If there's a No vote

FlyerTon

Don't understand this we'll get shafted by Westminster after a No vote, or that we'll be punished in some way, Why?

But the UK will be very willing to give Scotland things it wants (a currency union) after a Yes vote. It doesn't make any sense at all.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing the SNP will do in an independent Scotland is keep on the 'austerity' measures - they'll say that, since independence, they had discovered what a state the public finances are in and the cuts will continue. They'll blame the Tories though, so that keeps the former Labour voters on their side.

If you don't believe this will happen you are incredibly naive

So you admit that you think the UK Government are hiding the true state of likely iScottish finances?

And you think they're painting a rosier picture than is truly the case?

So you admit that you think the UK Government are hiding the true state of likely iScottish finances?

And you think they're painting a rosier picture than is truly the case?

Nope

I am saying the SNP know fine well the state of the public finances but they will use that excuse to impose cuts - it's the same tactic used by the coalition who siad in the early days of 'austerity' that they apparently 'discovered' how bad the finances were and that was used to justify the level of cuts they imposed.

The first thing the SNP will do in an independent Scotland is keep on the 'austerity' measures - they'll say that, since independence, they had discovered what a state the public finances are in and the cuts will continue. They'll blame the Tories though, so that keeps the former Labour voters on their side.

Exactly the thought process that decades of mindwarp from Westminister has created and helps to keep the citizens where the government wants them. The difference between you and me sparky88 is you've no belief or confidence that things can be better than they are. If the 88 is your year of birth you've a lot of angst coming.

I didn't realise we were being 'sweetened'

I thought all of the hardship in Scotland was to do with Westminster, and they were taking all our money and our opportunities but we were being sweetened all along?

Yessers confuse me sometimes

You're betraying a fundamental misunderstanding.

Full control of the levers of power in Scotland will allow a Scottish government to address the particular issues affecting Scotland. These issues are not the same as those affecting SE England. Quite understandably (and frankly, quite rightly) the UK government's focus is on the SE of England because that's where most people live and where business makes most money. That's not anybody's fault necessarily but it's to Scotland's detriment.

The situation is exacerbated by the political bent of the major UK parties but the underlying problem is more fundamental.

Nope

I am saying the SNP know fine well the state of the public finances but they will use that excuse to impose cuts - it's the same tactic used by the coalition who siad in the early days of 'austerity' that they apparently 'discovered' how bad the finances were and that was used to justify the level of cuts they imposed.

Again. Assumption that future Scottish governments will only be of the quality of the current coalition. Shame!

But the UK will be very willing to give Scotland things it wants (a currency union) after a Yes vote. It doesn't make any sense at all.

In the event of Yes vote the UK government should try to negotiate the best deal for the rest of the UK. Nobody's suggesting that there should be a currency union just because it suits Scotland but because it will suit all parties. The UK government are painting themselves into a corner in the hope that those negotiations never happen.

The tories have to be a couple of points aheaed of Labour to prevent them having a working majority. But drilling down from just a broad national number, into specific types of seats then Labour are going to pick up 5-10%+ in university town type seats from disaffected SDP type Lib Dem voters, while in other Lib Dem strongholds like the SW of England they are holding up reasonably well. These kind of seats tend to be Lib\Con marginals. So the thinking is that Labour stand to gain more from the collapse of the Libs than the tories. UKIP are also likely to cost the tories a few marginals to Labour, though is a lesser number of cases that will work the other way.

The current structure of the distribution of seats FPTP means Labour are very hard to beat and can get a majority with something pathetic like 35% or less of the national vote.

I do expect the SNP to make very significant gains in the GE 2015 to the cost of Labour.

The down side for Labour is they will come under much the same kind of attack as we are seeing against No at the minute, relentless scare stories. Though if their vote share is holding up well come Jan-March industry will be much more reluctant to pile in as one does not really want to piss off the next government.

In the event of a narrow No, I am also predicting a very animated and motivate campaign against Trident in Scotland and for another referendum.

But the global economy is the big unknown and the problems of 2007/8 are far from fixed, in fact barely papered over. Yes or No, everything could be taken out of the hands of the politicians with more global economic instability and the resultant repercussions.

In the event of Yes vote the UK government should try to negotiate the best deal for the rest of the UK. Nobody's suggesting that there should be a currency union just because it suits Scotland but because it will suit all parties. The UK government are painting themselves into a corner in the hope that those negotiations never happen.

If it's a YES vote that is exactly what the rUK government will do because they will have no other option. However embarrassing it may be for Cameron and Co they will not be able to take decisions based on resentment.

If it's a YES vote that is exactly what the rUK government will do because they will have no other option. However embarrassing it may be for Cameron and Co they will not be able to take decisions based on resentment.

What they'll do is to look after the interests of the UK and if Scotland are no longer part of that, do you think they'll care? Think it through - independent; probably isolated by that clown Salmond. Also do you think they'll allow compromise to benefit a foreign country? Think long and hard about the consequences.....

Again. Assumption that future Scottish governments will only be of the quality of the current coalition. Shame!

Just look at the evidence right now - Salmond railing against the imposition of the privatisation of the NHS (for the sake of attracting a few soft Labour voters) but the twist is - the SNP have been using private services in NHS provision too albeit on a smaller scale. He's trying to pull the wool over our eyes as well. Of course we don't have to vote for the SNP in an independent Scotland, but it shows that politicians are the same the world over. Devolution has allowed us to set our own funding priorities, safe in the knowledge that ministers don't have to make divisive tax decisions, neither wonder it is easy for Salmond to point to the SNP's record and say this is what we can do. But I think that we can only do that in devolution.

Irony is, I've voted SNP as long as I have been able to vote - in the full knowledge that I will be able to vote No on thursday.....

Nope

Was that right before they cut the top rate of tax aye?

The first thing the Government of an Independent Scotland will do is implement policies for Scotland. We are about to see a wave of interest rate raises, nothing to do with anything bar an overheating housing market in the south east of England.

Policies for Scotland from a Scottish Government or Polices for the South East of England and continuing increase of poverty if you vote no. Those are the choices. If you think otherwise you probably struggle to understand what naive means.

What they'll do is to look after the interests of the UK and if Scotland are no longer part of that, do you think they'll care? Think it through - independent; probably isolated by that clown Salmond. Also do you think they'll allow compromise to benefit a foreign country? Think long and hard about the consequences.....

and the consequences of a No vote when the Scottish Budget is slashed and the food banks grow. Only a Yes vote can sort Scotland

Just look at the evidence right now - Salmond railing against the imposition of the privatisation of the NHS (for the sake of attracting a few soft Labour voters) but the twist is - the SNP have been using private services in NHS provision too albeit on a smaller scale. He's trying to pull the wool over our eyes as well. Of course we don't have to vote for the SNP in an independent Scotland, but it shows that politicians are the same the world over. Devolution has allowed us to set our own funding priorities, safe in the knowledge that ministers don't have to make divisive tax decisions, neither wonder it is easy for Salmond to point to the SNP's record and say this is what we can do. But I think that we can only do that in devolution.

Irony is, I've voted SNP as long as I have been able to vote - in the full knowledge that I will be able to vote No on thursday.....

Devolution is still at the mercy of Westminster holding the purse strings. It's been a great step forwards but it's time to take the giant leap.

The first thing the Government of an Independent Scotland will do is implement policies for Scotland. We are about to see a wave of interest rate raises, nothing to do with anything bar an overheating housing market in the south east of England.

Policies for Scotland from a Scottish Government or Polices for the South East of England and continuing increase of poverty if you vote no. Those are the choices. If you think otherwise you probably struggle to understand what naive means.

interest rate rises as an argument against independence? Someone needs to tell salmond.... His plan has our interest rates set by the bank of England....

That's some leap you are making there by slipping poverty in as a consequence of voting no.nothing I have seen or heard has made me think poverty will be less likely in an independent Scotland, certainly not proposed corporation tax cuts. I

interest rate rises as an argument against independence? Someone needs to tell salmond.... His plan has our interest rates set by the bank of England.... That's some leap you are making there by slipping poverty in as a consequence of voting no.nothing I have seen or heard has made me think poverty will be less likely in an independent Scotland, certainly not proposed corporation tax cuts. I

This would be the same corporation tax cuts that Labour brought in twice while they were in power?

I think we will have the wealth to tackle poverty.

We have 1% of the population of the EU

We have 60% of the oil reserves of the EU

We have 25% of the fish stocks of the EU

We have 20% of the renewable energy of the EU

Do some mathematics and have some faith in your own country.

interest rate rises as an argument against independence? Someone needs to tell salmond.... His plan has our interest rates set by the bank of England.... That's some leap you are making there by slipping poverty in as a consequence of voting no.nothing I have seen or heard has made me think poverty will be less likely in an independent Scotland, certainly not proposed corporation tax cuts. I

So you think that its a good thing around 20% of the population live in poverty? What policies do the UK Gov have to halt this?

Fact is the UK Gov builds its policies around the SE of Eng. That is now happening more and more. All we are an oil cow being milked to underwrite UK DEBTS.

Certainly not Bright Spark(Y). Now run along stock up on cheap shopping after Thursday you wont be able to afford a tin of beans - the BBC tell us that it must be true.

If there was a 'no' vote, I think there would be a massive groundswell of support from the English regions (particularly northern) and Wales. I say this as there is already talk on the streets of everyone wanting a new way and more local powers.

Archived