Cowden v Rangers

It is covered by a rule: a club can apply for a postponement (the granting or otherwise being at the SPFL Board's discretion) if 3 of the players "who would otherwise have participated" are "unavailable through international selection".

Postponement and International Selection

G7 A Club shall be entitled to apply to the Board for the postponement of any Official Match where three or more of its Players who would otherwise have participated in such match are unavailable through international selection and, following receipt of such an application, the Board may postpone and rearrange the relevant Official Match in accordance with Rule G3.

Today's papers say Cowdenbeath applied to have the match reinstated... as Rangers have no such players, except Dene Shiels on a standby list... but the SPFL have said the postponement will stand.

If the last bit is true, that's simply inexplicable.

Why on earth would moving the fixture to a less convenient time, be preferable?

Is some sort of rationale for such a decision not required?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the last bit is true, that's simply inexplicable.

e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/scottish/gossip/

The SPFL has rejected a bid by Cowdenbeath to have their postponed match against Rangers re-instated after Bilel Mohsni was ruled out of international football through injury, leaving Dean Sheils, who is on stand-by with Northern Ireland, as the Ibrox side's only possible absentee.

Why on earth would moving the fixture to a less convenient time, be preferable?

Is some sort of rationale for such a decision not required?

Well, perhaps not, and afterall it was postponed last Monday.

However, the question is then - does postponing in advance on the basis of who might be available and might travel meet the 'test' of:

three or more of its Players who would otherwise have participated in such match are unavailable through international selection

Some players become injured/suspended domestically, or overlooked internationally.

e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/scottish/gossip/

The SPFL has rejected a bid by Cowdenbeath to have their postponed match against Rangers re-instated after Bilel Mohsni was ruled out of international football through injury, leaving Dean Sheils, who is on stand-by with Northern Ireland, as the Ibrox side's only possible absentee.

Well, perhaps not, and afterall it was postponed last Monday.

However, the question is then - does postponing in advance on the basis of who might be available and might travel meet the test of:

three or more of its Players who would otherwise have participated in such match are unavailable through international selection

Well indeed. Two of these players would not "otherwise have participated". It seems simply impossible to uphold the original decision if challenged in the light of subsequent developments.

Today's papers say Cowdenbeath applied to have the match reinstated... as Rangers have no such players, except Dene Shiels on a standby list... but the SPFL have said the postponement will stand.

As the People that run the game in this country are fuckwits of the highest order I have no doubt they would say the postponement stands.

What reason does the postponement serve now? Is there any possible reason that playing the game would disadvantage Rangers because of the international?

The only problem could be the injury to Zaliukas weakening them. Thats f**k all to do with the international game. Mohsni still has to serve his suspension. Surely you'd want one of his suspended games to be against the bottom club.

Unless of course Rangers think they can't beat Cowden with both of those two out. If that is the case I'm not worried about relegation this season as Rangers must be a stick-on.

I guess if Rangers applied to have the game re-instated the fannies in charge would ask them to select which officials they would like as well.

Will Cowden please take the bull by the horns and give this RI crowd a right good and proper pumping? As a regular visitor to Central Park the last few seasons, I KNOW you can do it.

Showed us today the arse-cheeks are beatable. Good effort :)

I supect McCoist just has a "policy" of wanting the free weekends. He did the same last season. It inconveniences his own fans, and requires his players to play more games in a shorter period of time at some other point. But on the otherhand the midweek game can be to the advantage of the full-time XI when facing a part-time one, and it does mean he'll have literally every player available regardless of what happens with call-ups, injuries and suspensions.

Also they've faced a difficult few weeks. This gets him a fortnight without a game. Plus no game = no potential to lose/draw = no potential further heat.

Given that East Fife have no internationals - you could also argue that even if the SPFL wanted to make them play, they should really by playing East Fife next Sunday in the Challenge Cup SF.

I supect McCoist just has a "policy" of wanting the free weekends. He did the same last season. It inconveniences his own fans, and requires his players to play more games in a shorter period of time at some other point. But on the otherhand the midweek game can be to the advantage of the full-time XI when facing a part-time one, and it does mean he'll have literally every player available regardless of what happens with call-ups, injuries and suspensions.

Also they've faced a difficult few weeks. This gets him a fortnight without a game. Plus no game = no potential to lose/draw = no potential further heat.

I suspect you suspect right.

It's therefore scandalous that this discretionary ruling is allowed to be exploited in this way.

Even most Rangers fans who have commented, see this policy as ridiculous. It's so much more so of course, when the Internationals make no difference to Rangers at all.

McCoist leads this most tawdry of outfits in quite the most spineless of ways.

I supect McCoist just has a "policy" of wanting the free weekends. He did the same last season.

Is this so the players can get on the piss on a Friday night? Looking at their results this season they've been doing that when they have a game on the Saturday anyway.

Sevco just like to pretend they are a big team full of internationals. This just shows how totally desperate they are.

I hope when the game does go ahead they have lots of players missing because of injury.

Terrible decision originally only now compounded with the 3 players being suspended or injured.

Will more than likely cost Cowdenbeath a few quid as well.

Knowing these abhorrent c***s it will be about attempting to keep face amongst the masses by not wanting to play on International weekend. I mean, how demeaning, right? How so very embarrassing.

Which in itself is utterly hilarious as the whole country has been laughing at them for fucking years now. :lol:

From a selfish point of view, I welcome it as if we beat Alloa on Saturday we go 9 points and a million goals clear.

70 million spent on their squad in the last two years and this game gets cancelled.Playing midweek will cost us revenue in what would probably have been our biggest earning game of the season.Also with being part time most of our lads will have worked all day before the re-arranged game.Is there any other advantages left that Scottish football can hand them.I really hope Hearts just run away with the league now and i,m a lapsed Hibs fan.

70 million spent on their squad in the last two years and this game gets cancelled.Playing midweek will cost us revenue in what would probably have been our biggest earning game of the season.Also with being part time most of our lads will have worked all day before the re-arranged game.Is there any other advantages left that Scottish football can hand them.I really hope Hearts just run away with the league now and i,m a lapsed Hibs fan.

Hearts will fill CP. If they take 3000 to Queens its a cert. Sure Hibs will bring plenty as well for a 40 minute train journey. There's also enough supporters buses leave Fife every other Saturday heading to Ibrox to ensure the away allocation gets filled midweek against the shitebags.

Hearts will fill CP. If they take 3000 to Queens its a cert. Sure Hibs will bring plenty as well for a 40 minute train journey. There's also enough supporters buses leave Fife every other Saturday heading to Ibrox to ensure the away allocation gets filled midweek against the shitebags.

I know you are right,its just annoying that they still get every little advantage going.

I suppose if its a midweek rearranged fixture Cowden can sell the tv coverage to the highest bidder (or more likely Alba fir 5k) n pocket the cash if naebody clipes n tells the spfl. Right??? You ain't seen nuffink. Right???

Awa and dinna talk pish.

Archived