Jefferies Must Go Thread

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he should be sacked. It was wrong when Dick Campbell was sacked while only a couple of points behind St Mirren in 1999, and the same would apply here.

There are certainly valid complaints this season, but some folk seem to be looking for thngs that aren't there to strengthen their case against him, an example being that ridiculous penalty situation yesterday. He was not at fault at all for the SPL relegation, it's utterly ludicrous that anyone might consider that he was. That team was just playing at a level beyond their capabilities. I also think it's nonsense for him to be blamed for the first division relegation, given the horrendous situation he was forced to work with. A situation that was not of his making whatsoever, with him having built a side that ooked quite decent in the first half of that season before the problems really started to hit. Barring the Forfar away game, the playoffs went pretty much as I expected them to, and it was pretty obvious that Alloa simply had a better team than we did at the time of those games. Last year we did as well as I could have expected in the league.

This year resuts have been OK, if not spectacular, but in truth it's been pretty boring stuff in most games. We've had one absolute nightmare against Morton and a couple of pretty bad ones against Forfar. I don't think that deserves a sacking, but I'd certainly concede that there is some merit in the argument if discussing this season alone. For me though, any arguments based on previous seasons are silly.

Obviously we are not quite on point right now. Don't think I want JJ sacked right now, although his tactics are clearly not working.

I do like the additions of Williamson & Spence into the team. I really want Millen to be left out unless we have no choice but to play him, am I being harsh? I think we have the potential to play attractive and good football but for some reason we are obsessed with playing it out to Millen. He slows everything right down and doesn't do anything useful with the ball.... he just stands there. He must have no left foot whatsoever as he won't even entertain the idea of taking a man on and getting a cross in. Doesn't help that we have to wait ages as he is on every throw in, corner and free-kick.

When the manager isn't able to get through to the players, you'd expect your leader on the pitch to tell them to get a fucking grip of the game but Geggan doesn't really look like a leader. Geggan is well off form right now, along with Millen, Stirling, Moffat, Ugwu and probably some others.

I see we are bringing up past failings again. We've been unlucky/awful before but that's irrelevant here. For JJ to be sacked we'd have to be doing really bad RIGHT NOW. We're doing alright though, we're in the mix. I predicted we'd win the league with a few stinkers along the way. I don't mind us getting them out of the way early but I'd like to at least see the football improve and the results will follow.

I have to say, Ryan Scully is way too good for this league, he'll be the one to keep JJ in his job.

Also, if JJ were to be punted I'd have to change my P&B picture. :(:o

I think it's Socks who has said previously on here and .net, we can play alot better than we have this season and I agree. We've had some terrible injuries which hasn't helped at the beginning of the season. Losing Ryan Wallace again was a big blow; Geggan struggling with niggling injuries which has made him poor; Stirling just getting up to full match sharpness now and hasn't gelled into the team completely yet; both left backs out at the one time, meaning Millen must play LB, and so on. I'm not trying to excuse the performances, or some of the results, but imo, we haven't clicked fully into gear yet and I'm not in a position to want JJ sacked.

Looking at the squads being assembled over the summer, I knew Forfar would be up there challenging. Their results and performances vs ourselves this season hasn't surprised me one bit tbh. Ayr and Morton, imo, still have competent enough squads to compete with us and, imo, these will be the top 4 teams come the end of the season and all are capable of winning on their day.

26 games to go, only one point off the top, unbeaten at home, no home league goals conceded as of yet, only 5 league goals conceded in the league overall, potential for better performances as the season goes on... I'm optimistic we're on track. We aren't guaranteed to win the title, as I've said above, there are still good sides who can and possibly will be up there come the end of the season, but I feel we are still in with a good chance of winning it and unless our form gets atrocious over the next 9/10 games or so, I don't see JJ's position as untenable.

Like I said in the first post, it's not based on one game or even this season so far.

It's just the concern that if we don't win the league we will be in the playoffs and what reason do we have to feel confident about winning them?

Every week we come up against pretty dreadful part time sides and any time we play someone organised we look terrible.

We are overspending again and if we don't get up then it's part time football.

"We are a big scalp in the division"

Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

That's not arrogance - We are a full time team - in a part time league. It's obvious that we're classed as a big scalp in the division. East End Park is also where teams are going to be playing in front of a higher attendance. I know a couple of players in our league who relish the fact of getting one over us at East end.

I'm far from being arrogant about our position.

I know. Lets spunk some money paying Jefferies off...

Unless he is put on gardening leave with John Potter and Neil McCann put in charge, with a bonus for getting us up.

--------

We've lacked any sort of creativity since about March, are relying on Buchanan and Scully to save our skins on many occasions and have an awful lot of guys out of form - the buck stops with the manager. We've had two transfer windows and only Buchanan has added much to the squad.

However, we're solidly in the playoff spots, could well be top again by Saturday night so I doubt those running the club are giving it too much thought. I would have liked a change at the end of last season to freshen things up but the board were quick to back Jefferies. Just under 3000 fans on Saturday too so whilst performances are a bit frustrating we're on target in terms of league position and attendances.

That's not arrogance - We are a full time team - in a part time league. It's obvious that we're classed as a big scalp in the division. East End Park is also where teams are going to be playing in front of a higher attendance. I know a couple of players in our league who relish the fact of getting one over us at East end.

I'm far from being arrogant about our position.

It's more likely that the "we're a big scalp!" attitude is why teams want to 'get one over on us at East End'. That and the basic premise of wanting to win a game like all players do.

Our crowds aren't massive and will hardly impress any opposition players. The fact that the support at East End is often very quiet and overly critical (or perhaps the silence lets the negative moany fuckers be heard more easily) means no one is going to be really excited by a trip to East End.

It's more likely that the "we're a big scalp!" attitude is why teams want to 'get one over on us at East End'. That and the basic premise of wanting to win a game like all players do.

Our crowds aren't massive and will hardly impress any opposition players. The fact that the support at East End is often very quiet and overly critical (or perhaps the silence lets the negative moany fuckers be heard more easily) means no one is going to be really excited by a trip to East End.

I can tell you this is not true at all. Have spoken to plenty players who enjoy playing at bigger stadiums for a change.

I can tell you this is not true at all. Have spoken to plenty players who enjoy playing at bigger stadiums for a change.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm letting my utter apathy over the place cloud my logic

Blind loyalty to Falkingham.

Let's get JJ out now and give someone else a chance to work with the biggest budget in the league by miles. No point waiting until after Christmas or after the window.

Should be sacked for this reason alone.

If Ryan Wallace wasn't injured, you'd imagine Moffat would have been dropped by now. As it were, we have Ugwu as our other option, so he's pretty safe for now.

In January, should get rid of Ugwu and sign an experienced hatchet man who can get a job done in this division. Dods might be old and slow, but he totally walked it for Forfar against, apparently, the best striker in the league. That's the difference that can win you the league, just have to look at us signing Hardie in 2011 to spank the wee team to the title. Who this man might be, I do not know, but we need someone who knows this division and what it takes to win it to take us over the line.

when Jefferies signed his current contract he said that would be it for him so he will be gone at end of season.

We were pretty much down from SPL when he came in and he would have had us challenging for Old First Division if not for the off field financial problems which led to administration and left us with effectively a youth team to fight relegation. Last year we went into play off final second leg with no out and out strikers and without Morris at the back due to injury so he had uphill struggle to win that game.

when Jefferies signed his current contract he said that would be it for him so he will be gone at end of season.

We were pretty much down from SPL when he came in and he would have had us challenging for Old First Division if not for the off field financial problems which led to administration and left us with effectively a youth team to fight relegation. Last year we went into play off final second leg with no out and out strikers and without Morris at the back due to injury so he had uphill struggle to win that game.

Most of that I'd agree with, but the last bit is too far, the performance and result in the Cowdenbeath game has to count against JJ.

Archived