General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Probably a good move at this point. Although unlikely there was still a small part of me worried that Labour would agree to a second referendum in return for a deal.

Doubt Labour would have done so and doubt the SNP want another so quickly, but I was concerned nonetheless.

As if Labour could stop one. :lol:

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-scotland-32244214

I'm struck by this quote:

Full fiscal autonomy - which Ms Sturgeon this week said could be voted for by SNP MPs as early as next year - would see the nation, in future, having to raise enough cash to cover all its public spending.

My emphasis - Extremely misleading as the chances of FFA being voted through the parliament are non-existant

Do you think this announcement will win back any of the voters lost to the SNP?

Unless I'm being an idiot and misunderstanding something (as is possible!) over 40% of people who voted labour at the last general election now plan to vote SNP, according to yesterday's yougov survey.

Probably not. Have to applaud Labour for putting their values above chasing votes...

I'd say they've probably given up on the Nat vote to an extent for this election.

Full fiscal autonomy - which Ms Sturgeon this week said could be voted for by SNP MPs as early as next year - would see the nation, in future, having to raise enough cash to cover all its public spending.

My emphasis - Extremely misleading as the chances of FFA being voted through the parliament are non-existant

Unless the SNP name FFA as their price to put Miliband in to #10

Went to a thing last night in Newmachar where Salmond spoke.

Very enjoyable, just as engaging in the flesh.

You can tell he is just fucking loving this at the moment :D

Unless the SNP name FFA as their price to put Miliband in to #10

The implication is that Sturgeon and the SNP MPS have the power to vote it through. You know fine well there will be no deal done on FFA, it's not on the table so why is it even being discussed

I'm loving the idea that Labour are not going to compromise on ANYTHING in the event of a hung Parliament where they need SNP support. When it comes to the crunch and they want to get their bums on to the government benches then we will see just how resolute they are.

One other thing that has to be borne in mind is that if Scotland sent 40-50 (or 50+ :thumsup2 ) MPs to Westminster is Milliband just going to pretend that the voice of the Scottish people doesn't matter?

Probably not. Have to applaud Labour for putting their values above chasing votes...

I'd say they've probably given up on the Nat vote to an extent for this election.

Jim's 'I'm not a unionist, true patriot' wasn't a vote chasing mechanism?

Mon now JMO. All new labour have done since Blair became leader is chase votes. That's why they're in such a stooshie now. They make pledges to please everyone, but they're either not believed or they don't stand to scrutiny.

What about. Would see the nation receive the right powers to grow the economy and take ownership of its own resources?

Was that on the BBC?

The most telling difference on display today between Murphy and Sturgeon is that while Jim Murphy is talkiing to an organised Labour audience in Edinburgh with Miliband and Baws for hauners, Sturgeon is out chapping doors in Glasgow. Speaks volumes:

Sinéad @sineadypopsxx9m9 minutes ago

So lovely to see @NicolaSturgeon canvassing in toryglen! Sorry I was in my jammies Nicola 1f633.png1f602.png#SNP

1. @sineadypopsxx was a pleasure to talk to you. Enjoy day off

Murphy has a new tie.

Good line about FFA and SNP predictions about oil prices. Seems pretty clear the austerity they believe FFA will require is key to Scottish Labour's plans for the rest of the campaign.

Murphy got what he wanted on Wednesday, and Labour (whisper it) actually look like they have a plan.

Yep, more hopeless negativity. Good plan. That'll win back Yes voters.

not really, she clearly said SNP MPs would vote for it, and nothing about anyone else.

Jmo. Honest question.

Do you think this intervention will be good or bad for Labour in Scotland?

Honestly don't know. Probably a good thing though, whilst there is an appetite for more powers I don't think there is much for another referendum in the near future. A few years down the line that might be different, but I don't really think anyone wants a referendum any time soon.

Archived