Scotland has 80 years of oil reserves

FlyerTon

40 years in one field and 40 years in another, if all extracted at the same time, will run out at the same time.

If, as Sturgeon & Co state, oil is 'only 15%' of Scotland's GDP *AND* we're one of the wealthiest nations on the planet, then GDP figure will be high and 'only 15%' of that figure will be astronomical. How is that shortfall made up? An anti-Tory agenda is all well and good, but Cameron and Co will be likely dead by the time my children are my age. It's their future we should be voting for - what will pay their bills? A wind turbine shoved up their backsides?

I read a comment from a former oil worker who thinks Clair Ridge will produce for over 100 years.

Then there's this:

http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/1039/scottish-west-coast-untapped-oil-and-gas-reserves-worth-trillions/

"Oil and Gas People" aka "Oil and Gas Community" is one of those "one table & one chair in a spare bedroom" recruitment agencies run solely by some self-styled "entrepreneur" with a back history so dubious it's a wonder Rangers haven't offered him a seat on their board. You only have to look at his claim to be "the world’s largest oil and gas industry jobs board, and independent North Sea oil and gas industry experts" to know the wee fanny running it isn't legit.

The article claims to be an "investigation", but all of it is googled material - much of it copied from William McLaughlin's article for the Scots Independent some time ago.

You'd be better linking to that one instead.

40 years in one field and 40 years in another, if all extracted at the same time, will run out at the same time.

If, as Sturgeon & Co state, oil is 'only 15%' of Scotland's GDP *AND* we're one of the wealthiest nations on the planet, then GDP figure will be high and 'only 15%' of that figure will be astronomical. How is that shortfall made up? An anti-Tory agenda is all well and good, but Cameron and Co will be likely dead by the time my children are my age. It's their future we should be voting for - what will pay their bills? A wind turbine shoved up their backsides?

Labour's Devolution Commission stated Scotland will be the 14th riches country in the world without factoring in a single drop of oil.

You're yet another Scotland hating Scot that thinks lots of oil is a burden compared to lots and lots of oil.

Again, I'd hate to have the negative No voter's mindset.

We are all doomed...!!!! Get a grip

First heard about massive west coast reserves 30 years ago from a staunchly Unionist oil worker who was on a rig that drilled through a twenty five foot thick coal seam and found massive oil and gas reserves that could not be exploited with the technology available at the time. Said it had all been kept quiet and that was normal in that industry.

Beyond oil and gas, if tidal power from the Pentland Firth could ever be hooked up to pump storage hydro in the Great Glen, Scotland could make renewables work as well as Norway does in a way that would form the basis for the hydrogen economy if it ever gets off the ground. It would help if we had higher mountains though and people didn't have the whole fetish about barren Highland landscapes which is very much a case of manmade desolation rather than genuine wilderness.

The oil and gas doom merchants seem to think that after 40 or 50 years the pumps will suddenly run dry and take us all by surprise. However long is left the industry will know decades in advance, so just like every other oil producing nation we will have time to adapt.

Worrying about how your children or grandchildren will pay their bills in 40 years time shows a very depressing lack of confidence and belief in your country and its people.

Just looking at this map

138886_f3c70f4d747f44968bb4.jpg

the median line

_63654786_oilmap.gif

Looking at the 2 maps and then looking at a detailed map of the UK

It's obvious that UK will contest the oil fields named Stella, Harrier, Galia & Alma, as when you look at google maps Farne Islands National Nature Reserve in northubria appears closer to these oil fields than any area of Scotland.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Farne+Islands+National+Nature+Reserve/@56.151118,-1.5456556,7z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4880ae6bac6fd277:0x663facbd6b767c24

Can anyone tell me why they won't contest these areas if they are indeed closer to English land?

Detailed oil field map for a sense of perspective on those fields:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/349194/UKCS_Offshore_Infrastructure.pdf

You can look at this again in much more detail by downloading / opening the fields file in Google Earth and measuring from there. I expected Scotland to lose some of the southerly Central North Sea fields to the rUK - but nothing particularly major there really in the grand scheme of things (albeit nice to have of course). I can't access it just now but just by using the bottom of the screen as a ruler I think that Galia and Alma are south of the median line anyway (unlike Stella & Harrier). Eta: would Bell Rock make any difference to anything?

The file for download is under 'Current UKCS Data' > Hydrocarbon fields on the UKCS:

https://www.gov.uk/oil-and-gas-offshore-maps-and-gis-shapefiles

I suppose the big questions are: what controlled the definition of that median line and how official is it / would that remain post-indy? If so, anything north of it would surely have to be ours regardless of closeness to England (I.e. both Stella & Harrier).

PS. Yes, that is seriously the state of the UK government website for everything oil and gas related. It's a horrendous thing to hunt through at the best of times.

The amount of oil left has been continually downplayed for over a century. Most people fail to understand that as oil becomes more expensive, then it becomes more profitable to search for new oil and then when they do find it. There is often more of it than they expected.

At family wedding on Saturday, relative working in Oil industry is agrees with all of above and is voting yes as is an other relative who is very recently retired from Exec level post with Scottish Power. (At 52 lucky so and so!)

All negitivity around Scotland's energy production is 100% exactly that negitive scaremongering, future technology for both energy extraction and production will enable to continue as world leaders..UK Government are terrified of loosing this !

Plenty of the median line map, shows control of water that is closer to north west Irleand.

If yes won, we would accully have a smaller navy than Ireland and parts of the Atlantic teritorial waters , would be given up.

Also if Orkney, Shetland, and the Western Isles do get a refferndum they could get indipendence from Scotland and maybe form a partnership with Norway.

What happens then. The whole "It's our oil" argument backfires.

What would Salmond do if there were a push? He can't really deny them their democratic right to have a referendum. Then what? All the Holyrood politicians decend on Shetland to suck up and talk about our shared heritage.

As mentioned before, who gets this oil in the Falklands? The Falklanders? the UK? Argentina? Is it shared?

Devolution or independence does not make it ours.

"It's our oil" argument is flawed.

Plenty of the median line map, shows control of water that is closer to north west Irleand.

If yes won, we would accully have a smaller navy than Ireland and parts of the Atlantic teritorial waters , would be given up.

Also if Orkney, Shetland, and the Western Isles do get a refferndum they could get indipendence from Scotland and maybe form a partnership with Norway.

What would Salmond do if there were a push? He can't really deny them their democratic right to have a referendum. Then what? All the Holyrood politicians decend on Shetland to suck up and talk about our shared heritage.

As mentioned before, who gets this oil in the Falklands? The Falklanders? the UK? Argentina? Is it shared?

I don't care what size navy we have - it's our oil.

Their MSPs tried to petition the Scottish Government for a referendum but it failed. The commitee put it to the Scottish government where it was agreed by both parties that it wasn't the right time nor did the Scottish government agree with its basis. Incidently, the petition was open to those outside of the islands.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/GettingInvolved/Petitions/islandgroups

Archived