Clyde FC -- Debt Free

Would Anyone else agree a groundshare with say Airdrie(10min walk fae station with shops.pubs and bookies etc ie life on way) or Thistle (Same as airdrie) for a reduced rent fee than broadwood,Keep our name and I wud sure both clubs would bite your hand off for extra income.....

Could be a lot of holes in my suggestion (with the fairly obvious one being being we would never make money from our homes games like Broadwood) but WE have to keep it CLYDE FC!!!!

I still think we could make a go of Broadwood I suggested that we take over the away stand develop it into our stand catering corporate if possible got the usual response of we are not considering it ???? agree we have to keep the name that can be done through a vote to reverse the previous one

Not convinced the rent would be much lower with ground share

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont want to split hairs, but a lot is being made on the OS of 'ten long years' and the fallout from 2004....the process we have just concluded had nothing directly to do with that. Until we got relegated, everyone was happy to plod on as we were....wrongly of course but it still happened. The structure was put in place in 2010, a year after begging an entire squad to leave for free (and deserve credit for doing so...ffs Robbie Fowler and Kanu are still getting paid out from Leeds and Pompey from the same time) and yes its been long and arduous, but prior to that we had a period of three successive top 5 Div One finishes, a national Cup final appearance and of course the Celtic game....stretching the truth to say the hard days began then, even if we were aware of how limited the resources were.

Obviously good news, but the current situation with the ground obscures any light at the end of the tunnel. DavidW makes a decent enough point, after going down the CVA route in 2005, in hindsight that should have been the catalyst for the strategy of the club to aim, fairly realistically, at being the top part-time club in the country, instead of running along clearly unmanageable lines. We didn't half get lucky. A fair few of the young players in Roberts' team wouldn't have had that many better offers (per £££) so we wouldn't have necessarily just ended up with the usual.cloggers you get at Alloa, Stranraer or Cowdenbeath, but what we'd give for some of them now. I dont imagine anything will change for the forseeable future, and i dont believe i'm alone in that as no-ones started a game thread on a Friday morning.

It's been a good many years since we had a team of mainly cloggers. Hopefully we never go back to that, but I am sure we will someday.

You need to move back to your rightful home if you are ever to improve (unless some sugar daddy comes along).

This is good news. Feels like a potential new start. Let's make the most of it and start again in Cumbernauld. We've got a high profile manager who's keen to help, let's use him. Also, a few years ago I suggested to the club that we try and get volunteers together to go out and leaflet Cumbernauld, including the town centre, to advertise the games, a bit like what political parties do. This idea was never followed through on, but maybe sumfin like it might work now. C'mon, let's try again with Cumbernauld and let's really make the 'dream begin' again.

A couple of good ideas in there, but after 20 years and EK still the board's vision, getting support from locals in Cumbernauld is too late.

Other incentives like discounts on admission or a deal with free programme/pie or whatever should also be considered, but people will naturally turn up if and when the team do well. That isn't happening at present but only a quarter of the season has passed...

Cumbernauld is too late.

people will naturally turn up if and when the team do well.

It would appear that's not necessarily the case. We'll see...

No. Its not related to that. Nobody who supported Clyde did so expecting constant league titles & cups in the cabinet, though we are traditionally far better than what's now on offer. But debt clearance was factored in by most. What wasn't was one individual's vision of what would be an acceptable future

Remove the "what's the point?" Factor, a future everyone can buy into, then you'll find seats filling

No. Its not related to that. Nobody who supported Clyde did so expecting constant league titles & cups in the cabinet, though we are traditionally far better than what's now on offer. But debt clearance was factored in by most. What wasn't was one individual's vision of what would be an acceptable future

Remove the "what's the point?" Factor, a future everyone can buy into, then you'll find seats filling

Great post ????

Yip - I do agree that there's a risk that we've burnt too many bridges in Cumbernauld, especially with thr EK stuff. But if we do commit to the town, well let's get out more. For example, there are plenty of gala days across Cumbernauld over the summer. We should have stalls at these giving out discounts and offers, club pens etc, and if BF came along then you'd get a crowd gathering. As folk are saying, dump the EK stuff, unite the support, and let's have our new start where we are. Onwards and upwards, starting tomorrow.

The slide in numbers arguably began during the season in Div Two where we basically had no intention whatsoever of competing. Even towards the end the previous year, the figures were relatively decent, as BC points out no one is here dmanding leagues and cups, and relegations are par for the course (longest serving club ever in the second teir since reconstruction iirc) but the choosing and committing not to at least steadying the ship in the second killed it for a large number of supporters. This seemed to happen at roughly the same time NLL's patience snapped, threatened to boot us oot etc hence the situation we have with EK and lack of movement, as im sure things would have been a lot different if this black hole of absent supporters didnt exist, and therefore giving everything up to EKCT on the first date probably wouldn't have seen the light of day.

Would Anyone else agree a groundshare with say Airdrie(10min walk fae station with shops.pubs and bookies etc ie life on way) or Thistle (Same as airdrie) for a reduced rent fee than broadwood,Keep our name and I wud sure both clubs would bite your hand off for extra income.....

Could be a lot of holes in my suggestion (with the fairly obvious one being being we would never make money from our homes games like Broadwood) but WE have to keep it CLYDE FC!!!!

Absolutely

I appreciate the enthusiasm StevieB but there is absolutely no chance of us getting back into bed with NLL over Broadwood, not due to lack of trust or even the broken down relations, but for the simple reason we no longer offer anything worthwhile to them. Were we even one league above i'd say it could be 50/50, as there would still be relatively decent home gates generated against Dunfermline, Morton and Airdrie....and a fair chance of being able to go up again. When we struggled to stay up in 98 we were a midge's pube away from being booted out over how the rent would be generated from the crap attendances likely in the Third......warning enough that if we're not going to make this worthwhile, then we should beat it. I for one agree. We went to Broadwood under Smith's 'I'll make the big five the big six with Clyde' mantra and other than providing national exposure for the first six months, then eight successful years in the First after the first five shite years, we have failed to deliver our part as a club. Re groundsharing....i sincerely hope the same skwad which didn't bother their arse replying to Rutherglen officials over Southcroft have yet to speak to any other football club over such matters. Remember McBeth had Johnny Clark working out of the wummin's bogs at Firhill.....i'd rather we sounded out Queens about Lesser than move to another large ground which we'd pay to just lie 14/15ths empty.

Cumbernauld has gone because of EK and the problems with NLL. It would be great to get a location, build a support base and unite Clyde supporters from all over the west of Scotland and beyond, but how likely is that just now?

The current manager has been in charge since the first week in June and to date he's visited one local school. Is that a club trying to embrace the community and encourage them along to support the team? I'm not with the "what's the point" folks, but as much as the majority of fans don't want to move to EK there needs to be more active work from the board to look at plan B & C if it isn't going to happen.

Earlier question, what does Clyde offer NLL. That would be a different question 5 years ago to what it is now, mainly due to how NLL have developed the use of the stadium and their own revenue streams from it. When NLC switched the running of the stadium to their in house department whose aim is to "promote health & fitness in North Lanarkshire" it was a significant move.

Today, NLL have the gymnasium, developed use of the home stand in terms of office space and of course the Cumbernauld Colts' use of the overall facility for which they pay 3 times the "rent" Clyde do. The Colts fit very well with NLL's mandate. Not that the Colts are particularly overjoyed with what they're paying but that's......

So as of now, NLL are far more content with the situation at Broadwood. At the same time, nothing in their plans involve the away stand or stand behind the goal, & theyre generating nothing from them. They're of a mind to generate as much revenue from the overall facility as possible, or even cut costs.

When it comes to Clyde, "in theory" the club sit well. They are a potential extra source of 5 figure annual revenue and their being there hasnt interfered with the other activities in any way. The problems have been twofold in terms of their view of Clyde. First, a club who owed them a large sum of money & had an M.O. of not paying their bills. That's now changed, ultimately with the final payment of historic debt. Of course, one individual's rash statement that the club must leave - without an alternative in place - has caused significant damage to the club's profile in the local community.

But organizations are made up of people. People come & go. The SFA licence requirement has meant that various plans are being looked at. Broadwood's one of them.

Earlier question, what does Clyde offer NLL. That would be a different question 5 years ago to what it is now, mainly due to how NLL have developed the use of the stadium and their own revenue streams from it. When NLC switched the running of the stadium to their in house department whose aim is to "promote health & fitness in North Lanarkshire" it was a significant move.

Today, NLL have the gymnasium, developed use of the home stand in terms of office space and of course the Cumbernauld Colts' use of the overall facility for which they pay 3 times the "rent" Clyde do. The Colts fit very well with NLL's mandate. Not that the Colts are particularly overjoyed with what they're paying but that's......

So as of now, NLL are far more content with the situation at Broadwood. At the same time, nothing in their plans involve the away stand or stand behind the goal, & theyre generating nothing from them. They're of a mind to generate as much revenue from the overall facility as possible, or even cut costs.

When it comes to Clyde, "in theory" the club sit well. They are a potential extra source of 5 figure annual revenue and their being there hasnt interfered with the other activities in any way. The problems have been twofold in terms of their view of Clyde. First, a club who owed them a large sum of money & had an M.O. of not paying their bills. That's now changed, ultimately with the final payment of historic debt. Of course, one individual's rash statement that the club must leave - without an alternative in place - has caused significant damage to the club's profile in the local community.

But organizations are made up of people. People come & go. The SFA licence requirement has meant that various plans are being looked at. Broadwood's one of them. [/quote

Good post!!

But organizations are made up of people. People come & go. The SFA licence requirement has meant that various plans are being looked at. Broadwood's one of them.

Nods Head but will the club or Person(s) argue we cant make any money from our home games whilst playing at Broadwood??!..

Ive said all along i dont agree with name change even though i reculantly voted FOR it though suppose the clubs view is stayin in the 3rd or lower half o 2nd under Clyde Fc(Fine by me) or progressing through leagues as EK Clyde with more revenue and better players & thats not guarnteed someone should remind em..

Here the Dream to a very Bad dream if u ask me and maybe if our stay away fans would come back BEFORE the EK thing came out or after it and i include Yes voters perhaps club may reconsider but as so called supporters were not helpin much either but cant be arsed going into another 48page thread before anyone gets on there high horse...

Last but not least, If EK Clyde does happen, I wont go and sincerely hope our famous name continues even as a Junior Team like Clydebank if we have any supporters (left) willing to start us back up like Gordon Robertson who played for the Bankies Supporters team and who was heavily involved in keeping his clubs name alive

Nods Head but will the club or Person(s) argue we cant make any money from our home games whilst playing at Broadwood??!..

Ive said all along i dont agree with name change even though i reculantly voted FOR it though suppose the clubs view is stayin in the 3rd or lower half o 2nd under Clyde Fc(Fine by me) or progressing through leagues as EK Clyde with more revenue and better players & thats not guarnteed someone should remind em..

Here the Dream to a very Bad dream if u ask me and maybe if our stay away fans would come back BEFORE the EK thing came out or after it and i include Yes voters perhaps club may reconsider but as so called supporters were not helpin much either but cant be arsed going into another 48page thread before anyone gets on there high horse...

Last but not least, If EK Clyde does happen, I wont go and sincerely hope our famous name continues even as a Junior Team like Clydebank if we have any supporters (left) willing to start us back up like Gordon Robertson who played for the Bankies Supporters team and who was heavily involved in keeping his clubs name alive

I am sure now that the name change won't go through I was against it from day one you don't sell your heritage I think at the time of the vote fans were frightened into voting yes by doom and gloom prophecy from the chairman no need for who voted what time now for all Clyde FC fans to get behind the club pull in the same direction and get behind Barry Ferguson

Clyde fc now and forever

The name change is now off the table it would appear...

http://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2014/10/26/4763/#.VE1nBsm5J5d

"In the circumstances, a natural consequence is that the board will set aside the authority given by the club's owners to amend the name of the club. The authority was specifically granted on a successfully negotiated arrangement on a relocation to the Langlands site and any alternative proposal will be presented to owners separately."

Archived