Ed Miliband

Ludo*1

Isn't this where leafleting and canvassing is supposed to come into effect?

Social media is a good way of spreading ideas and opinions, but it's doubtlessly true it can also prove damaging when idiots use it as a platform to spout bile.

I'm only half serious. Fact is Yes were neve rgonna shift that demographic. They needed to be further ahead in the other groups and didn't manage it. C'est la vie.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't really stand Ed Milliband, but he's right on this one. Scotland should get the new power promised in the timescale promised, but the English question shouldn't be tagged onto it. It's Cameron trying to get it through via the back door.

IMO there needs to be devolution of powers to the English regions and not just some rushed English votes for English powers.

I'm only half serious. Fact is Yes were neve rgonna shift that demographic. They needed to be further ahead in the other groups and didn't manage it. C'est la vie.

Or another way of looking at it is that the social media crew failed in their attempt to stomp on the older generation.

Old dudes 1 - Wee Fannies 0.

Can't really stand Ed Milliband, but he's right on this one. Scotland should get the new power promised in the timescale promised, but the English question shouldn't be tagged onto it. It's Cameron trying to get it through via the back door.

IMO there needs to be devolution of powers to the English regions and not just some rushed English votes for English powers.

The English question isn't going to easy to answer. The North East rejected a regional assembly not so long ago, although I personally don't think regional assemblies are a bad idea.

I support devolution for England, whether in the form of regional assemblies or an English parliament, though my personal view is an English parliament might not be much use as it won't really be much more representative than Westminster already is. It works in Scotland/NI/Wales due to comparatively smaller populations, but might not on a large scale. Local assemblies/parliaments would counteract that (and the London assembly is a starting point), but could be perceived as some as not really being the same as Scotland etc.

Your next point is looking at council areas/cities and devolving power, although this would be cumbersome and again not really an 'equal' settlement in some regards. Then again, local government in England is already an inconsistent, baffling clusterfuck, so maybe it'll work.

The English question isn't going to easy to answer. The North East rejected a regional assembly not so long ago, although I personally don't think regional assemblies are a bad idea.

I support devolution for England, whether in the form of regional assemblies or an English parliament, though my personal view is an English parliament might not be much use as it won't really be much more representative than Westminster already is. It works in Scotland/NI/Wales due to comparatively smaller populations, but might not on a large scale. Local assemblies/parliaments would counteract that (and the London assembly is a starting point), but could be perceived as some as not really being the same as Scotland etc.

Your next point is looking at council areas/cities and devolving power, although this would be cumbersome and again not really an 'equal' settlement in some regards. Then again, local government in England is already an inconsistent, baffling clusterfuck, so maybe it'll work.

Good post. It's far too important to just tag onto the side of the Scottish powers only months before the general election. Should be seperate.

They have to get this right or it will simply be a perfect example of how WM is goosed and not fit for purpose.

When you talk about Westminster, and many others, it's usually linked to politicians. Whilst politicians come and go the Establishment that sits behind the politicians, the Civil Service and it's many tentacles, is the unsinkable ship. Yesterday was our chance. Everything else now is just spitting peas at a battleship.

As for those who didn't see this coming? Of course they did, they just chose to ignore it. Drew the curtains and hoped everyone else on the outside would make it all work. Well, it's fucked now!

Why, you are all Scots aren't you?

Depends.

I personally cant understand the notion of being Scots AND British.

55pc obviously do though and have fell for the WM lies again. Why should I accept them standing next to me and voicing their frustration if this turns out to be true ?

He's not rejecting any new powers for Scotland.

He's rejecting the English side of the equation that Cameron put forward. Bold move, and one that I theoretically agree with, but I can't see it working out for him. Cameron can just say 'accept it all or reject it all' knowing that Miliband cannot risk the Labour vote in Scotland and would have to accept the whole thing.

Is there anything you don't theoretically agree with on Labour? ecause no disrespect, but I get the impression that he could delivering elbow drops to kittens and you'd still be in agreement with it because of your loyalty to Labour.

Personally, I can understand the need to distance himself from his rivals, but it will probably be pretty much the same powers as the PM has offered plus something else minimal and the usual tedious holy trinity of soundbites like safer, family, togetherness and all that nauseating shite.

Archived