Clyde FC -- Debt Free

I recall an auld acquaintance of mine having a relative involved in the upkeep of Cathkin Park, back around the time we were about to up sticks to Rugby Park if we gor promoted. The word was that its only purpose was as a youth team venue, with little or no prospect of ever being restored to any sort of glory. A decent enough suggestion from an obviously interested observer, but whatever value the land has, and whatever level of f**k the locals would undoubtedly kick up about yet another distraction wouldn't be worth GCC entertaining us whatsoever. In a pipe dream, the old terracing could be restored probably easier than Shawfield, the basic shell is still clearly visible, and in a well-populated area clearly isn't that hazardous to the public on H&S grounds, and with an addition of a 1000-1500 capacity stand at the Holyrood side then a 5-6,000 ground wouldn't be entirely impossible if anyone desired it much.

True, but you get the feeling there'd be all sorts of red tape with that one, first & foremost from the local residents. They'd likely need to be consulted first to see if it'd even be worthwhile putting any kind of plan together

Timing is the problem for Shawfield. The amount of money various organizations are throwing at that overall regeneration, including SLC & GCC, just to prepare the land, they could buy several stadiums with the loose change. Course Clyde need to sort something out sharpish, though that may be a stop gap.

A guess-timate is in around 10 years from now, most if not all of that regeneration in Rutherglen & Brigton will be complete, a mix of business and leisure. That's when the attention will be switched to the stadium. There's no way they'll allow that as it looks now to remain there as the "showpiece" in their shiny new development. The present incumbent Fagin tribute act was made two offers last year and knocked it back because he's deluded. They'll deal with him, if he's still around, once theyve got the rest of it in place. But as I say, probably too late for Clyde....probably....

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, but you get the feeling there'd be all sorts of red tape with that one, first & foremost from the local residents. They'd likely need to be consulted first to see if it'd even be worthwhile putting any kind of plan together

Timing is the problem for Shawfield. The amount of money various organizations are throwing at that overall regeneration, including SLC & GCC, just to prepare the land, they could buy several stadiums with the loose change. Course Clyde need to sort something out sharpish, though that may be a stop gap.

A guess-timate is in around 10 years from now, most if not all of that regeneration in Rutherglen & Brigton will be complete, a mix of business and leisure. That's when the attention will be switched to the stadium. There's no way they'll allow that as it looks now to remain there as the "showpiece" in their shiny new development. The present incumbent Fagin tribute act was made two offers last year and knocked it back because he's deluded. They'll deal with him, if he's still around, once theyve got the rest of it in place. But as I say, probably too late for Clyde....probably....

If I read that correctly are you saying

1. That an offer was on the table fort he Clyde FC Board to discuss Shawfield as a possible location and

2. Our Board refused those offers

3. Unless I missed it, no communication to the ownership was made of an alternative having been considered and rejected, nor the reasons why

Am I correct?

If I read that correctly are you saying

1. That an offer was on the table fort he Clyde FC Board to discuss Shawfield as a possible location and

2. Our Board refused those offers

3. Unless I missed it, no communication to the ownership was made of an alternative having been considered and rejected, nor the reasons why

Am I correct?

No SLW, as BRFC says, there was a consortium interested in buying it and redeveloping as a new stadium. The local council knew about it. Latterly Clyde did, but of course it was subject to the two other parties agreeing a deal before Clyde's noted interest could come into play. On that basis to be fair there was nothing advanced enough to put forward as the offers were rejected

The more general point I was making was that at some point in the future, with all the development that's happening in the surrounding area as you're probably aware, that eyesore of which well over 50% is condemned by H&S won't be allowed to stay that way. No chance. Understandably but unfortunately, It's just not a priority right now. But who knows in the future

You imagine you inherited that SLW? First thing you'd do is sell it - thanks a bundle !

There's a public meeting being held soon that might help you get some info. Stage 2 of what is officially called the Shawfield National Business District (SNBD) has just been approved and is preparing for tender. Stage 1 was Infrastructure.

http://www.clydegateway.com/pages/news_clyde_gateway.php

Original planning brief had the stadium down as 'leisure and retail development'. Better no tell that big lad from Sports Direct...

There's a public meeting being held soon that might help you get some info. Stage 2 of what is officially called the Shawfield National Business District (SNBD) has just been approved and is preparing for tender. Stage 1 was Infrastructure.

http://www.clydegateway.com/pages/news_clyde_gateway.php

Original planning brief had the stadium down as 'leisure and retail development'. Better no tell that big lad from Sports Direct...

That's right. A year ago they werent 100% sure if the polis were going to move in, but now they've confirmed, they expect to start being able to sell a lot of the land on the basis businesses will find having them as neighbours as an extra security factor. They're looking to generate a knock on effect to accelerate it.

You look at the artist's impression of how the area will look, and the overall idea of it being a new hub for business / leisure use, and anyone seriously thinks that stadium will be allowed to stay like that? Absolutely no chance. "Fagin" thought the new motorway would originally bring him extra through the gates - that's not worked. He now thinks once all these businesses come in, they'll all go to the dugs on a Friday night. Bear in mind this was the same guy who thought he could sell the stadium to housing.....on a green field protected site :lol:

Just a question of time. Probably a bit too far in the future for Clyde though

How does that work at Broadwood then?

As I understand it, the Colts have first dibs.

I have no idea, but it is not a ground share per se, as the Colts are neither a senior or Junior club. perhaps Clyde have as part of the agreement a "first dibs" arrangement during the league season. The devil is probably in the detail of the rental agreement otherwise the SFA would have stepped in by now shirley?

Can I ask a question here,I know it may sound silly but why where Clyde fc put/pushed/kicked out of shawfield?

Clyde originally owned it. In the late 1920's there wasnt automatic promotion & relegation, and Clyde were stuck in the second tier, not getting the games against Celtic & Rangers etc. Greyhound racing was really popular at the time.

So to try & cash in on it, the then chairman wanted to host racing, but the football authorities blocked clubs hosting animal sports. To get round this, the chairman, at least one other director and other independent individuals set up the GRA & hired Shawfield from Clyde. So the GRA hosted the races, not Clyde

After a few years, they then decide that the ground needs done up to host the level of crowds coming in for the racing. The GRA could afford it. So Clyde sold (more likely changed the paperwork) to the GRA and then paid a nominal rent if any, bearing in mind at that time they were basically the same people. New art deco stadium built in 1936 and Clyde given a 50 year lease. As a result Clyde's overheads are far smaller and in the short term thrive.

Of course that's fine providing you've people with a foot in each camp. But inevitably over time that wasnt the case so they were two completely different organizations. In the lead up to '86, the then owner King decides to review options. Clyde claim to have a "gentleman's agreement" to renew, but you dont take chances with something like that. Heard that Frank Doonan was involved also to some extent. They were interested selling to make as much as possible on housing but that was blocked as the land can't be used for that

So they decide to invite the speedway there - a sport renowned for moving venues after relatively short periods of time - thinking that would be a moneyspinner. So they had to cut a 2nd track meaning the pitch wasnt wide enough to play on. Sure enough the speedway lasted around 10 years or so, and now King's sat there with most of the ground condemned by H&S, no substantial secondary source of income, and crowds of around 100 if he's lucky on a Friday & Saturday

What a collection of geniuses they all were :lol:

Clyde originally owned it. In the late 1920's there wasnt automatic promotion & relegation, and Clyde were stuck in the second tier, not getting the games against Celtic & Rangers etc. Greyhound racing was really popular at the time.

So to try & cash in on it, the then chairman wanted to host racing, but the football authorities blocked clubs hosting animal sports. To get round this, the chairman, at least one other director and other independent individuals set up the GRA & hired Shawfield from Clyde. So the GRA hosted the races, not Clyde

After a few years, they then decide that the ground needs done up to host the level of crowds coming in for the racing. The GRA could afford it. So Clyde sold (more likely changed the paperwork) to the GRA and then paid a nominal rent if any, bearing in mind at that time they were basically the same people. New art deco stadium built in 1936 and Clyde given a 50 year lease. As a result Clyde's overheads are far smaller and in the short term thrive.

Of course that's fine providing you've people with a foot in each camp. But inevitably over time that wasnt the case so they were two completely different organizations. In the lead up to '86, the then owner King decides to review options. Clyde claim to have a "gentleman's agreement" to renew, but you dont take chances with something like that. Heard that Frank Doonan was involved also to some extent. They were interested selling to make as much as possible on housing but that was blocked as the land can't be used for that

So they decide to invite the speedway there - a sport renowned for moving venues after relatively short periods of time - thinking that would be a moneyspinner. So they had to cut a 2nd track meaning the pitch wasnt wide enough to play on. Sure enough the speedway lasted around 10 years or so, and now King's sat there with most of the ground condemned by H&S, no substantial secondary source of income, and crowds of around 100 if he's lucky on a Friday & Saturday

The first bit is nonsense, automatic promotion and relegation was in place from 1921 , when the sfl realised they had to get the central league clubs back into the set-up since they realised it was becoming a genuine competitior rather than a breif fling that would result in the rebel clubs giving up with their tale between their legs. Also clyde spent the late 20s in division 1, so thats nonsense too.

The first bit is nonsense, automatic promotion and relegation was in place from 1921 , when the sfl realised they had to get the central league clubs back into the set-up since they realised it was becoming a genuine competitior rather than a breif fling that would result in the rebel clubs giving up with their tale between their legs. Also clyde spent the late 20s in division 1, so thats nonsense too.

Actually, you're quite correct on that specific point

Which makes matters even worse in terms of their reasoning

So they decide to invite the speedway there - a sport renowned for moving venues after relatively short periods of time - thinking that would be a moneyspinner.

Nice wee piece there BC.

Indeed it was. Glasgow Tigers had two spells at Shawfield apparently. Slept around quite a bit by the looks of it.

Venues:

White City Stadium (Glasgow): 1929-1930, 1939, 1945, 1946-1954, 1956, 1964-1968

Hampden Park (Glasgow): 1969-1972

Cliftonhill Stadium (Coatbridge): 1973-1977

Blantyre Sports Stadium (Blantyre): 1977-1981

Craighead Park (Blantyre): 1982-1986

Derwent Park (Workington): 1987

Shawfield Stadium (Glasgow): 1988-1995, 1997-1998

Ashfield Stadium (Glasgow): 1999-Present

Nice wee piece there BC.

Indeed it was. Glasgow Tigers had two spells at Shawfield apparently. Slept around quite a bit by the looks of it.

Venues:

White City Stadium (Glasgow): 1929-1930, 1939, 1945, 1946-1954, 1956, 1964-1968

Hampden Park (Glasgow): 1969-1972

Cliftonhill Stadium (Coatbridge): 1973-1977

Blantyre Sports Stadium (Blantyre): 1977-1981

Craighead Park (Blantyre): 1982-1986

Derwent Park (Workington): 1987

Shawfield Stadium (Glasgow): 1988-1995, 1997-1998

Ashfield Stadium (Glasgow): 1999-Present

The tarts! Thats been some time theyve been based out of Ashfield right enough. I dont even know what their crowds are like. I think initially there was a novelty value at Shawfield and seemed to do quite well but faded away

Cheers mate that is well fucked up. Does shawfield still make money out of the greyhound racing at the moment?

Sorry HP. It used to be on Thursday, Friday & Saturdays, but its just Friday & Saturday now.

One of the groundsman said last year that it's only really maybe from late spring into summer they get any kind of crowd. Generally they get what looks around 100 people or so. Aside from the betting they'll make a bit of money from the bar, presumably advertising on the exterior of the building, they try to advertise function suites but I doubt they get much pick up from that

He's doing enough to stay in business, but it must be pretty tight margins unless there's something else going on. He's let the stadium get into a very sorry state. The old stand is OK and he's finally cleaned up the entrance at the drive way. Think it's fair to say he didn't think things through

Sorry HP. It used to be on Thursday, Friday & Saturdays, but its just Friday & Saturday now.

One of the groundsman said last year that it's only really maybe from late spring into summer they get any kind of crowd. Generally they get what looks around 100 people or so. Aside from the betting they'll make a bit of money from the bar, presumably advertising on the exterior of the building, they try to advertise function suites but I doubt they get much pick up from that

He's doing enough to stay in business, but it must be pretty tight margins unless there's something else going on. He's let the stadium get into a very sorry state. The old stand is OK and he's finally cleaned up the entrance at the drive way. Think it's fair to say he didn't think things through

This brings me to my point,could Clyde not offer to rent the stadium out which would bring the owner some cash and clyde back too their spiritual home?

I know the stadium would need readjusted of some sort ,but I'm sure it can be done some way or another.

Or is that to simplistic?

Tigers folding in read in ET other night. Good riddance and hopefully every William King bookmaker gets raided by men in balas fae now and every night onwards & weve got a full house.....

If there was a King voodoo doll it'd look like Pinheid out Hellraiser

Archived