Ed Miliband

Ludo*1

I'm not ashamed to admit I burst into uncontrollable laughter just there reading this.

And then I was in fits of tears.

And then I was laughing and crying at the same time.

Regained my composure a wee bit and I don't think I've gone completely and utterly mad (well, thats debatable) but I mean... it's the timing of this that killed me. So soon after the referendum, and it's already got an air of tragic inevitability about it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael W, on 19 Sept 2014 - 15:50, said:

Miliband has quite possibly just lost Labour the election.

It'll be spun into something like, 'Labour is the party fighting for Scotland!' in an attempt to gain the gullible vote, and we have already proven we are a gullible nation.

'More powers, vote Ed, get rid of Tories! Ignore SNP' - Fights the 'good' fight on more than one front, cuts away at the SNP vote without actually taking them on.

Why did anyone ever believe the Labour party could do anything when they are not in power? Why did anyone believe Gordon Brown could do anything when he claims to not even be involved with front line politics anymore?

old people. They like Britain, just cos.

It'll be spun into something like, 'Labour is the party fighting for Scotland!' in an attempt to gain the gullible vote, and we have already proven we are a gullible nation.

'More powers, vote Ed, get rid of Tories! Ignore SNP' - Fights the 'good' fight on more than one front, cuts away at the SNP vote without actually taking them on.

That's nice, but what are they offering that the Conservatives aren't? The central belt will do its usual and give Labour their 35 seats anyway (or whatever it is).

He is also fighting an election in the rest of the UK too, and can forget about delivering what he wants to Scotland if he completely ignore England/Wales/NI. There needs to be a new settlement for all of the home nations, and Miliband appears not to be offering it.

You're right. Hopefully some unelected peers will be put in charge

They can put whoever they like in charge as long as they do what the people want. This is a watershed moment, I can't see you Scots becoming not ar*ed overnight. The regions of England want devolution too, as do the Welsh and NI, This is not going to simply disappear.

Then there is that other factor which has played a massive part in shaping the environment today...this, the internet and social media. Expect this to be trending until complete.

They can put whoever they like in charge as long as they do what the people want. This is a watershed moment, I can't see you Scots becoming not ar*ed overnight. The regions of England want devolution too, as do the Welsh and NI, This is not going to simply disappear.

Then there is that other factor which has played a massive part in shaping the environment today...this, the internet and social media. Expect this to be trending until complete.

It might be just be my mood but you underestimate the impact of a defeat like that added with the suspicion that a decent amount (thought not all) of the 'No' voters couldn't give a toss either way. The waters will muddy to the point that the 'battle' will be lost.

See at the next referendum, we should campaign to make people write Yes or No on the ballot instead of this X shit. Because if 55% of the population didn't see this coming there's no way they'll be able to fill in the paper to vote properly.

Well aye, socila media and the internet was brilliant at mobilisng the younger age groups who were as a rule, in favour of independence, only to be stomped on by the 55+ demographic who read print media and watch BBC.

Well aye, socila media and the internet was brilliant at mobilisng the younger age groups who were as a rule, in favour of independence, only to be stomped on by the 55+ demographic who read print media and watch BBC.

Isn't this where leafleting and canvassing is supposed to come into effect?

Social media is a good way of spreading ideas and opinions, but it's doubtlessly true it can also prove damaging when idiots use it as a platform to spout bile.

Archived