Spartans v Clyde

Well done to Spartans. Didn't forsee that.

Have Clyde ever lost to non-league club?:!!

Caley beat them 3-1 in season 91-92 and sometime in the 90s Spartans beat them 3-2, both games in the "Scottish". Was at both games

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were at the previous five unbeaten games you should be aware that we were extremely fortunate in all except perhaps the Turriff game and even in that one we weren't particularly good.

Any Clyde supporter who is complacent enough to think everything will be fine and is not very concerned about BF's ability, really needs to take a reality check.

Things are very far from good right now.

I don't see how we were "fortunate" against Albion Rovers, Annan and Elgin. I'll give you East Fife. A draw was a fair result against the Rovers - McManus missed the ball from 6 yards out then Watt cleared a goalbound header off their line FFS; although not being there it sounded (and looked) as though we should've won against Annan, and we were coasting against Elgin until they scored - they didn't create a genuine chance to equalise afterwards.

There's a huge difference between being complacent, thinking everything will be fine and that Ferguson is great and simply not having the armageddon mindset which many others seem to. Today's result is not as disappointing or damaging as the off-field nonsense was; 10 games into the league season with the team in mid-table seems like a crazy time for everyone to be freaking out. My greatest worry at the moment is Ferguson's reacting to the morons in our support who prefer to hurl abuse at the players and coaching staff than support and lift the team. That and his comments in the press in which he lambasts his players.

Caley beat them 3-1 in season 91-92 and sometime in the 90s Spartans beat them 3-2, both games in the "Scottish". Was at both games

We didn't lose to Spartans. We drew 1-1 and beat them 5-0 at Broadwood in the replay. We lost 1-0 to Fraserburgh in the 1990s (1997 I think) and of course lost at Nairn a couple of years back.

Surprised that you didn't remember our loss to Nairn (a non-league club) under Duffy, which came during seasons where we were only competitive in a wooden spoon race. "Swing and a miss" on that one.

We've had an extraordinary turnover of players since even the start of this season; of our starters today, only three were at the club last season, and four of them signed for us at roughly the beginning of September. They've bedded in a bit now and this was our first loss in six games.

Should we have been looking for a significant improvement on last season given we lost our manager and two of our best players who were crucial in the system we played? Even then, there's still plenty of time for a "significant improvement" - we're less than a third of the way through the season.

Your ex manager was a dinosaur and your new one plunged his own investment into the first team. And yet you're still the laughing stock of Scottish football.

Unlucky.

Let's pull no punches here, we were absolutely dreadful and deserved nothing from the game. I genuinely think that if we were still playing right now we would be struggling to score.

McQueen's challenge. FML.

I feel ill, and nothing to do with the copious amount of ale I've invested in to try and forget about it.

We've had plenty of defeats to non-league teams. We lost to Nairn two years ago for example. Today was a poor result but cup shocks happen. It was a rubbish game and they got themselves in front before defending well.

Overall today was disappointing. The opening goal came from an awful kick-out by Martin which McIllduff and Frances didn't recover from and the latter ended up bringing down the Spartans wingers for a certain spot-kick. I thought we had half a shout of a spot-kick ourselves when their centre half chested it back to his keeper with his arm, whilst I'll need to see the foul on McManus again to see if it should've been a red. They countered well at times and Martin had to make one excellent save at his near post, whilst a couple of other near misses crept past the target.

Second half substitutions swung things in our favour and we completely dominated the first 25 minutes with Ferguson missing an absolute sitter from near the penalty spot, whilst the same player looked to have found the top corner only to be denied by an outstanding touch from the goalkeeper. If one of those goes in we probably go onto win the match. However, we then got really sloppy, started to go with the crowd's idea of launching the ball and the second goal saw Smith give up the ball before McQueen made a ridiculously stupid tackle. I thought it was a penalty but lots of others, including BBC Scotland, thought it was soft. After that nothing much really happened.

The substitutions were all pretty much spot on but the return to the three up front that hasn't particularly worked was disappointing. Despite a chronic lack of height we didn't look to utilise Smith further forward, nor did we have Daly on the bench. We don't have enough creativity, or players with a good enough touch (Watt in particular) to not utilise the longer ball when chasing a game.

One of our major problems is conceding goals after turning over possession. Two penalties conceded today, the goal against Elgin last week, loads against Rangers, up at Elgin, against Cowdenbeath. Take that and set pieces out of the equation and we're not defending that poorly. Whilst there's clear evidence that we work on attacking transitions (we break very well at times), we are abysmal in the moments after we concede possession.

On Ferguson's red card; there's no excusing what he has apparently done. However, as everyone knows, our fans are amongst the worst in Scotland in terms of the vitriol and bile that they dish out on a weekly basis. There's plenty of signs that he's adjusted his tactics and team selections as he gets to know this level of football. He took criticism for bringing in new players (from me included) but Martin, Halkett, McManus, O'Donnell, Smith can all be looked at as improvements from last season. Maybe Durie as well if compared with McGhee/Gray. On the flip side, he's given the mindless Watt regular game time and hasn't got anywhere near as much out of Scott Ferguson as we did last season. Jury's still out for me but I still think we'll end up closer to the playoffs than the bottom.

The idea that last week's result was fortunate is laughable to be honest. We've had games where we deserved more than what we got as well (East Stirling, Annan, the disgraceful red card ruining our chances against Arbroath) so it's pretty narrow-minded to only concentrate on the games where we were lucky.

Don't think I'll get any arguments now when I say we miss McCluskey though.

Good luck to Spartans and I hope you get a good draw.

Every underachieving club in Scottish football pretends that their fanbase is uniquely critical of their starting Xi - Morton have made a cottage industry out of the same claims at a higher level.

Ultimately any crap football club tries the exact same line and it inevitably fails. That doesn't excuse a tear-stained Ferguson getting involved.

We've had plenty of defeats to non-league teams. We lost to Nairn two years ago for example. Today was a poor result but cup shocks happen. It was a rubbish game and they got themselves in front before defending well.

Overall today was disappointing. The opening goal came from an awful kick-out by Martin which McIllduff and Frances didn't recover from and the latter ended up bringing down the Spartans wingers for a certain spot-kick. I thought we had half a shout of a spot-kick ourselves when their centre half chested it back to his keeper with his arm, whilst I'll need to see the foul on McManus again to see if it should've been a red. They countered well at times and Martin had to make one excellent save at his near post, whilst a couple of other near misses crept past the target.

Second half substitutions swung things in our favour and we completely dominated the first 25 minutes with Ferguson missing an absolute sitter from near the penalty spot, whilst the same player looked to have found the top corner only to be denied by an outstanding touch from the goalkeeper. If one of those goes in we probably go onto win the match. However, we then got really sloppy, started to go with the crowd's idea of launching the ball and the second goal saw Smith give up the ball before McQueen made a ridiculously stupid tackle. I thought it was a penalty but lots of others, including BBC Scotland, thought it was soft. After that nothing much really happened.

The substitutions were all pretty much spot on but the return to the three up front that hasn't particularly worked was disappointing. Despite a chronic lack of height we didn't look to utilise Smith further forward, nor did we have Daly on the bench. We don't have enough creativity, or players with a good enough touch (Watt in particular) to not utilise the longer ball when chasing a game.

One of our major problems is conceding goals after turning over possession. Two penalties conceded today, the goal against Elgin last week, loads against Rangers, up at Elgin, against Cowdenbeath. Take that and set pieces out of the equation and we're not defending that poorly. Whilst there's clear evidence that we work on attacking transitions (we break very well at times), we are abysmal in the moments after we concede possession.

On Ferguson's red card; there's no excusing what he has apparently done. However, as everyone knows, our fans are amongst the worst in Scotland in terms of the vitriol and bile that they dish out on a weekly basis. There's plenty of signs that he's adjusted his tactics and team selections as he gets to know this level of football. He took criticism for bringing in new players (from me included) but Martin, Halkett, McManus, O'Donnell, Smith can all be looked at as improvements from last season. Maybe Durie as well if compared with McGhee/Gray. On the flip side, he's given the mindless Watt regular game time and hasn't got anywhere near as much out of Scott Ferguson as we did last season. Jury's still out for me but I still think we'll end up closer to the playoffs than the bottom.

The idea that last week's result was fortunate is laughable to be honest. We've had games where we deserved more than what we got as well (East Stirling, Annan, the disgraceful red card ruining our chances against Arbroath) so it's pretty narrow-minded to only concentrate on the games where we were lucky.

Don't think I'll get any arguments now when I say we miss McCluskey though.

Itching that's an excellent summary of today, to be be honest. I don t think their centre half hand ball was a hand ball, tbh, and I was pretty close to it.

Every underachieving club in Scottish football pretends that their fanbase is uniquely critical of their starting Xi - Morton have made a cottage industry out of the same claims at a higher level.

Ultimately any crap football club tries the exact same line and it inevitably fails. That doesn't excuse a tear-stained Ferguson getting involved.

Why not go and discuss how shite your own team are, you utter VL.

And before I get the old seething response, of course I'm seething. We were utter shite.

Why not go and discuss how shite your own team are, you utter VL.

Erm I already did, champ. Though compared to the utter dross you support it's clearly offensive to discuss that, given that we're in a higher league with the best (terrible) manager you've had in years, and yet we still get to point and laugh at your clueless outfit.

Truly pleasing.

It must be pretty galling for you that you are always slagging Clyde off for being so terrible and Morton took Duffy off us to be the manager.

I agree with vikingTON, we are a laughing stock. Usually I would be furious at getting knocked out the cup by a team like Spartans but its at the stage that when the 2 goals came through on the vidiprinter I just laughed.

I don't see how we were "fortunate" against Albion Rovers, Annan and Elgin. I'll give you East Fife. A draw was a fair result against the Rovers - McManus missed the ball from 6 yards out then Watt cleared a goalbound header off their line FFS; although not being there it sounded (and looked) as though we should've won against Annan, and we were coasting against Elgin until they scored - they didn't create a genuine chance to equalise afterwards.

To be clear, when I say we've been fortunate I mean in the sense that we have taken points from games where we've not played well and against teams which have also played poorly or without a full complement. East Fife was daylight robbery.

I haven't seen a game this season in which we've played cohesively good football and looked like a team comfortable with whatever system BF is trying to get them to play to. I don't really think they know what's expected of them.

I was standing close to the dug out today and was not at all impressed with what I saw or heard and I had moved away before it all kicked off so I don't know how bad it got.

If you guys are happy with how things are going, fair enough, it's your prerogative.

I'm not and will not be braving the cold winter afternoons to watch what is currently on offer.

I hope somewhere down the line I have to eat some humble pie in respect of Ferguson but I doubt it.

Unbelievable it's the fans fault for Fergusons behaviour morons? One of the guys involved couldn't be any more further from a moron

Bad results happen ????

But good to see the Clyde flat earth society is alive well

Archived