Scotland - country or region

paranoid android

Is Scotland a country or a region of the UK  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your nationality is British. Try selecting 'Scottish' from a drop down menu when selecting your nationality when doing anything from renting a car, buying flights and so on.

Try saying you are Scottish abroad . People know where it is and will associate it with the false cultural identity it has (kilts and shortbread) yet they will go away remembering you are from Britain. Much like if you met someone from Galicia (more autonomous than Scotland) - I bet 99% of us would describe him as Spanish, no matter how independent he felt he was.

The only reason we hae a football team is due to history.

Your nationality is British. Try selecting 'Scottish' from a drop down menu when selecting your nationality when doing anything from renting a car, buying flights and so on.

Try saying you are Scottish abroad . People know where it is and will associate it with the false cultural identity it has (kilts and shortbread) yet they will go away remembering you are from Britain. Much like if you met someone from Galicia (more autonomous than Scotland) - I bet 99% of us would describe him as Spanish, no matter how independent he felt he was.

The only reason we hae a football team is due to history.

Speaking of which, should the SFA no just get wee Gordon to take the training sessions and leave the picking o the team to Roy Hodgeson?

Really depends how you define a country but plenty of regions that have more autonomy that we do under a federal system but these places are not known as a country. The thing is democratically we have never said we wanted to be in the UK until last week so now Can call it a voluntary union from Scotland's perspective as much as I dislike that. I would like Scotland to be be an independent sovereign state which is my definition of a country so say a member of the UN, Olympic Commitee etc. Though I do think any country should really have a written constitution. To me it is like a big company that has over the years bought brands and continued to operate them seperatly but ultimately head office have final say. We are a constituent country but have less power that a federal state. We have more autonomy than England and Wales but less than Greenland or California. I think Scotland has been and still is a nation that has chosen at this time not to take on the sovereignty that would make it a country.

The answer is technically a country because Wikipedia says so, but I voted region because that's how it feels. Nationality is subjective a lot of the time, hence why a much higher percentage of Basques and Catalans will feel national pride for their "region" then we do for our "country" right now. I don't know how it's decided that these places with their devolved powers, linguistic/cultural differences and separate national identities are regions and we're a country but it appears that's the case, apart from our pishy sports teams what do we have that they don't? All I can think of is tonnes of folk who don't want independence.

The correct answer is that we're a country, and we're the only country to not trust ourselves to run a country successfully. So Scotland is basically the worlds shitiest country, hence why right now I prefer to think of it as a no-mark region.

Archived