General Election 2015

Ludo*1

I wouldn't either. I doubt he does, but he has just over a month to convince people to vote Labour. Other than framing the debate as Labour vs the Conservatives I don't see what he can do.

We've ended up in a situation where Scottish politics has largely become Unionism vs Nationalism. This is not in Labour's interests so they need to shift the debate. It's a very tall order and he has very little time to do it in.

I think actually saying 'vote SNP get Tory' is probably slightly misguided tactically, instead he would be better just talking about the Tories and ignoring the SNP until after the election, the strategy itself is the only one available.

I don't really know what you mean by 'taking responsibility'. He needs to present Labour as being the best party, I'm not sure how subscribing to the Nat philosophy that 'Labour are dead' is going to help him win votes.

I'm not saying he should say that 'labour are dead' but making out that the SNP is nothing other than a protest vote will harden soft SNP voters IMO. They hold a majority at Holyrood, hold 6 seats at Westminster and projected to win around two thirds of the seats next month. That doesn't scream protest to me.

I agree that he probably doesn't have much wiggle room here, especially with time constraints against him. I think his best chance is to present Labour's case as positively as he can. A lot of the previously labour friendly yes voters are caught up in a tide of positively from the referendum and the SNP generally. I can't Murphy's 'protest' vote working any better than the 'vote SNP get Tories' line did as it's still quite negative and aggressive.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying he should say that 'labour are dead' but making out that the SNP is nothing other than a protest vote will harden soft SNP voters IMO. They hold a majority at Holyrood, hold 6 seats at Westminster and projected to win around two thirds of the seats next month. That doesn't scream protest to me.

I agree that he probably doesn't have much wiggle room here, especially with time constraints against him. I think his best chance is to present Labour's case as positively as he can. A lot of the previously labour friendly yes voters are caught up in a tide of positively from the referendum and the SNP generally. I can't Murphy's 'protest' vote working any better than the 'vote SNP get Tories' line did as it's still quite negative and aggressive.

Its also the case he is fundamentally lying by saying there is only one way to replace David Cameron (vote Labour). That's something he and most voters know to be untrue, ergo a lie.

Lying to the electorate and treating them like morons is what has got Labour into this mess (as well as a complete lack of policies, values or morals) but he's still doing it. They really can't help themselves.

Its also the case he is fundamentally lying by saying there is only one way to replace David Cameron (vote Labour). That's something he and most voters know to be untrue, ergo a lie.

Lying to the electorate and treating them like morons is what has got Labour into this mess (as well as a complete lack of policies, values or morals) but he's still doing it. They really can't help themselves.

He might get away with it himself, but having arseholes like Magrit & Anas really doesn't help his cause. They come across as careerist opportunists. They don't stand for anything other than themselves.

I think some people forget when the indyref was announced, Better Together was miles ahead in the polls, something silly like 75% in favour of remaining within the UK

For them to walk away with 55% is hardly a sign of great campaigning by them.

I think some people forget when the indyref was announced, Better Together was miles ahead in the polls, something silly like 75% in favour of remaining within the UK

Indeed. A sign that their negative campaign didn't work. I was completely against the idea of independence to begin with and slowly started to question why when the Better Together campaign couldn't cobble together a single positive argument in its favour. It got them over the line at the end, but it was a total shambles of a campaign.

He might get away with it himself, but having arseholes like Magrit & Anas really doesn't help his cause. They come across as careerist opportunists. They don't stand for anything other than themselves.

I saw her on was it Daily Politics last night. She really is a reptile.

They also had some complete imbecile from the 'Scottish' Tories who I couldn't believe was even allowed out on his own on too. Amazing that these sort of people are even in politics, I wouldn't trust either of them to look after my cat for a week while I went on holiday.

True but the fact is it won against a relentlessly positive campaign. The successes of positive campaigning against negative are few and far between, Obama was the exception rather than the rule. He also had the Bush factor meaning any decent Democrat candidate was basically a shoo-in.

Base emotions ie fear mainly have been targeted for decades now as its extremely effective though not good for debate or democracy.

If you ask no voters why they voted no, every single one bar raging Britnats will quote their favourite line of fear to you. Might be currency, pensions, terrorism, defence, all of them its fear. Fear very clearly won that referendum. As you say none can give a positive reason for voting no, but most did. So fear clearly won.

Part of my reasoning for taking the Friday off work was so I could see the seethe, humilation and dejection on the faces of Sarwar and Curran as the Scottish electorate boot them and their chums to political oblivion.

ComRes poll of all Labour-held seats in Scotland shows gigantic 19% swing to the SNP

There's bloggers suggesting that the poll itself has inherently UNDERESTIMATED the SNP's vote as well.

:lol:

I know I'm hardly the benchmark, but in the east end of Glasgow I haven't spoken with 1 person who says they're planning on voting Labour.

As Henry McLeish said today, places like this once upon a time, voting Labour came as naturally as breathing for people around these parts

Voting SNP is exactly what I will be doing and getting Tory is exactly the outcome I'll be hoping for.

If there is one thing more obnoxious than Scottish Labour it is British Labour. Something about that earnest sincerity that Milliband exudes doesn't half put me in mind of Tony Fucking Blair.

Anyone else being utterly bombarded by mail from Scottish Labour? Seems to be every second day that their lies and utter nonsense drop through my front door.

They're fighting a losing battle. It's SNP for me.

I've had 4 or 5 over the last couple of weeks. Each has been recycled immediately. 8)

I don't mind the SNP running the Holyrood executive, preferable to Labour idiots, but I'll be voting UKIP. 10% of Scots did so at the 2014 Euro election and most Scots agree with their common sense populist policies even though they can't tick the box. If Cameron wins I'll also be happy as I'll get a vote in an eu referendum.

I don't mind the SNP running the Holyrood executive, preferable to Labour idiots, but I'll be voting UKIP. 10% of Scots did so at the 2014 Euro election and most Scots agree with their common sense populist policies even though they can't tick the box. If Cameron wins I'll also be happy as I'll get a vote in an eu referendum.

That's nice.

f**k off Reynard

Lobotomies are gooooooooooood.

Archived