Celtic vs Hamilton Accies - 05/10/14

So why didn't vast numbers of Celtic fans wish O'Neill to be sacked after Alex McLeish sworded him?

Remember your justifications above about :-

a) some looked at the fact we rode our luck during the 3IAR season - O'Neill didn't even manage 3IAR

b) others looked at the fact we had a chance to bury rangers but we allowed them to stop 4IAR, - see above.

The first season McLeish had won the League, O'Neill took Celtic to Seville. In much the same way how we rode our luck in our 3IAR season under Strachan, rangers rode theirs. Then O'Neill left right after McLeish had won his second title.

It's OK.

I think we know what these "factors" are.

Like I said, feel free to twist it around in any way that suits you.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit confused. You're basically admitting here that Celtic fans prefer Catholics as manager yet arguing otherwise with HB.

Not for the first time I bet.

You are either that dense or are actually having to work on it.

I never said all Celtic fans would prefer it, I said that there are some Celtic fans are of that thinking, most aren't. Like I have said, this plays no part in my original comments.

I never said "all" Celtic fans preferred it, neither has HB. He is pointing out that quite a number of your fans want a catholic manager, something you just admitted to me. Why are you arguing otherwise if that's the case? Would it not make sense that's the reason why a successful manager like Strachan was hounded out?

You can see my original point also.

Idiotic Celtic fans being that way inclined has no bearing on my original comments. No manager is bombproof, and Strachan was not hounded out.

The first season McLeish had won the League, O'Neill took Celtic to Seville.

That's right. Celtic of course being in the loser's competition because, unlike Strachan, O'Neill failed yet again to qualify from the group stages.

Then O'Neill left right after McLeish had won his second title.

Uh huh.

So what percentage of Celtic fans polled midway through O'Neill's humiliating final season would have been demanding O'Neill left at the end of that season ("whether he won the title or not"). Have a guess. 30%? More? Less?

That's right. Celtic of course being in the loser's competition because, unlike Strachan, O'Neill failed yet again to qualify from the group stages.

Uh huh.

So what percentage of Celtic fans polled midway through O'Neill's humiliating final season would have been demanding O'Neill left at the end of that season ("whether he won the title or not"). Have a guess. 30%? More? Less?

Celtic failed to qualify for the group stages that season, Basel knocked us out. I, personally, class the last 16 of the Champs League as being of more standing than the UEFA Cup final, but making the final was still pretty special, so of course there was not going to be any talk of sackings.

Like I have already said Strachan was not the most popular of people, and again I will say, it was for various factors. Unfortunately for you, the one you would love to be the main reason, well, wasn't.

We can keep going round and round over this, but the fact is, Strachan was not hounded out of Celtic Park, whether you want to except that is really up to you.

I have to apologise actually, as I got my figures wrong earlier.

29.3% of Celtic fans wanted Strachan sacked at the end of the season, even if they won the league.

4.6% wanted him sacked in November or January, regardless of results he achieved.

4.3% wanted him sacked if he lost a random league game against Rangers in December.

17.2 % wanted him sacked at the end of the season if Celtic did not win the lague (something his predecessor miraculously survived)

So in total, 51.1% of the Celtic fanbase didn't want Strachan to be the manager for the following season. (I'll kindly assume that as Celtic didn't lose to Rangers in December those 4.3% changed their minds completely :rolleyes: )

But he wasn't hounded out :wacko:

We can keep going round and round over this, but the fact is, Strachan was not hounded out of Celtic Park, whether you want to except that is really up to you.

You have yet again failed to tell me why O'Neill wasn't hounded out for either of his failures? (Along with his many CL failures)

Why exactly would more than half of the Celtic fanbase wish the removal of a manager who led the club to two last 16 CL matches, one of which saw them lose narrowly to the eventual winners?

It's okay to just say "a catholic".

With the all important caveat that an Irish Catholic earns more points than a 'foreign' Catholic.

Though a plastic 'Irish' Catholic from Scotland, claiming victimisation in Scottish society, just about counts as the jackpot.

I feel sorry for The Dazzler missing this - he got a 4-game ban for a lot less that Moshni or Boyd got up to last night.

No he didn't. He got a two-match ban for his violent conduct towards Ciftci. However, he also picked up an additional one-match ban for his red card during the game, and another one-match ban for committing a second offence in the same season.

No he didn't. He got a two-match ban for his violent conduct towards Ciftci. However, he also picked up an additional one-match ban for his red card during the game, and another one-match ban for committing a second offence in the same season.

:lol:

That's not quite right. He got a one match ban for receiving two yellows during the match and being sent off, another one match ban because it was his 2nd sending off of the season and a further two match ban for violent conduct involving a separate incident which was reported in the officials match report for apparently striking Paul Paton with an arm or elbow.

Apologies, thought the additional violent conduct charge was for an offence on Ciftci rather than Paton. Think we're both in agreement about the reason for the 4 match ban though.

1 match - red card v Dundee Utd.

2 matches - violent conduct v Dundee Utd (retrospective)

1 match - additional ban due to two offences in the same season

Archived