Where do we go from here?

In comparison to Hearts teams of recent years they are a very poor team. You are playing in this league for a reason and it is not all down to the points deduction. Hibs and Hearts were the two worst teams in the top flight last season.

Player for player Hearts should be nowhere near this Rangers team but we are trailing by a fair distance. McCoist has to take the blame for that and for the money spent on the playing squad we should be winning this league by a distance.

I am aware of why we are in this league. What team of recent years are you comparing us to? Other than maybe the team we had under Jeffries I would class as recent, we've been top 6 at best over that period (even under Sergio we finished fifth and that was 'recently' our highest finish since). I'm also not sure how we would be expected to get to what you would class as a 'good team' so quickly when this was, and still is a season of rebuilding.

Yeah, we've been rough around the edges in most of the games we've played (Falkirk in the first half and Raith away are the only times I'd argue we've been flawless), but no danger would I class us as dreadful, nor that poor a team in comparison to ourselves of recent years.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am slightly puzzled at why anyone would think Mike Ashley wouldn't invest in Rangers. Surely, if he wants to make anything out of the club, he has to keep it going. Ashleys main job is selling shirts, a successful Rangers obviously sells more than a poor Rangers. Unfortunately, I think the good times are a whole lot nearer under Ashley than they have been at any time in the past two years. They're certainly a whole lot nearer than they would have been under King.

I am slightly puzzled at why anyone would think Mike Ashley wouldn't invest in Rangers. Surely, if he wants to make anything out of the club, he has to keep it going. Ashleys main job is selling shirts, a successful Rangers obviously sells more than a poor Rangers. Unfortunately, I think the good times are a whole lot nearer under Ashley than they have been at any time in the past two years. They're certainly a whole lot nearer than they would have been under King.

I would think i would be classed as a fairly loyal Rangers supporter who attends most games. I haven't bought a Rangers top in 15+ years. Driving around my local town i know most of those that attend Ibrox on a regular basis and i cant think of one of them who wears a Rangers top. The vast majority of the tops i see are worn by people that haven't been near Ibrox in years if at all. They couldn't care less how well Rangers are doing. They wear the top because they are 'Pyoor guid Proddies'.. Obviously not a view that is popular among Rangers supporter but from what i have seen in my local west of Scotland town i would say that is pretty accurate.

I would think i would be classed as a fairly loyal Rangers supporter who attends most games. I haven't bought a Rangers top in 15+ years. Driving around my local town i know most of those that attend Ibrox on a regular basis and i cant think of one of them who wears a Rangers top. The vast majority of the tops i see are worn by people that haven't been near Ibrox in years if at all. They couldn't care less how well Rangers are doing. They wear the top because they are 'Pyoor guid Proddies'.. Obviously not a view that is popular among Rangers supporter but from what i have seen in my local west of Scotland town i would say that is pretty accurate.

i am at more or less every game and have not bought a top since I eft school 3 year ago, my last shirt was the one from walters last season. in saying that in school i used to get all 3 kits, the trackies and even sometimes the goalie top :lol:

i am at more or less every game and have not bought a top since I eft school 3 year ago, my last shirt was the one from walters last season. in saying that in school i used to get all 3 kits, the trackies and even sometimes the goalie top :lol:

I was almost the same. You did get the occasional looney tune that turned up at OF games or Cup Finals wearing the full kit and thinking they were a cool as **** :lol: .

All the talk of investment / europe etc is way too premature . All Ashley has done is loan £2m , which at best might last till December , depending how much other bills/ debts / pay offs have to be accounted for .. Then what ?? If the accounts do get signed off on the strength of this loan , do rangers fans think the board would go for a share issue again?? Going by the last one i seriously doubt anybody is going to chuck more £££,s into this black hole. .Could Ashley / rangers retail side of RIFC be lining themselves up to be the best placed crediters in the event of an insolvency ? Strange that he,s loaned the TRFC the money and not RIFC like the last loans by Easdale / letham ..

The way I see it is:

You have Mike Ashley whom I'd assume wants the Club run sustainably in the long term (negating his need for regular cash injections to make the payroll) and allowing him to continually make his money via tying the Club down to commercial contracts to suit his Sports Direct Company.

and on the other hand you have:

The Faceless Financial Institutions that just want to bleed the Club dry with no foresight towards where future revenues are coming from!

I'm not for a minute saying Ashley is the Saviour for Rangers and their fans but I'd have thought he stands to make more money in the long term through Rangers merchandise than grabbing the property assets.......and for this to happen he needs a Rangers team on the pitch at Ibrox not being liquidated.

As ever with Rangers though, there are more questions than answers!

A good whack of housing worth millions could be built on the land of the Albion Car Park.

Or many retail outlets.

WE ARE AW ASHLEY !

Does Ashley have a history in property development/management though? If Rangers disappear then so does his merchandise revenue which we KNOW is his mainline business.

I don't think he will invest that much. as i posted earlier i think he will give them another loan and this time it will be against ibrox and the training ground. His men on the inside will control it so that in the event of Admin, which is the only way to clear the decks, he will hold everything of value to bring football back there.

Ashley's business is making money and he can make more money building houses in the Albion than charging cars 7 quid a space every matchday.

You need a corrupt council to do all this. First sell an area zoned only for retail to Tesco and then get them to pay way over the odds for that site. Wait a few years and then re-zone the area for residential housing to be built.

Get yirself a Saints Season Ticket.

You know it makes sense.

Fifty quid also for yir Cab in our Stadium Car Park.

Bargain

He could make that on a couple of the fares from fans on his way home too! :P

Interesting Blog written by 'Buster' on the RST site re Mike Ashley and the disappearing commercial revenue at NUFC. (apologies if already re-posted)

''Mike Ashley has many business interests (including Sports Direct) and they have made him a very wealthy man. When he bought Newcastle United in June 2007 and said “Newcastle attracted me because everyone in England knows that it has the best fans in football… don’t get me wrong. I did not buy Newcastle to make money. I bought Newcastle because I love football.”….it must have sounded like manna from heaven to the Newcastle support as they may have thought more along the lines of ‘Champions League’ rather than ‘Championship’.

Fast forward to September 2014 and the AGM of Sports Direct. The Daily Mirror journalist Simon Bird rises, “I’d like to address a question to Mr Ashley, please. I wonder if he could explain the benefits to Sports Direct in its relationship with Newcastle United and Rangers.”……..There followed a pause of 27 seconds before MA replied “Other than to say than it’s been beneficial to Sports Direct and therefore its shareholders, I don’t think it’s appropriate to comment.”

Those twenty seven seconds must have been uncomfortable for Mike Ashley, without his spin-doctor to lend a hand. In fact Ashley hardly ever has any direct dealings with the media, he seems to prefer various conduits of ‘spin’. That said his actual answer seems to have been a manufactured and in effect an elaborate ‘no comment’, an answer that he repeated for the next question.

There are over 7 years between the “…I love football…” and the AGM quotes provided and they have proved to be uncomfortable for the Newcastle United fans. They’ve went from Adidas to Puma, Northern Rock to Wonga, St.James Park to Sports Direct Arena to St.James, Keegan to Kinnear to Pardew (amongst others), 14th in the Deloittes football rich list to 25th, ‘for sale’ sign put-up, taken down, put-up, taken down, put-up etc and a season in the Championship to boot…..and that is only a fraction of the ‘soap opera’. But for now lets concentrate on what seems to be “beneficial to Sports Direct” and specifically the Commercial Revenue of Newcastle Utd.

For the purpose of analysis, income/turnover for football clubs is broken down into three categories. 1. Matchday (MD): Simply the income that is generated by tickets, food kiosks, hospitality etc. 2. Broadcast (BD): TV and radio rights income 3. Commercial (CR): Pretty much everything else including merchandise. (%CR/T): The percentage of CR within Total Turnover.

In the three years prior to Ashley taking over, have a look at how much of the ‘revenue pie’ that commercial revenue contributed to overall Newcastle Utd. turnover. An average of just over 30%.

Figures are Pounds Sterling / Millions

Pre Ashley

………………Turnover………MD……..BR…………CR……….%CR/T

2004/05……..87.1…………35.3…….27.9……….23.9………(27%)

2005/06……..85.9…………31.5…….26.5……….27.9………(32%)

2006/07……..87.1…………33.6…….25.9……….27.6………(32%)

Now have a look at some more recent figures with the Ashley/Sports Direct influence.

……………..Turnover……….MD……..BR…………CR……….%CR/T

2011/12…….93.3………….23.9…….55.6……….13.8………(15%)

The numbers from Deloittes don’t lie but what lies behind the lack of commercial revenue? In 2012/13, the Commercial revenue had increased to 17.1M and was still 15% of overall turnover but trends during the 7 years of the Ashley ownership are confusing for a merchandising guru who once said “Matchday and commercial revenue is a key driver because that is where the club can compete with – and outperform – its competitors to enhance its spending capabilities.”

The reality of those 7 years is more famine than feast, at least for Newcastle United who are the only EPL club to have seen their commercial revenue go down in that time frame. The numbers are stark, an approximate 30% drop whilst similar sized clubs have enjoyed large gains, Villa 114%, Sunderland 81%, Everton 59%.

Stranger still when you have Dan Jones, partner in the Sports Business Group at Deloitte and the main man behind their ‘Football Rich List’ saying on BBC Radio…. “For the first time ever we’ve got most of the clubs on our list making more money from commercial sources than anywhere else.

“Historically, matchday was always the biggest earner for clubs, then it was TV, now for these biggest clubs around the world it is commercial – which includes sponsorship, shirt sales, partnerships, licensing deals; basically everything that isn’t TV and tickets.”

So where has it vanished to?

Perhaps the Ashley answer to the question (above) put to him regards Newcastle and Rangers at the Sports Direct AGM may give us a clue. “Other than to say than it’s been beneficial to Sports Direct and therefore its shareholders, I don’t think it’s appropriate to comment.”

That from the man who at the beginning said he wasn’t getting into football to make money.

Get yirself a Saints Season Ticket.

You know it makes sense.

Fifty quid also for yir Cab in our Stadium Car Park.

Bargain

As if i wasn't depressed enough :P

I have one mate busting my head about the evils of Ashley and another mate...well kinda mate...Telling me we will be in the Champions League within 2 years competing with the 'Big Boys'. I go and watch City 5 -6 times a season and they cant compete with the Champions League big boys. What hope has any Scottish club ?

Archived