Scotland v Republic of Ireland

Lyle Lanley

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really see the issue with the tickets on either side tbh.

On the one hand the FAI admit that their own fans are being "forced" to take tickets in the home end, but then say they are still looking for an increased allocation. Exactly how many fans do they want at the game?

On the other hand I don't understand the seeth from people about Ireland fans taking home tickets. It'll be exactly the same in the AVIVA(which Ireland can't sell out) and it's exactly the same wherever Scotland fans go. Can't remember the last away game I watched where there wasn't scotland fans in the home end (England aside, maybe).

I'll be going with my mrs who's Irish, hopefully we can make it through the day without her being abused by bigots who mask their irrational hatred for Ireland behind some daft excuse about Celtic neds. Personally, I'm looking forward to a couple of good days with Irish friends and family, a good 3-0 win, and hopefully Roy Keane getting sent to the stands.

Massive blow if Hutton misses the game - his energy and attacking thrust are hugely important to us. The likes of Whittaker (or Bardsley if he gets a call up this time) are decent enough players but they don't offer anything like as much as Hutton.

Just found this link. It seems to be that the Irish ticket allocation was given by the FAI to the sponsors, leaving the Irish fans with very little. They then tried to pass the buck onto the SFA and blame it on a lack of cooperation.

Just found this link. It seems to be that the Irish ticket allocation was given by the FAI to the sponsors, leaving the Irish fans with very little. They then tried to pass the buck onto the SFA and blame it on a lack of cooperation.

Sold half to sponsors.they don't have a loyalty system that's what's causing it all http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/31/republic-ireland-loyal-fans-denied-tickets-scotland-euro-2016-qualifier

I still think choosing Celtic park was a silly idea and Ibrox is a better location with Georgia game at Celtic making more sense. But anyway....

They couldn't hold the match in ibrox. Irish fans would be too much at risk of sectarian attack from far right British nationalists (mainly rangers fans) in the surrounding areas. They're still at risk in Glasgow generally but the risk is somewhat minimised (one hopes) by having it in the relatively Irish-friendly surrounds of Celtic Park.

They couldn't hold the match in ibrox. Irish fans would be too much at risk of sectarian attack from far right British nationalists (mainly rangers fans) in the surrounding areas. They're still at risk in Glasgow generally but the risk is somewhat minimised (one hopes) by having it in the relatively Irish-friendly surrounds of Celtic Park.

I wouldn't say Bridgeton is irish friendly tbh