Where do we go from here?

Ashley will keep Rangers from going bust. He has a vested interest. And his investment is incredibly cheap in the big picture of what he will get. I believe he will make Rangers a lean operation and it's really a nothing investment to get the club up to compete with Celtic. But, gone are the days of big splurges on marquee signings in the deranged dream of European success. Enjoy being a European diddy team.

champions league diddy team mibbe, he does not have to invest much to make rangers european regulars though who should be able to qualify for champions league albeit anything past the group stage being a major success. However it would not take much of an investment to make rangers a half decent strong europa league team .

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashley will keep Rangers from going bust. He has a vested interest. And his investment is incredibly cheap in the big picture of what he will get. I believe he will make Rangers a lean operation and it's really a nothing investment to get the club up to compete with Celtic. But, gone are the days of big splurges on marquee signings in the deranged dream of European success. Enjoy being a European diddy team.

I have seen Rangers become the first British team to play in the Champions League group stages..seen them get within the width of a post of a Champions League final and seen them in a major European final but for all that in my lifetime Rangers have always been a European diddy team. It is just what we are and always will be unless a Sheikh Mansour kinda guy takes a brain storm and decides to throw a few hundred million our way.

I don't think any Rangers supporter dreams of Champions League glory anymore and hasn't for a few years. The group stage crowds back that up. We cant even allow ourselves to think that far ahead anyway...Rangers need a complete overhaul from top to bottom and we need to get it right and start challenging on the domestic front

champions league diddy team mibbe, he does not have to invest much to make rangers european regulars though who should be able to qualify for champions league albeit anything past the group stage being a major success. However it would not take much of an investment to make rangers a half decent strong europa league team .

I am not sure FB. Look at the team of 2008. We punched well above our weight that season but we had a half decent team and a fantastic manager. When all is said and done Zenit were the best team in that competition that season and deserved to win it..We were very fortunate to reach Manchester

Not sure "fortunate" is a fair word to use. At least Walter Smith deserves a lot more credit than that. Think the players do as well. Think there comes a point where that many wins to get to a final stops being "fortunate" and becomes deserved. Certainly I thought the likes of Fiorentina and Werder Bremen deserved to be papped out for being totally inept.

EDIT: Becomes deserves? Jesus.

I take it Wallace and Nash will not be allowed to reveal the truth behind what has happened in the last few weeks?

Not if they want their nice wee bonuses. Was it not Wallace that was up recently saying he was entitled to 600k or something? This £2mill is going to have to cover a hell of a lot of things.

I am guessing the next loan to pay them off will be against the training ground and stadium.

I'm willing to give Ashley the benefit of the doubt.

I have mates who are Newcastle fans. Not one has a good word about him.

He has a long history of using the same MO for his businesses. Its a squeeze operation. Donnay, Dunlop\Slazenger, Karrimor. He extracts the maximum value out of a brand for the minimum investment. Taking brands and pushing them so downmarket they end up below Asda and Tesco own brand. He does not seek a "high quality" path to grow revenue.

Mike Ashley is very good at making money for Mike Ashley.

I am not sure FB. Look at the team of 2008. We punched well above our weight that season but we had a half decent team and a fantastic manager. When all is said and done Zenit were the best team in that competition that season and deserved to win it..We were very fortunate to reach Manchester

completely agree no.8 , however by strong europa league team I dont mean winning it or making the final again but regularly being in the competition post christmas wether it be through the europa grouo stages or falling out the champions league group stages and giving a decent account of ourselves through the last 32.,16 etc. although of course this is a few years down the line once we have got ourselve going on a domestic front however long that may take.

Not sure "fortunate" is a fair word to use. At least Walter Smith deserves a lot more credit than that. Think the players do as well. Think there comes a point where that many wins to get to a final stops being "fortunate" and becomes deserved. Certainly I thought the likes of Fiorentina and Werder Bremen deserved to be papped out for being totally inept.

EDIT: Becomes deserves? Jesus.

We carried a bit of luck along the way. Winning a penalty shootout away in Florence being an example...Was it Vieri(sp) that blazed to ball over the bar? We hung on with 10 men when Cousin was red carded.

Of course Smith deserves a helluva lot of credit. He got Rangers to European final with a collection of players that should have been nowhere near that stage of the tournament. It wasn't pretty at times but the style of play suited our team.

I would have preferred Dave King was in control of Rangers... but I'm willing to give Mike Ashley the benefit of the doubt.

What, really? Of the multitude of shady characters who have invested in Rangers, Ashley is the most high profile and transparent.

Is he even pretending otherwise?

Also, Dave King is quite clearly an extremely dodgy b*****d, as evidenced by his stunts in the summer, which of course, the gullibles lapped up in their droves.

What gave it away, the fraud conviction?

It's astonishing he's perceived to be the least bad person involved. I'm sure it's been done to death, but the inability to mobilise any kind of concerted supporter movement to challenge such charlatans is a pretty damning indictment of Rangers fans.

Chip in, buy the club.

completely agree no.8 , however by strong europa league team I dont mean winning it or making the final again but regularly being in the competition post christmas wether it be through the europa grouo stages or falling out the champions league group stages and giving a decent account of ourselves through the last 32.,16 etc. although of course this is a few years down the line once we have got ourselve going on a domestic front however long that may take.

I don't think it would take much of an investment to be challenging at the top of the Premier league next season. I look at our starting XI and think a right back..Central defender(keep McGregor) and we wont be far away. That is of course taking for granted we have a new ambitious manager

Ashley is the most high profile and transparent.

If Ashley was "transparent", why does he rarely speak to journalists and why hasn't he outlined his plans for Rangers? It would probably go a long way to getting Rangers fans to back him, yet he say's nothing.

Rangers fans are right to be sceptical of anyone getting involved with Rangers. In fact, it would be strange if fans weren't sceptical given what has happened to the club.

Should never have been closed. The BRALT is a total no go area.

Agreed.

I have never, nor will I ever make a post in that thread.

So I'm glad this thread was re-opened.

Plus, what's the point in having a "Rangers in the Championship" section if all Rangers matters have to be discussed in just one thread?

At the end of this season Newcastle will have gone 60 years without a domestic trophy. Yet the fans still turn out in their droves and buy shirts in their thousands. I don't see Rangers going that long without a trophy. If Ashley plays it right Rangers could be at the top of Scottish Football for a pittance of the investment that buys Newcastle mid table safety.

If he gets rid of McCoist he'd probably find a fair few fans siding with him.

One thing i'd like to know, if all the profits are for Ashley then whats in it for the other 'investors' like Laxey who backed him?

Archived