Scotland has 80 years of oil reserves

FlyerTon

My understanding is that under international law if Orkney or Shetland were to return to the UK they would be an enclave and they wouldn't be entitled to anything beyond 12 miles.

Apparently the same thing applies to the Channel Islands and St Pierre and Miquelon.

Plenty of the median line map, shows control of water that is closer to north west Irleand.

If yes won, we would accully have a smaller navy than Ireland and parts of the Atlantic teritorial waters , would be given up.

Also if Orkney, Shetland, and the Western Isles do get a refferndum they could get indipendence from Scotland and maybe form a partnership with Norway.

What happens then. The whole "It's our oil" argument backfires.

What would Salmond do if there were a push? He can't really deny them their democratic right to have a referendum. Then what? All the Holyrood politicians decend on Shetland to suck up and talk about our shared heritage.

As mentioned before, who gets this oil in the Falklands? The Falklanders? the UK? Argentina? Is it shared?

Devolution or independence does not make it ours.

"It's our oil" argument is flawed.

Straw clutching at its absolute finest.

Oil extracted in Falklands Islands waters belongs to the Falkland Islands.

The Foreign Office is quote, last November as saying

“Hydrocarbons activities by any company operating on the continental shelf of the Falkland Islands are regulated by legislation of the Falkland Islands Government, in strict accordance with the United Nations Convention of the Law of the Sea.

“As such these activities are wholly legitimate and legal.

“The UK government unequivocally supports the right of the Falkland Islanders to develop their natural resources for their own economic benefit.

“This right is an integral part of their right of self-determination, which is expressly contained in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Sound familiar?

I could rip much of that lengthy article to shreds all night, particularly the utter shite about the estuaries. Almost certainly stuff along the Atlantic margin though, just a question of how much.

Goes to show that a little 'knowledge' can be dangerous.

I'm seeing on Twitter reports of the biggest oil field in the world discovered off the coast of Scotland?

True? Convenient timing?

Zero chance. The biggest field in the world is Ghawar in Saudi and an absolute freak, really nothing like it anywhere else on Earth.

I'm seeing on Twitter reports of the biggest oil field in the world discovered off the coast of Scotland?

True? Convenient timing?

It's the Clair field ( not Clair ridge). A few weeks ago, Cameron visited in secrecy to the exploration rigs. Next day, all staff were sent home on full pay for 3 weeks and had to sign NDAs, Reason? It's at least double what's been discovered so far in Clair. Absolutely massive and no way was it coming out before the referendum. I have this first hand from a very senior player in the industry.

Thes also been a huge discovery in the Forties field. Directly below the original field. The owners, Apache, are apparently ecstatic as when they bought it from BP they were assured there was no prospect of anything other than what was left in the original Forties. Again, it's not public knowledge.

Shafted at every single turn.

Archived