and self indulgent with the only 2 good tracks written by Gilmour. They should maybe have called it day at that point as the rest of their output has been a bit patchy.

Spot on. Not trolling but I don't think they've done good work since then.

I like pink Floyd plenty but I think the reviewers right,wish I'd read that before wasting my money.The endless river?the endless rehash more like.this album is last nights dinner reheated

Money??(no pun) For music?? Are you having a laugh?

I've listened once so far and it sounds quite pleasent. It echoes(no pun) WYWH which is no bad thing but can't see myself listening hundreds of times over like that classic album.

Here is the first review I found on the new album.

That looks uncannily similar to a longer review that i read. The missing bit being an absolute pile of horse shit about how most pink floyd fans think they have done nothing good since waters left.

Having said that, from what I have heard so far, pseudo-intellectualism aside, it is an annoyingly accurate review. I might have had it on in the background in my stoner days but you can tell its a series of offcuts not considered good enough the first time round.

All my worst fears have been realised. The Endless River isn’t really an album. Oh boy is it sad that this has been labelled as such and so many poor people are spending money on some sounds that resemble Pink Floyd.

I’ve spent much of the summer listening to the Frozen soundtrack. The first 10 tracks are proper songs, the remaining 20 or so are sections of music that sound a little like the songs, but are really just a few bars here and there from other bits of the film. Put The Division Bell ahead of The Endless River and that’s what you’d get as well. The proper album, then some off cut bars of music. The sad thing is you can tell what song from TDB half of these tracks come from. Even the “proper” song isn’t up to much.

So what is it, then? Not an album, certainly. 20 years ago I’d expect to find this stuff on a cassette in Europa Music in Stirling going for 50p. The only way I can describe it is “Sounds of Pink Floyd”. Say you wanted PF ambient music playing but not a proper album – say, when having people over – this is what you’d have. I imagine the Australian Pink Floyd Show will pipe this in before the start of their show, when people are finding their seats before the curtain rises.

I’m not disappointed. I was half expecting this and, honestly, it still ranks above The Final Painful Cut by Roger Waters (performed by Pink Floyd).

Edited by scottsdad

I really like The Endless River. For being DB leftovers it sounds nothing like DB imo! I love how they've tried to evoke (at least to my ears) moments from their past. It seems a fitting end to their recording career and a nice tribute to Richard Wright.

It's nice chilled instrumental rock played by Pink Floyd. I'd recommend it!

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the BritFloyd show at the Clyde Auditorium on Wednesday.They put on a decent show and went through the back catalogue.The only downside was the struggling to walk and talk weegies who are attracted to these gigs.

Went to the BritFloyd show at the Clyde Auditorium on Wednesday.They put on a decent show and went through the back catalogue.The only downside was the struggling to walk and talk weegies who are attracted to these gigs.

Saw the Australian Pink Floyd Show twice before they hit it big - at the MacRobert in Stirling, and at Falkirk Town Hall. At the MacBob, there were guys with bar towels saying McEwans and Tennants stitched in to their jeans. Bussed in from Glasgow.

• 7 years later...