Takeover at Somerset

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That has to rank up there with that bit in Airplane where "They're on instruments up there" and the bit in Alan Partridge where he says "Read the small print in your cone-tract".

Stadium looks brilliant..... Don`t understand why leaked to press though, if anyone is serious enough to take the club off Lachlan then everything should be done behind closed doors!

things like this just get me excited

:thumsup2

I think that's why it's been put out there Deano, it'd be a 30 quid development if it was that mob in Greenock lol.

The skeptic in me wonders how long the football development would remain a priority once planning permission for the housing was in place and ownership of that land transferred.

Surely you can make the football development a stipulation of any process.

The only thing in the back of my mind about this being leaked to the press might be the from a source inside the club. Trying to drum up some interest in the club and get a "feel good" factor over the Christmas period, been a couple of long months and they powers that be know the fans are absolutely scunnered just now.

The skeptic in me wonders how long the football development would remain a priority once planning permission for the housing was in place and ownership of that land transferred.

I'm sure some Councils have put planning conditions in place which mean the stadium has to be built before the housing development could begin. Since one of the two sites for development would be Somerset, you would want to ensure they had somewhere to play other than share the Dam Park with Whitletts.

Bit of negativity from Ayr fans here!

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but it's because we've heard it a million times before. A saviour, a new stadium etc etc next thing you know the guy never existed/had no money/ was only ever interested in building houses and no interest in Ayr.

This is miles more credible than the Restoraroof bid, that's for sure. I don't think the club would have leaked the news as that's never been Lachlan's style at all - his 'no comment' seems to back up my thoughts anyway.

Obviously the land the club controls is a major incentive for any investor, if we didn't have the Heathfield land then we wouldn't get these stories. I just hope the business model is sustainable for the football side of things and we don't end up languishing in the lower leagues with a white elephant of a stadium dragging us down. The 10,000 seats worries me a bit, we wouldn't need more than 8,000. I presume the pitch would be plastic as well so that's one revenue stream but obviously the profit will be nowhere near enough to run the club on it's own.

I'd also like to see the full plans and find out if there is any 'safe terracing' involved (as in previous plans) as this is our chance to break the mould a little bit in Scotland.

Will it ever happen? Probably not... we'll need to wait and see!

This guy has a drawing and a plan that with some detail other than....we'll get to the premier league in 2 years somehow so he's already ahead of the restora bloke in the credibility stakes.

Question 1 should be, is he a fan? if not, why Ayr?

Does anyone know anything about the guy?

I'm assuming that with the club going full-time(ish) and the youth coaching that there would be grants available for building facilities, Barrs model of funding the club through rental of retail and office space I can see this working........as long as this guy can go more than 2 weeks before the mask slips and he starts a pish talking meltdown

The 10,000 seats worries me a bit, we wouldn't need more than 8,000. I presume the pitch would be plastic as well so that's one revenue stream but obviously the profit will be nowhere near enough to run the club on it's own.

I'd also like to see the full plans and find out if there is any 'safe terracing' involved (as in previous plans) as this is our chance to break the mould a little bit in Scotland.

6000 with safe terracing would do fine

Since one of the two sites for development would be Somerset, you would want to ensure they had somewhere to play other than share the Dam Park with Whitletts.

Weren't Whitletts gonna try the community stadium route out at the 11 a side at Whitletts?

I'm sure some Councils have put planning conditions in place which mean the stadium has to be built before the housing development could begin. Since one of the two sites for development would be Somerset, you would want to ensure they had somewhere to play other than share the Dam Park with Whitletts.

But if the housing development is going to fund the football development, where does the money come from if there is a condition that the latter must come first?

As far as I can gather, this guy is not an Ayr United supporter - he is from the south side of Glasgow.

Here's his blurb from the Carduus website.

Brian Gilmour has 17 years experience in the Scottish property market with agency experience in both residential and commercial property. Prior to joining Carduus, Brian managed the Land & New Homes division of the Countrywide Group across their 40 Scottish branches. Brian is a Member of the Institute of Directors and also a Member of the Chartered Institute of Housing.

Carduus (or Gilmour himself?) obviously see an investment opportunity with the land - that's what its all about. If he gets his 320 houses built, you can imagine that is a fair few quid in revenue. I just hope he has a plan for running the football club once he has made his money!

Hard to say how these things will go: he could have his eye on the land for new property builds so buys the club to get it and runs you as a sustainable business, perhaps reinvesting some of the profits he makes from it long-term, or he could have his eye on the land for new property builds so buys the club to get it, then tosses you on the scrapheap as soon he gets what he wants from it.

Archived