Alloa v The Rangers

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not get me wrong Gordon had an excellent game but the tackle on Clark was cynical, he had been visibly struggling for a few minutes with his shoulder, everyone saw it, Gordon led with his knee from behind with one purpose and it had nothing to do with winning the ball.

It wouldn't be like Ben if it was deliberate, but in any case it wasn't a red. It was certainly a reckless challenge, which is why the ref gave him a yellow card, correctly.

Why? Clackmannanshire voted no, they'll welcome Ra Bearz with open arms.

Wheesht, you. Years from now, I'll still be having Vietnam-style flashbacks to that humiliating announcement.

Do not get me wrong Gordon had an excellent game but the tackle on Clark was cynical, he had been visibly struggling for a few minutes with his shoulder, everyone saw it, Gordon led with his knee from behind with one purpose and it had nothing to do with winning the ball.

Not Ben Gordon's way and never has been.

Disappointing that we didn't hold on for the win but ultimately it's still a point we didn't expect against a team whose resources far far outmatch ours. With the win over Hibs followed up by a draw here we have made a decent start against the bigger clubs. Hopefully we can manage to do a bit more damage against them between now and the end of the season.

How was Benedictus on his debut? Good result Alloa, pleased to see Smith doing well. Didn't think he had a hope in hell of succeeding with the teams in the league and considering he was following Hartley.

How was Benedictus on his debut? Good result Alloa, pleased to see Smith doing well. Didn't think he had a hope in hell of succeeding with the teams in the league and considering he was following Hartley.

Was solid enough wasn't troubled too much by the Rangers attack handled Boyd easily enough, Smith has been great this season getting his own ideas implemented into the team and it seems to be showing dividends in the bigger games this season.

number one wasp, on 20 Sept 2014 - 19:48, said:

Was solid enough wasn't troubled too much by the Rangers attack handled Boyd easily enough, Smith has been great this season getting his own ideas implemented into the team and it seems to be showing dividends in the bigger games this season.

Bene handles cloggers relatively well, but can easily be fooled with the tricky players. Old fashioned defender that is willing to put the boot in hard. If there's a player the home crowd don't like, he's happy to put a crunching tackle on them just to appease the fans. No left foot, no real positional sense, but good enough for this level through his commitment on the park (Although not too sure off it) so hope he does well here.

No left foot, no real positional sense

The first was certainly apparent today. He was playing left centre back and anytime a low cross came in his left footed clearance was well dodgy. There were glimpses of the second as well. Generally though he played is part in a good win and performance.

It was real chance to kill the game, tbf he did alright up against Moshni and McCulloch.

He got a small nudge from the rangers player just as he was ready to shoot. It definitely affected his body position as he went to take aim. Wasn't a pen, but was enough to affect him.

He got a small nudge from the rangers player just as he was ready to shoot. It definitely affected his body position as he went to take aim. Wasn't a pen, but was enough to affect him.

Will give him the benefit here lol. I thought we were screaming out for fast Eddie late on, just to add some freshness and pace to worry the rangers defence.

It was good to see Scott Bain back at the recs today supporting the wasps.

Would've bit your hand off for a point beforehand yet left the ground bitterly disappointed not to have won all three. Over the piece, Rangers were the luckier of the teams to have gained a point. Boyd had a couple of half chances in the first half but none were even on target. At half time I was certain Rangers would come out on top and get a goal but they resorted to doing what they were mostly doing in the first half, punting long balls forward to Boyd, and even more so after Daly had come on.

We went close with a free header from a corner, Ben Gordon's effort being cleared away by a defender for another corner. The resultant corner then seen Simmons been given an even better chance with another free header which had the keeper beat but sadly it went just over the bar. Spence's chance was a great one and would've been a killer blow to Rangers I reckon had he scored. It actually felt inevitable what was going to happen after he'd missed that. All ifs and buts now though. Reckon Alloa played the better football throughout the match but Rangers dominated possession, albeit with very little end product. Up a place in the league and it would be nice to follow this result up with a win at Dumbarton which would put daylight between ourselves and the two other part-timers even at this early stage of the season.

Quite a lot of Rangers fans around me in the Alloa end, which wasn't a surprise, but it was the proper visiting support which did surprise me. Hardly heard a peep from them the entire game. Hibernian supporters got behind their team vocally throughout the whole match, and loud! Rangers supporters today gave me the impression that they reckon they only need to turn up to these type of fixtures and they should be rewarded with some goals and the three points. If that's the case then I really don't see what's in it for them.

At the beginning of the season Alloa probably had points against the 'big 3' down as simply bonus points. I probably would've forecast 0/12 against Rangers, maybe 1/12 against Hearts and perhaps 1/12 or 3/12 against Hibernian. We've already got four points after just our first two games against them. Anything from here on really would be a bonus I reckon as they'll now know what to expect from us, however that won't stop the players from giving it a real good go I'm sure.

What a day if I'm honest. Considered not going as I thought there would be trouble and I'm glad I did. Not one bit of trouble and the closest to it was a rangers fan in the home end trying to have a go because we were singing alloa songs. Regarding the result I felt the same as I did after the Scotland very Germany game, going in expecting nothing then coming out disappointed after playing very well

Archived