Clyde FC -- Debt Free

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do and as a result have a lot of the facilities in the main stand, training pitches etc. Understandably so. But there's not been any conflict there, meaning in terms of Clyde playing their matches and Colts playing theirs. So the two can co-exist

The Colts have barely any use of the stands' seating, certainly not the two away from the main stand on match days. NLL have looked to increase the overall use of the stadium, again understandably so. There's an obvious solution & I fail to see what the problem would be. But as you say, maybe others have more specifics

The only obvious problem I can see is the fact that there is only one pitch. I don't have a clue how often the Colts use it but there is probably room for conflict if we have midweek fixtures/replays. And we would still need training facilities elsewhere. Parking has the potential to be a big problem on big match days now that it has been further reduced..

But, all in all, I have always reckoned that we are best with the devil we know if the Board have the gumption to negotiate hard and can get over the "promised land" fixation.

Depressing reading this.

I'll just carry on turning up to games where a Clyde team is playing, and support them, and leave all the deep thinking, ulterior motives, personal abuse etc to others.

I think we'd all love to be able to return to the good old days when all we had to worry about was how the team would perform and not have the slightest concern as to how long we would have a team to support and what it might be called next year!

The name change is now off the table it would appear...

http://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2014/10/26/4763/#.VE1nBsm5J5d

"In the circumstances, a natural consequence is that the board will set aside the authority given by the club's owners to amend the name of the club. The authority was specifically granted on a successfully negotiated arrangement on a relocation to the Langlands site and any alternative proposal will be presented to owners separately."

Still doesn't sound too promising. it sounds like they will just negotiate with some other party.

They do and as a result have a lot of the facilities in the main stand, training pitches etc. Understandably so. But there's not been any conflict there, meaning in terms of Clyde playing their matches and Colts playing theirs. So the two can co-exist

The Colts have barely any use of the stands' seating, certainly not the two away from the main stand on match days. NLL have looked to increase the overall use of the stadium, again understandably so. There's an obvious solution & I fail to see what the problem would be. But as you say, maybe others have more specifics

biggest problem is that it isnt east kilbride ;)

Perhaps our own history can help with some of your points

1 - Part with you on this. There's not many teams in rude health. It's the difference between the current standard with no longer term plan, and understanding where we are but a feasible strategy that fans can buy into and help the club. This is only Scottish football. The first 4 years at Broadwood were wasted and represented a steady decline where we just missed out on relegation. A change of strategy changed that around relatively quickly (pre throwing money at SPL ambitions). Im not saying it has to be like for like, but the standard in Scotland makes it "easier"

2 & 3 are part linked. Would agree & think it is at least a little likelier now that NLL have a stadium with much wider use in line with their M.O. dealing with a club who have paid their debts and are paying what's due on time. If Clyde were to leave, only part of that stadium would be of any real "use" to NLL. Point 3, If strings are attached, the past 18 months has shown what will happen.

4 The current new town is probably still the best option. If any club can show they've learned their lessons it's Clyde. New generations of potential support are born every year. The mistake the club made in 94 having been invited there by the old CDA was thinking the town owed them something. They forgot it was 1994, not 1894. Football's a hard sell everywhere, but the key factors for development have nothing to do with a name, and everything to do with hands on involvement.

5 Sharing at Firhill nearly killed them. Aside from it being Thistle's, when we went there there was no other plan on the horizon. When we went to Douglas Park, we knew we were going to Broadwood. If a groundshare is being considered, it will depend if that's allied to a positive future plan all the fans can buy into

They're working to a deadline. Let's see what they come up with

Sorry if this is going over old ground, If Cumbernauld is a no go, you don't want EK (no one should have to play there), Glencairn don't want to help and Lesser only puts money back into QP hands. Why not think outside the box.

There is a ground on the southside of Glasgow not too far from your old home that could be adapted to suit.

Has no one thought about Cathkin Park? The old nostalgic in me would love to see games there and with a historic club such as Clyde why not?

I was doing a bit of research before our cup game and found this thread. Have a look at the Spartans stand. 2 of these on one side of Cathkin and you already have a 1000 capacity. And the rest of the ground could be developed cheaper than building from new.

As the land is owned by Glasgow council they should be willing to help a bit rather than lose the team to EK.

Just thinking out loud!!!!!!

Sorry if this is going over old ground, If Cumbernauld is a no go, you don't want EK (no one should have to play there), Glencairn don't want to help and Lesser only puts money back into QP hands. Why not think outside the box.

There is a ground on the southside of Glasgow not too far from your old home that could be adapted to suit.

Has no one thought about Cathkin Park? The old nostalgic in me would love to see games there and with a historic club such as Clyde why not?

I was doing a bit of research before our cup game and found this thread. Have a look at the Spartans stand. 2 of these on one side of Cathkin and you already have a 1000 capacity. And the rest of the ground could be developed cheaper than building from new.

As the land is owned by Glasgow council they should be willing to help a bit rather than lose the team to EK.

Just thinking out loud!!!!!!

I suppose with any council owned land there would be various considerations taken into account whether the land would be even up for sale. Things like current level & purpose of use, if there are specific restrictions on how the land can be used, the views of those living nearby, access for parking and the road infrastructure

With Cathkin Park I don't think it's used much, but it may be over the past 40 - 50 years that piece of ground is now viewed as a small public park for the locals' benefit. Given the proximity of the housing there and the level of traffic already on Cathcart Road & Prospecthill Road compared to when there was a stadium, it could be a problem

The irony is with our original stadium, and all the redevelopment that's happening in the area over the next 10 years, at some point it will likely be available. All of the terracing is now condemned under H&S. Although it's privately owned, where H&S is an issue the local council can insist on that part of the proprty being attended to if it's deemed a risk to the public in any way, including the spread of vermin. That's true of any private property

Once the whole area is redeveloped, it's unlikely the stadium will be allowed to stand there looking the way it is at the moment. The present owner may have gone by then, and whoever inherits it will be left with something they'll look to sell AS SOON AS. Although most of the land has been earmarked for development, most of it isn't sold yet. Theyre hoping the police move into the new glass building that's near completion as they think that will be an attraction for business to move nearby for extra security reasons. The stadium is on a green field site, and can only be used for leisure related activity. Once the various organizations including the councils involved have made their money selling the land, you can see where this will go further down the line. The entire development is to be a mix of business & leisure.

Why not look to a full time groundshare with cumbernauld united? They are obviously open to it as they are helping out kirkintilloch just now who have no home. Facilities of 7 and 5 aside astro pitches, club/pub for functions. Good pitch and stand. Scope for a stand to be built on the roadside end for as many fans clyde require. Parking not a problem with red ash park added to the available parking there. Stay in cumbernauld this way and build on the existing fan base in the town. Circa 900+ from previous comments.

Why not look to a full time groundshare with cumbernauld united? They are obviously open to it as they are helping out kirkintilloch just now who have no home. Facilities of 7 and 5 aside astro pitches, club/pub for functions. Good pitch and stand. Scope for a seated stand to be built on the roadside end for as many fans clyde require. Parking not a problem with red ash park added to the available parking there. Stay in cumbernauld this way and build on the existing fan base in the town. Circa 900+ from previous comments.

Why not look to a full time groundshare with cumbernauld united? They are obviously open to it as they are helping out kirkintilloch just now who have no home. Facilities of 7 and 5 aside astro pitches, club/pub for functions. Good pitch and stand. Scope for a seated stand to be built on the roadside end for as many fans clyde require. Parking not a problem with red ash park added to the available parking there. Stay in cumbernauld this way and build on the existing fan base in the town. Circa 900+ from previous comments.

Would be nice but unsure if we can groundshare with a junior side.

What is the minimum required entry criteria for SFL. Add what is required to the ground, I'm sure this could be deducted from rent over a period. Surely a win win for both clubs. Pitch is still grass too. I think this is a better option than broadwood, ek or rutherglen.

What is the minimum required entry criteria for SFL. Add what is required to the ground, I'm sure this could be deducted from rent over a period. Surely a win win for both clubs. Pitch is still grass too. I think this is a better option than broadwood, ek or rutherglen.

It's the membership status I'm referring to in regards to ground share - both have to be senior clubs. Sure I read that a while ago.

I agree the CU option is something I'm sure Clyde have to look at.

I recall an auld acquaintance of mine having a relative involved in the upkeep of Cathkin Park, back around the time we were about to up sticks to Rugby Park if we gor promoted. The word was that its only purpose was as a youth team venue, with little or no prospect of ever being restored to any sort of glory. A decent enough suggestion from an obviously interested observer, but whatever value the land has, and whatever level of f**k the locals would undoubtedly kick up about yet another distraction wouldn't be worth GCC entertaining us whatsoever. In a pipe dream, the old terracing could be restored probably easier than Shawfield, the basic shell is still clearly visible, and in a well-populated area clearly isn't that hazardous to the public on H&S grounds, and with an addition of a 1000-1500 capacity stand at the Holyrood side then a 5-6,000 ground wouldn't be entirely impossible if anyone desired it much.

That's how I remember it as well - the Senior club must have "first dibs". Also with CU - do they have floodlights as that will surely be part of SFA licensing too?

How does that work at Broadwood then?

As I understand it, the Colts have first dibs.

How does that work at Broadwood then?

As I understand it, the Colts have first dibs.

I'd assume the difference there is the Colts are a boys' club, though have ambitions one day to be a Junior club if they can afford it. But the use of the pitch itself hasn't conflicted, there's not been a case where Clyde have had to postpone a match due to the Colts needing use of it.

Whereas with Juniors, that would be a similar situation to sharing with a senior side for scheduling.

Archived