General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just getting too easy now

Jim Murphy @JimForScotland 27 mins27 minutes ago

What happens in Scotland will decide the outcome of this election. Read my article in today's @TheEveningTimes http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk/blog/entry/its-now-time-for-the-people-of-scotland-to-make-the-real-choice-jim-murphy

It's just getting too easy now

Jim Murphy ‏@JimForScotland 27 mins27 minutes ago

What happens in Scotland will decide the outcome of this election. Read my article in today's @TheEveningTimes http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk/blog/entry/its-now-time-for-the-people-of-scotland-to-make-the-real-choice-jim-murphy …

He describes it as an 'obscenity' that eighty thousand people are on zero hours contracts. Sixty-five Labour MP's employ people on zero hours contracts.

Who was in control of regulating the banks in this country?

We were affected much more than most European countries, and Labour certainly didn't lead the recovery.

The FSA, which is largely made up of third rate bankers, because if they knew how to make money. They would be doing it themselves. Thus they'll always be up against people who are smarter and more sneakier than them. I know full well when the next crisis comes along. We're going to get the rager types crying out that banks weren't regulated enough, but the real truth is the regulation already exists and is not being enforced. Due to the fact The City has a cosy relationship between them and Westminster. I can see the Labour party reforminging themselves and reforming the banking system, but not the Tories given half their donations come from people who work in The City.

Yesterday's man.

Ex MP

Ex PM

Arguably the worst PM in history

Alleged bully

Led the UK into one of the worst financial crisis in history

Forgets to switch his microphone off

Can't even get a decent partisan crowd to come and see him in Cumnock.

Has already firmly been placed in the failure category of the history books

It's always the current or previous PM who was the worst.

Scottish Labour are now totally desperate. Whatever credibility Brown had left disappeared after the 'Vow'. Their fear tactics have not shifted the polls in months but they have nothing else to offer. They are trying to fight one campaign here and a different one in England; a half way decent MSM would be highlighting this.

I can't help but feel that these tactics will lose them as more support over the next few weeks than it wins them. Not everyone is politically astute or particularly interested but the polls are showing a higher level of engagement in Scotland than elsewhere. Not every disillussioned Labour voter will switch to SNP but the Labour negativity may lead to some folk who would otherwise vote for them simply staying at home.

I honestly cannot think of any tactical change in their campaign that will have any meaningful effect on the vote. They simply have nothing to offer a disillusioned Scottish electorate.

Scottish Labour are now totally desperate. Whatever credibility Brown had left disappeared after the 'Vow'. Their fear tactics have not shifted the polls in months but they have nothing else to offer. They are trying to fight one campaign here and a different one in England; a half way decent MSM would be highlighting this.

I can't help but feel that these tactics will lose them as more support over the next few weeks than it wins them. Not everyone is politically astute or particularly interested but the polls are showing a higher level of engagement in Scotland than elsewhere. Not every disillussioned Labour voter will switch to SNP but the Labour negativity may lead to some folk who would otherwise vote for them simply staying at home.

I honestly cannot think of any tactical change in their campaign that will have any meaningful effect on the vote. They simply have nothing to offer a disillusioned Scottish electorate.

I wish they would sell policy rather than fear.

All the main parties seem to be going down the fear route so far. Is it really that effective?

First time i ve seen jim on tv and he never mentioned vote snp get tories,so maybe they are learning

I've said this for a while now. They've shot their bolt. They have nothing left in the tank.

Their whole campaign has been "Vote SNP get Tories" and "SNP bad". This hasn't worked, the polls haven't shifted and they have no idea what to do next.

The Scottish Labour twitter feed is now almost a parody of itsself. Random youtube videos, vines and desperations abounds.

They don't have any policies to offer.

But yes, many studies have shown fear is a far more effective tool than anything else in elections. The referendum would be a perfect example of that.

I son't necessarily agree with that. Yes managed to almost pull level in the polls from nowhere through positivity against the constant fear from No. Labour were miles away with 6 weeks left in the 2011 holyrood election and SNP ended up with a majority, Obama-fever in the USA... plenty of evidence out there showing that positivity can win you campaigns, and negativity can push it the other way.

First time i ve seen jim on tv and he never mentioned vote snp get tories,so maybe they are learning

“When I was elected [scottish leader] I said the polls will turn big and the polls will turn late, when people are confronted by the choice facing them. Lots of people are thinking about last year’s disagreement [on independence] rather than this year’s decision.”

He added: “There are lots of ways to protest about David Cameron, but there’s only one way to replace him.”

Nope.

I wish they would sell policy rather than fear.

All the main parties seem to be going down the fear route so far. Is it really that effective?

I would imagine it stems from 'Project Fear' working during the referendum, which as painful as it was, worked for them.. Unfortunately for the parties employing the tactics in Scotland they don't seem to realise that people now see through it.

Nah, don't agree with negative campaigning wins elections. Give people hope - or something to vote for ie the vow, they will do it.

So even though folk voted no and by that I mean the labour voters who switched back to no after the vow, they were still voting for something which they thought would be positive.

And now it's them that are punishing labour as they feel lied to.

“When I was elected [scottish leader] I said the polls will turn big and the polls will turn late, when people are confronted by the choice facing them. Lots of people are thinking about last year’s disagreement [on independence] rather than this year’s decision.”

He added: “There are lots of ways to protest about David Cameron, but there’s only one way to replace him.”

Nope.

Fucking hell - did he really say that? He STILL doesn't get it.

I would imagine it stems from 'Project Fear' working during the referendum, which as painful as it was, worked for them.. Unfortunately for the parties employing the tactics in Scotland they don't seem to realise that people now see through it.

I actually think the negative campaigning turned a lot of people against the Better Together campaign, then when the vow came into play (ie something to actually vote for) some people turned back. Granted I don't think yes were ever ahead in the campaign, but they came much closer than they should've done through positivity and Better Together's negativity. I'm yet to hear a positive argument for maintaining the union.

Labour have said they will make cuts in different areas to the Tories. It's wrong to say they back the Tories assault on the poor just because they believe cuts in some areas still need to be made.

Which areas ? They seem totally determined not to tell us. I wonder why.

During his time as chancellor he introduced the minimum wage, winter fuel allowance and child tax credits for working families. Great policies for the less well off.

Erm, that's our taxes and policies like that should be in place as a matter of course. No need for the fanboy crap.

You might want to ask about the moves that brought Broonie acclaim from the City of London and screwed the rest of us over for the remainder of our lives.

Archived